Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 06:26 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
We make pizza on the grill outside. The dough goes directly on the grill, no parchment paper required. It takes a few minutes only and always comes out great. We make our own dough, and use gorgonzola, asiago and fontina cheeses (we don't like bland pizza). It comes out great every time and never sticks to the grill. Here's our recent creation:
Wow! Looks good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 02:31 PM

551 posts, read 1,574,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Hi,
I made pizza tonight. I had purchased the Pillsbury dough from the grocery store earlier. I added the pizza sauce, olives, mozzarella cheese, and pepperoni slices. The problem after preheating oven and putting it on the pizza sheet while baking at the required time, it was still soft/soggy in the crust and the bottom was also soft. I tried broiling afterwards, but it didn't really help. What is the best way to make a nice somewhat crunchy pizza? Thanks.

My husband makes the dough (from scratch) then bakes the dough to make the crust then puts the toppings on the crust and then bakes it again to melt the cheese and cook the toppings. So the crust actually goes in the oven (or on the grill) twice. His pizzas are the best ever and most of the time he cooks them outside on the grill instead of the oven but same rules apply. Hope that helps!

Old 03-24-2010, 04:45 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,320,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Wow! Looks good!
I'll second that-I always have problems with my sauce-just can't find the right one! Too thick-too thin-too bland etc

Old 03-24-2010, 05:21 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asonnier View Post
My husband makes the dough (from scratch) then bakes the dough to make the crust then puts the toppings on the crust and then bakes it again to melt the cheese and cook the toppings. So the crust actually goes in the oven (or on the grill) twice. His pizzas are the best ever and most of the time he cooks them outside on the grill instead of the oven but same rules apply. Hope that helps!
I agree with the double baking bit, however, don't forget to "dock" the raw dough the fist time (using a fork to puncture the dough at 1 inch intervals) to prevent air pockets from baking into the crust that 1st short baking.

I stopped using the corn meal on the pizza stone due to the burned flavor of the corn meal that gets attached to the bottom crust. The corn meal will scorch quite fast since it is usually so dry compared to the pizza crust.

Also, expect the pizza stone and your oven bottom to get some of the topping when you either put the pizza in or take it out. I discovered, and I am sure most here already know this, if you have a self-cleaning oven, I left my stone in the oven with one oven rack, and the stone came out almost new clean. They keep warning about not to clean a stone with soap and water; stone absorbs water and then cracks when the water turns to steam.

When you buy a peel, get a file and sharpen the leading edge of the peel, so you have the front like a woodworking chisel, one side flat and the bevel only on the top side. Lowers the angle of the peel to put the pizza on or off the stone. After sharpening the leading edge, wet down the top of the peel with water, to raise the fibers of the wood. Use automotive Wet/dry sand paper at about 300 or 400 grit to remove the wet wood fibers. You only have to do this once, and normally only for a new peel. Keep doing this (wetting the wood, then cutting off the wet wood stand up fibers with wet/dry sandpaper) until the surface is slick. Then work a few drops of mineral oil (AKA, in your drug store, on the shelf with the digestion laxatives is an oil you take by mouth which will not go rancid like corn cooking oil) until there is a very thin smooth oil surface. Allow to set for a few minutes, then wipe as dry as you can. Allow the wood peel to 'cure' for at least 2 weeks, longer is better.

But you all knew all of this anyway.

Phil

Last edited by philwithbeard; 03-24-2010 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: Only do this on once on a new peel!

Old 03-24-2010, 05:43 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Also place the pizza in the lowest possible position in the oven. You could try setting it at 500 degrees, and preheat to temperature.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:17 AM

501 posts, read 1,296,242 times
I made pizza dough from a recipe in my Cuisinart book, put it on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal, and made an awesome pizza, no problem with the crust.

Since I am new at this, I can't help with what might be causing your problem, but just wanted to wish you good luck in figuring it out. Home made pizza is really fun to make and delicious to eat!

Old 03-26-2010, 11:29 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Just pick up the phone.

I've never been able to understand why people MAKE pizza. I thought the whole point of eating pizza is that you can have someone make the food and bring it to your house!

Old 03-26-2010, 11:55 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Just pick up the phone.

I've never been able to understand why people MAKE pizza. I thought the whole point of eating pizza is that you can have someone make the food and bring it to your house!
Not always feasible for rural dwellers, large families or families on fixed incomes. It is way cheaper to make it at home and usually better after you get the hang of it.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:59 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Just pick up the phone.

Because once you have the basics down, one can go for the Chicago Style Pizza Casserole. That is a pizza made in a deep 9X13 pan, thick crust lines the pan, and the toppings fill the pan, with thick layer of cheese on top. A 4-1/2" by 4-1/2" slice will actually go a long way to fill up a teenage male's tummy. Add a salad and soft drink to top of the teenager.

Toppings for a pizza casserole, start with a lb package of Italian Sausage and about a lb of pepperoni, and a small tin of sliced (or diced) black olives. Add other items to your taste; sweated to translucent medium onion, garlic, green pepper, banana pepper, lightly crushed fresh fennel seeds, spices, and your favorite pizza sauce.

Obviously, if you don't have teenage males in your house, you have no need of making this. We're talking food for people with a very high calorie burn level here. This is not middle aged DINKs food.

Phil

Old 03-27-2010, 09:45 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
We make pizza on the grill outside. The dough goes directly on the grill, no parchment paper required. It takes a few minutes only and always comes out great. We make our own dough, and use gorgonzola, asiago and fontina cheeses (we don't like bland pizza). It comes out great every time and never sticks to the grill. Here's our recent creation:
Can you share your dough recipe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes