Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 12:45 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am happy to see, and am likely to bring, a big bowl of cut up melon and berries, etc. In a sea of gloppy casseroles, it's like moisture in the desert.
Also, deviled eggs, homemade potato salad, chinese cole slaw.
I admit I love that gloppy cheese potato casserole made with hash browns, though.
Here's the elephant in the room for me...it depends upon who is in the group bringing food to the pot luck. Unless I know they have a clean kitchen, I'm careful of what I eat.
I am with you on the clean kitchen partI have been know to skip the dish of someone that I know does not have a clean kitchen or does not wash their hands-UGH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 02:52 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Ditto for me! We had an older lady here in the office (she's retired now, thankfully) who brought homemade cookies to work for the department. Little did anyone know, I had previously observed her exiting the ladies room after she finished her business and didn't bother to stop to run the water in the faucet to wash her hands before she went back to her desk.
Where's the "I'm now vomiting" emoticon??? WHERE???

Old 02-23-2010, 03:12 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
I make a pretty mean salsa dip, served warm, and it always goes over very well with guests.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:29 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quiche Lorraine, Onion Tart , and a Savoury sandwich cake ( which everyone so far has always loved - we got the recipe from our Finnish Friends)

How To Make A Classic Quiche Lorraine Recipe (Food & Drink: British)

french onion tart - Vegetarian Main Courses - Recipes - Riverford Organic Vegetables (http://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/recipe.php?recipeid=516&catid=4 - broken link)

A cat in the kitchen » Blog Archive » SmörgÃ¥stÃ¥rta – savoury sandwich cake

And a variety of home-made dark chocolate truffles for afters...

Old 02-23-2010, 03:41 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I try to find out what other people are bringing, so I can fix something that complements it. I've been to potlucks that were nothing but bags of chips and "gloppy casseroles," as someone else said, or a bunch of desserts but no real food. I like to bring something more main-course, like a lasagna or chicken enchiladas, or a crock pot of meatballs if I don't have a lot of time. If I know there are going to be some main dishes, I'll bring a side dish, like a pasta salad.

I don't usually like dishes that are full of mayo or whipped cream, because so often they are way too creamy. I do use mayo in some of my salads but only a little. Nothing gloppy.

I love little things to nibble on, like crackers and an assortment of cheese and meat, or veggies with several dips and hummus. Add some cut fruit, a meatball or three and some little olives and pickles ... yum!!

My office has had two potlucks in the last several months, and someone has brought the same plate of sliced pickles smeared with some kind of goop and wrapped in ham. I tried one at the first potluck, and they are just dreadful. I like ham, I like pickles ... I don't know what's wrong. There are always some left on the plate at the end of lunch, too.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:54 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,291,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
My pan fried onion dip always has people asking for the recipe,
If you care to share this recipe, I would love to have it!

Depending on the potluck and if it is with family, church, friends, work, etc....depends on what I bring. At family ones, we always have good ole fried chicken and I will bring some home made pimento and cheese sandwiches and an easy dessert. But for church, I will bring a homemade butter-pecan cake from scratch, and a Texas hash casserole (meat, rice, cheese, rotel, etc). For friends, I love to make heavy finger foods - meatballs, clam dip, chili-cheese dip, etc....unless they request something particular.

Last edited by Katsmeeyow; 02-23-2010 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: I can't spell today!!!

Old 02-23-2010, 03:59 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
I've brought fresh mozzerella,tomatoes,basil,oil/potato or mac salad/ eggplant parm/lasagne/sweet potato pudding (great at bar-b-cues)/stuffed cabbage/cheesecake/Chocolate lasagne-all depends. And also I am very skeptical of some offerings if I know the kitchen they came from.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:59 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times
pizza meatballs with three different dipping sauces
cocktail shrimp deviled eggs
and fruit dip

What I like to see:

chicken wings
good homemade potato salad
homemade guacamole and salsa

Old 02-24-2010, 07:05 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
fairly simple stuff

I like a salad of diced broccoli, cauliflower, green onion, black olives, and cheese tossed with ranch dressing. Simple and the dish always comes home empty.

Also a casserole of fritos covered with cooked/diced chicken meat and diced onions, covered with cream of mushroom soup and enchilada sauce and baked for half an hour, topped with cheese and more fritos always does well.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:06 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
LaseyEx- I love the mozzarella/tomato/basil idea with a bit of oo and balsamic. Who wouldn't like that?

Moose-that Savory Sandwich Cake looks fabulous. Some day when I feel invincible I might try it. I'll for sure bookmark that website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes