U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:29 AM

3,852 posts, read 8,701,206 times

Advertisements

I was browsing Fresh & Easy last night, and I found a ridiculiously good deal on a HUGE sirloin roast. It was normally $25 on sale for $8. Of course I bought it!

My only problem...what do I do with it? Is it like a regular roast, meaning toss it in the crockpot with some seasonings and veggies?

I love cooking and experimenting, but I don't know where to start!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 11:33 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,469 posts, read 6,501,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I was browsing Fresh & Easy last night, and I found a ridiculiously good deal on a HUGE sirloin roast. It was normally $25 on sale for $8. Of course I bought it!

My only problem...what do I do with it? Is it like a regular roast, meaning toss it in the crockpot with some seasonings and veggies?

Took the words outta my mouth with crockpot

Just found that you can never go wrong with that myself!

Old 12-30-2009, 01:15 PM

5,331 posts, read 5,510,632 times
Rub it with kosher salt & fresh ground black pepper
and put it on the grill

Old 12-30-2009, 01:31 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,265,975 times
Chop an onion and 3 cloves of garlic, put in bottom of crockpot. Season roast with salt, pepper, and herbs, put in crockpot. Dump a bottle of BBQ sauce in crockpot. Cook on low for 10 hours.

You will come back and thank me for it.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:30 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,983,060 times
Quote:

If it has lots of marbling, use the crock pot. Any recipe with lots of garlic works for me

The roasts with little marbling don't do well in a crock pot even with lots of liquid. They get .... dry.

IMO

Old 12-30-2009, 02:47 PM

3,367 posts, read 10,378,833 times
I'd do the Olde English traditional version - season, sear, then roast in the oven, and serve medium rare.... with yorkshire pudding and roast potatoes (roasted in goose fat) roast parsnips (and some steamed veg, ideally Brussels Sprouts) all served with a really good gravy. YUMMM

Last edited by Beretta; 12-30-2009 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: linking to blog

Old 12-30-2009, 04:14 PM

10,986 posts, read 10,255,248 times
In a large cast iron dutch oven, place the meat in with a couple of tablespoons of oil. Season with onion powder, garlic powder, season salt - etc......Brown (sear) all sides of the roast very well, add 1 can french onion soup and one of beef broth (or any combination you like - just make sure the liquid comes up half way of the roast) - turn stove down just to simmer until tender. Takes a couple of hours sometimes - just keep checking. Remove when tender and make gravy out of the drippings. Depending on how big the roast is, sometimes I will turn it over when I think it is about half way done.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:28 PM

2,480 posts, read 4,866,582 times
Default Beef Sirloin Tips Recipe

My parents for Christmas sent us a Omaha Steaks package. Included was beef sirloin tips. I have never had them and am looking for recipes. I don't have a crock pot.
I know I could google it but am looking for "tried and true" recipes. Recipes you use and love.
So many times I try online recipes even after reading reviews and they still don't work. Hey I depend you guys!
TIA

Old 12-30-2009, 06:49 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,983,060 times
Use them in your favorite beef stroganoff recipe. With lots and lots of mushrooms!

Or Beef bourguignon (sp??) - if you like your beef with red wine.

Heck, you can even make fancy beef tacos out of them

Old 12-30-2009, 08:38 PM

15,143 posts, read 25,920,839 times
Quote:

There is NO WAY that I would put a sirloin roast in a crock pot, a method that is generally reserved for less tender cuts.

I would roast it at 350F until it has reached a 140F internal temperature. I would roast potatoes, carrots, celery and other root vegetables with the roast.

You can make gravy from the pan drippings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes