Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 12:39 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times

Advertisements

Even if you're not a fan of brussels sprouts (I wasn't), even if you hate 'em, these are REALLY great. Since I've passed the recipe on to others, it's been taking off like wild fire and everyone seems to be making them now.

So, I thought I'd keep on sharing...

What you need

Brussels sprouts -- the younger and smaller the better. Do NOT use frozen; this recipe needs fresh ones. Trust me; I've tried frozen... blech!

Extra virgin olive oil.

High quality sea salt.

And this is what you do

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Place sprouts in a single layer in a Pyrex (or any glass) baking dish. I typically use an 8 x 8 Pyrex.

Give a healthy sprinkle of extra virgin olive oil.

Dust with a pinch or two of sea salt.

Shake the dish a bit to spread the oil and salt all around.

Roast in oven for 50-75 minutes.

Remove and let cool.

The outer leaves may have curled and blackened; if so, you can just peel them off. The sprouts should be tender, soft, and sweet.

Best served warm or room temperature, but not too cold or too hot.

* For some reason, it always ends up smelling/tasting like there's a hint of balsamic vinegar happening, but there's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 01:53 PM

878 posts, read 2,737,433 times
I do this all the time...got it from the Contessa!!!

Old 01-24-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dens View Post
I do this all the time...got it from the Contessa!!!
Ahhhh! I love the Contessa!

I got the recipe -- if you can even call it that -- from a friend of mine (who is NOT a contessa ).

Old 01-24-2010, 03:43 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times
Love Ina and all she makes.

I have par boiled the sprouts, drain, put back into browned butter, salt/pepper and after slightly browned sprinkle on bread crumbs and parm cheese.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:49 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,934 times
Ohhh, I have to try these. They sound really good.

Thanks for posting it!

Old 01-25-2010, 06:09 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Yes, roasted brussels sprouts are great! The outsides get all crisp and caramelized .... mmmmmmmmmm.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:11 AM

271 posts, read 785,396 times
Wow it's cool that I stumbled upon this. I eat brussel sprouts almost every night, always steamed and they just taste blah so I've been putting hot sauce on them. My husband LOVES brussel sprouts so I am going to have to try this tonight. Thanks!

Silly question though...do you cut off the stem part before baking?

Old 01-25-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briannasmomma View Post
Wow it's cool that I stumbled upon this. I eat brussel sprouts almost every night, always steamed and they just taste blah so I've been putting hot sauce on them. My husband LOVES brussel sprouts so I am going to have to try this tonight. Thanks!

Silly question though...do you cut off the stem part before baking?
Oh my gosh, you're going to LOVE these! I would eat them every day too, but I don't often buy them. They're so expensive -- $2.99 for a little "bucket" that contains maybe 12 of them.

I'm not sure what you mean by "stem." The ones I buy in the little basket don't seem to have a stem. I just rinse them, dry them off a bit, and follow the "recipe." (I can't even call this a recipe -- it's too simple.)

They look like this when I buy them: http://typecraft.files.wordpress.com...ls-sprouts.jpg

If yours have any length of stem that's longer than in the above photo, yeah, I guess I'd snip 'em. But only if they were loooong.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:43 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
They're so expensive -- $2.99 for a little "bucket" that contains maybe 12 of them.
The Trader Joe's where I shop has started to sell entire stalks of sprouts still attached for $2.99. Best deal in town - here's a photo for those who've never seen a stalk of sprouts.

http://4.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kuf...8flyo1_500.jpg

I have a great recipe for sliced sprouts with prosciutto and shallots somewhere - if I find it I'll post it!

Old 01-25-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
The Trader Joe's where I shop has started to sell entire stalks of sprouts still attached for $2.99. Best deal in town - here's a photo for those who've never seen a stalk of sprouts.

http://4.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kuf...8flyo1_500.jpg

I have a great recipe for sliced sprouts with prosciutto and shallots somewhere - if I find it I'll post it!
Seriously???? I'm gonna have to make a trip...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes