Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 02:33 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,947,417 times

Advertisements

I'm making my own yogurt tonight and was curious if it was advantageous in using two different yogurts? My thought process is that different types of beers use different types of yeast and thought that maybe establishing two types of yogurt cultures would give my home-stuff some nice zest.

Thoughts?

Any advice when it comes to flavoring home-made yogurt? I was just going to let the yogurt thicken before adding puree strawberries.

For anyone that want to make home-made yogurt, on paper is sounds easy. Here's the recipe.

You need a cooking therometer and two pots. Create a double boiler with two pots. Bring milk (whole, 2%, skim) to a boil at 185-190F. Let cool to 110F then add a half cup or so of store bought yogurt. Let is sit at 110F for ~7hrs. Flavor. Cool in fridge. Serve.

Make home-made cheese from home-made yogurt.

Labneh Cheese Recipe

Last edited by mossomo; 01-28-2010 at 03:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 05:16 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
How are you keeping it that temp? Heating pad or electric blanket?

Old 01-28-2010, 07:50 PM

837 posts, read 1,710,011 times
I like to make my own yoghurt. I have a yoghurt maker that controls the incubation temperature, although this is not essential. I get to pick the milk (I like organic whole milk) and control flavorings and sweetness. (Flavored commercial yoghurt is usually too sweet for my taste.)

There are a few common bacterial strains (mostly varieties of Lactobacillus and Streptococcus) that are used to make yoghurt because of their ability to ferment lactose. I have found that commercial yoghurt can be quite variable in their ability to provide "active" cultures for yoghurt making, regardless of what their label says. Even different containers of the same brand of yoghurt may have variations in effect as far as fermenting the milk. --may work very slowly or may work relatively fast, without any other (obvious) variables.--Kind of trial and error.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:26 AM

365 posts, read 1,252,928 times
I make my own yogurt, too. I believe the "zesty-ness" or tangy-ness you're after is related to the length of time it's "cooked," not the type of bacteria that is involved.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:20 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,206,581 times
What starter would you all recommend? I haven't made it in years, but have recently dug out my yogurt maker. I have used yogurt with active cultures as a starter in the past. Is there something better to use?

Old 02-07-2010, 11:32 AM

Default heating pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
How are you keeping it that temp? Heating pad or electric blanket?
Made it last night with a heating pad.

I brought the milk up to 185 degrees. Cooled it to down to 120 -110. Tossed in the yogurt starter.

Put a cutting board down. Put a heating on it. Put a towel on the heating pad and wrapped it around the pot. Oh yeah, the pot has aluminum foil over it and a thermometer in it. Then I piled a bunch of towels around everything. Managed to work around the cooking thermometer. Kept it at ~110 over night. Bammm - made yogurt.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:51 AM

I threw it in the refrigerator for a couple days. Tasted it tonight. Delicious.

Next is to make some Yogurt Cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes