Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 08:02 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I use a receipe for bakery frosting I've had for 50 years that seems to work quite well for most occassions. The 100 year old old family butter icing is real butter whipped first, then combined with XXXX sugar, vanilla and a drop or two of whole milk if the consistency is too thick. Last but not least is the our old brown sugar cocount broiler frosting we put on a spice cake. Specialty cakes like the Black Forest and Red Devil had special frostings that was more trouble than it was worth.

I really hate to say this, but most of the commercally producted frosting/icing used today it not very good compared to the recipes of long ago that had little shelf life. .
Bringing up an older post with a new question: Can you use a Buttercream frosting underneath a Marzipan covering on a cake to hold it? Or does it have to be warmed Apricot (or similar fruit) glaze on the cake and then the Marzipan?

I like the recipe you provided Linicx. Do you think I can substitute Almond Milk for Whole Milk and "Buttery Spread" (no dairy) for Butter or will I have a disaster on my hands? I would rather make my own frosting as I agree that the commercial ones are just awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 11:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,045 times
Dear Gypsy Soul 22:
Yes, your husband means fondant. If you are ever in England, they sell the fondants already made. Pick up several - they last for a long time. They are virtually impossible to get in America or Canada...at least when I tried a few years back. Personally, I prefer American frostings because they are sweeter than the pre-packaged. There are several recipes online for the fondant. One fun trick is to knead the fondant with a bit of food coloring to get a marble effect. Very easy. Good luck! Thought of St. Jude a couple of days ago, myself.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:11 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,978 times
I make my own fondant using the marshmallow fondant recipe on Wilton.com, super easy and tastes much nicer than what you can buy in Joann or Michaels.

I know the original thread is really old but I'm British, and the main difference between British and American icings and frostings is the added ingredients. British royal icing is just egg whites and sugar, while here it's got all sorts of stuff in it. We don't put shortening or corn syrup in our cake decoration over there which is probably the main reason they taste so different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes