U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:43 PM

25,051 posts, read 18,653,097 times

Advertisements

Well, some of the reactions aren't what I would have hoped for, but they are understandable. When I first found out about the health benefits of cocoa, preferably the pure bakers cocoa without all the sugar added, I tried to figure out how to get the cocoa into my meals. I don't drink milk so hot chocolate is out. One of the ways that worked was to add it to my eggs. Along with the honey, cinnamon and olive oil, it tastes quite good. You don't really taste the eggs, just a sweet cocoa taste. And very healthy. But it may not be to everyones taste. All I can say is try it and find out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 07:39 AM

507 posts, read 2,092,839 times
naaaaaa...think I'll stick with a dark chocolate Hershey bar

Old 01-05-2010, 11:50 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,842,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Well, some of the reactions aren't what I would have hoped for, but they are understandable. When I first found out about the health benefits of cocoa, preferably the pure bakers cocoa without all the sugar added, I tried to figure out how to get the cocoa into my meals. I don't drink milk so hot chocolate is out. One of the ways that worked was to add it to my eggs. Along with the honey, cinnamon and olive oil, it tastes quite good. You don't really taste the eggs, just a sweet cocoa taste. And very healthy. But it may not be to everyones taste. All I can say is try it and find out.
It is an unusual combination. Anything's worth a try, though! It's simple enough and I do have the ingredients.

If it's the benefit of cocoa and protein shot of egg that you're after without the milk, then you could try almond or rice milk with the same ingredients, making a kind of Mexican egg nog. You could even try it in the blender, then hit with some heat in the microwave...would the egg emulsion not be affected, just heated?

There are dairyless custard recipes that use milk substitutes with arrowroot. They're usually vegan recipes but I think if you play with the proportion of arrowroot and egg you can come up with something creamy. That would give you all your ingredients in a cold breakfast, premade and ready to pop from the fridge every morning. I think they'd keep for a work week.

You could also try mixing the ingredients together with less sweet and a bit of cayenne. Chocolate and spice work well together. Make a kind of flat omelet, lay it on a warmed tortilla and roll it all up. That makes it portable. Or if your not amenable to making your own mole, you can buy a jar at the store and bump it up with some of your own chocolate. That would be fine for chopped chicken that you can also wrap in a tortilla with other healthful ingredients and take with you.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:59 AM

41,578 posts, read 16,300,235 times
I think it's worth a try. With the olive oil and all, it sounds like a healthy, possibly tasty breakfast treat. I'll give it a shot and let y'all know whether Mike555 is pulling a fast one on us. I'm thinking not; that this might be really good. Never say never!

Old 01-05-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
What about chocolate covered chicken livers? ........(sorry......carry on )
Rainroosty, you're a hoot!

Old 01-05-2010, 05:14 PM

7,525 posts, read 15,423,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
What about chocolate covered chicken livers? ........(sorry......carry on )
a bit of dark chocolate powder would intensify the flavor.....maybe in a Guinness Stout batter and deep fried...........

Old 01-05-2010, 05:16 PM

7,525 posts, read 15,423,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Bet it would be good with some fresh berrys on top too.........

Old 01-05-2010, 05:58 PM

Okay, folks. I got home from work just a bit ago, made the Chocolate Scrambled Eggs, and just finished eating them. They looked kind of nasty but tasted pretty good. A definite chocolate fix, and didn't taste like eggs at all. If I were to make them again, I'd probably try canola oil instead of olive oil. The taste of the olive oil was a little too strong, even though I used only 2 tsp instead of 3, and it left an aftertaste. I felt the need to wash them down with a glass of milk.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:42 PM

507 posts, read 2,092,839 times
you sure are the brave one huh???

Old 01-07-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnhoneypot View Post
you sure are the brave one huh???

Thought I'd live on the wild side, just this once. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes