Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 05:59 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post

I suppose you could make an updated version of the traditional recipes though - subsitute leaner cuts of meat and use cauliflower instead of potatoes.
No potatoes? LOL, I'd be in trouble at I did that in my house, we're potato lovers. If potatoes are unhealthy, I'll die happy. I do think I will try the Colcannon recipe with less butter, I noticed reviewers saying they halved the amount called for. And I often use olive oil and butter in cooking instead of all butter, which is half the fat/calories/cholesterol. Plus I'll use 1% milk. So the Colcannon recipe at least can definitely be prepared in a healthier version.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 06:46 AM

17,368 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
No potatoes? LOL, I'd be in trouble at I did that in my house, we're potato lovers. If potatoes are unhealthy, I'll die happy. I do think I will try the Colcannon recipe with less butter, I noticed reviewers saying they halved the amount called for. And I often use olive oil and butter in cooking instead of all butter, which is half the fat/calories/cholesterol. Plus I'll use 1% milk. So the Colcannon recipe at least can definitely be prepared in a healthier version.
I was thinking more along the lines of watching carbs when I suggested the cauliflower. Potatoes aren't unhealthy, just not the best choice if you're watching carbs. I'll sometimes use cauliflower instead of potatoes in soups and stews because I like the taste of it and the texture is kind of potato like.

But cutting back on the butter and using reduced fat milk, would certaintly help to cut the fat in some of this tradional Irish fare .

Old 03-10-2010, 07:20 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I've been thinking, why couldn't I make a red velvet cake with green food coloring instead of red??? Why does this seem strangely revolting, but the red cake doesn't?

We'll be having corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots...unimaginative, but good.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:27 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,221 times
It's not "real" Irish, but you can always make Irish potatoes. Growing up there was always at least one kid who brought in a batch for the class. I didn't realize that most people don't know about them until I moved to Virginia, so now I make them for my friends.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:27 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,058,606 times
Some modern Irish cooks have developed a twist on the traditional dishes, using Ireland's fine produce...

Look at this site for examples of Irish recipes, such as Boxty with crisp streaky bacon and maple syrup

Or look up Paul Rankin or Richard Corrigan - both great modern Irish chefs

Old 03-11-2010, 12:35 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,947,765 times
Living in Philly, St. Patrick's Day was a big deal. Some bars were packed when I was walking to work at 7:30am. LoL. That said, Irish Potatoes were a big hit.

Ingredients
1/4 cup butter
1/2 (8 ounce) softened packaged cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners' sugar
2 1/2 cups flaked coconut
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Directions
In a medium bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth. Add the vanilla and confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth. Using your hands if necessary, mix in the coconut. Roll into balls or potato shapes, and roll in the cinnamon. Place onto a cookie sheet and chill to set. If desired, roll potatoes in cinnamon again for darker color.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:54 AM

639 posts, read 3,527,678 times
Smile Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes

Guinness cupcakes are stout with flavor, good for a house party, not such a good idea to bring to an office unfortunately. They're certainly unique now aren't they! These will be great for watching Boston's "Breakfast" on NECN Sunday morning, bright & early lol, well it's until at least quarter of 1 before the South Boston St. Patrick's Day Annual Parade that all the politicians & dignitaries will be in. Our new Senator Scott Brown "himself" will be making an appearance this year, don't forget to watch it...

Here's Nigella Lawson’s recipe from Feast (Hyperion Books, 2006)
Just like the drinks...

These interesting cupcakes are paired with a cream cheese icing which creates a sort of play on the stout itself, its creamy white head balancing atop the velvet dark drink. Combined with the icing, the chocolate Guinness cupcakes are heavenly as the icing cuts some of the dark chocolate flavor.

CHOCOLATE GUINNESS CUPCAKES
Makes 24 medium-sized cupcakes

Cupcakes
1 cup (250 mL) Guinness
4 ounces (100 g) unsalted butter, cut into chunks
¾ cup (175 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups (500 mL) granulated sugar
¾ cup (175 mL) sour cream
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 tablespoon (15 mL) vanilla extract
2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
2 ½ teaspoons (12 mL) baking soda

Icing
8 ounces (200 g) cream cheese
1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar
2 tablespoons (30 mL) whipping cream

Preheat oven to 350F (190C). Line two 12-cup muffin pans with paper liners.

Pour the Guinness into a large saucepan, add butter and heat at medium-low until melted. Whisk in the cocoa powder and sugar, then remove from the heat.

In a small bowl, beat together the sour cream, eggs and vanilla. Pour into the slightly cooled Guinness-butter mixture. Whisk in the flour and baking soda.

Spoon batter into cupcake pan, so each liner is about three-quarters full. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Let cool in the pan, then remove to a rack to cool completely.

Once completely cooled, make the icing. Beat cream cheese and icing sugar until smooth. Add the whipping cream and beat again until thoroughly mixed and spreadable. Add more cream if you want a thinner icing. Spread onto cooled cupcakes.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:06 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,513,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
Living in Philly, St. Patrick's Day was a big deal. Some bars were packed when I was walking to work at 7:30am. LoL. That said, Irish Potatoes were a big hit.

Ingredients
1/4 cup butter
1/2 (8 ounce) softened packaged cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners' sugar
2 1/2 cups flaked coconut
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Directions
In a medium bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth. Add the vanilla and confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth. Using your hands if necessary, mix in the coconut. Roll into balls or potato shapes, and roll in the cinnamon. Place onto a cookie sheet and chill to set. If desired, roll potatoes in cinnamon again for darker color.
Potato candy, I had forgotten about that my Grandmother used to make that when I was a kid. Thank you for reminding me. It is the easiest candy to make and soooooo good.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:20 AM

639 posts, read 3,527,678 times
This looks SO interesting, "Bailey's & Chocolate Cheesecake"....

BBC - Food - Recipes: Bailey's and chocolate cheesecake (http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/baileysandchocolatec_72293.shtml - broken link)

Old 03-16-2010, 02:47 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,874,317 times
"Green" St. Patrick's Day Martini! The “MINT CONDITION” martini….here’s the recipe!*|*SIGNATURE COCKTAILS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes