Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:53 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times

Advertisements

Having been around awhile, I can usually pick up on when a regular here is particularly salty, having an exceptionally good day, or in some cases sense that something is just off.

I can also sense when some of you ladies are in heat too.

If I'm in a real bad mood I try to avoid posting, because it will come out, and more than likely someone will be on the receiving end of a tongue lashing they didn't deserve. Those are the days the mods love me.

Only one a few very rare occasions has something been said on here to me or about me that carried over into the real world and affected my mood. It was fleeting, but it still lingered for a bit. Overall it doesn't have any affect on my life once I step away from the monitor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 11:07 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
Does your mood offline affect your postings on C-D?
Sometimes. Someone else said it, I have no patience for stupid. I'm not a moody person, I'm generally a happy gal. And I'm pretty outspoken here, but there have been a couple of bozos who have caught me at a bad time.

Quote:
Does C-D ever change your mood offline for better or worse?
It doesn't in either direction really. I have mentioned some of the stuff I read here to friends in a shake-my-head sort of way, along with the good stuff, but it really doesn't affect me once I log off.

Quote:
Can you tell if a particular poster is having a bad day or not?
Sometimes, sure. Some people seem to always be having a bad day. LOL.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:49 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
There is very little barrier between my brain and my fingers, here. It is not stream of consciousness, but it is close. If it comes to mind I'm liable to blurt it out with little worry about the consequences. if i'm in a bad mood i can't imagine that it is a secret.

If anything, the inability to use profanity on this forum is what makes me re-think what I am saying.

Last edited by le roi; 06-10-2010 at 12:18 PM..

Old 06-10-2010, 02:38 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I live alone. What has my mood and things that influence it got to do with relationships? It sounds like a mental health issue to me, and Health and Wellness seems like the appropriate forum.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:38 PM

232 posts, read 542,615 times
Because....one can have "relationships" online? And I don't mean the naughty kind...although I suppose that applies too. I am an moderator/admin on an unrelated board, and have struck up online friendships with many people there.....which lead to many of the folks being real life friends. I originally met my my martial arts teacher on a forum.

The interchanges on my board definitely affect my mood, and my mood affects how I communicate. (Maybe here too but I don't have the same friendships....yet...LOL)

When one of my friends (recovering from a nasty accident) posts about how she is progressing in her physical therapy....that's a big mood boost. Or if someone tells me how I've helped them, or if a friend shares some interesting news.

Likewise, when I get stressed or strained, my communication gets stressed or strained. Sometimes my work schedule goes haywire, and I get tied to the computer for long stretches of time. I can tell in how I interact that I am not my usual self...I may be a bit more flippant or punchy. I may sound aggravated, when I am not. One of the fellows from that community will sometimes get in a mood and go off on a long tear about something (good or bad) that interests him, then apologize for ranting. Many of us cheer him on because his rants are great reads.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:13 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,305,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Different subforums affect me different ways, and I don't know that they affect my mood as much as how I feel about certain things and people.

This subforum is generally a good time. I like a lot of the folks here. It reminds me that there are all kinds of fun, interesting, warm, kind people in the world. It also makes me appreciate what I have in my guy, what with some of the dating horror stories and some of the expressions of sexism and bitterness toward women I've seen here.

I also like the Atheism and Agnosticism forum, just because there aren't a lot of people where I live who like to talk about such things.

My local subforum has a different effect entirely. (FrmlyBklyn, please bear with. ) There are people there whose ideas I might be inclined to listen to (if not necessarily agree with), if only they could refrain from getting personal. Long story short, bashing civil servants and their unions is a sport over there, and my guy is a civil servant and belongs to a union. I actually sat the fence on unions in the civil service up until a few months ago--and my guy knew it because, hey, we talk, and I can be a little journalista when it comes to asking questions. Once I joined C-D, I even asked questions and presented ideas based on some of what I read on the subforum, and showed my guy some of the more articulate posts.

Now? The way certain people express themselves is such that when there's news of a property tax increase or a victory for a civil service union that will result in one, I couldn't care less. I live in an apartment. Not my problem, and I've lost sympathy. That's a big change for me, owing directly to my experience on C-D.
I agree with you on this sub-forum. There's a really nice mix of people and I personally prefer it to all the other forums on C-D.

I have realized that I'm better off staying away from some of the other forums. I have found them to be disheartening and some more than others are full of hateful and vile posters, something that, believe it or not, I have never personally experienced having grown up in NYC.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:27 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,305,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Having been around awhile, I can usually pick up on when a regular here is particularly salty, having an exceptionally good day, or in some cases sense that something is just off.

If I'm in a real bad mood I try to avoid posting, because it will come out, and more than likely someone will be on the receiving end of a tongue lashing they didn't deserve. Those are the days the mods love me.

Only one a few very rare occasions has something been said on here to me or about me that carried over into the real world and affected my mood. It was fleeting, but it still lingered for a bit. Overall it doesn't have any affect on my life once I step away from the monitor.
A little creative "quoting" makes this more interesting

Old 06-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,170,662 times
i am an entity that exists only on CD

Old 06-10-2010, 06:19 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
It seems like some of them are 24/7. Sheesh!

Old 06-11-2010, 04:48 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
I agree with you on this sub-forum. There's a really nice mix of people and I personally prefer it to all the other forums on C-D.

I have realized that I'm better off staying away from some of the other forums. I have found them to be disheartening and some more than others are full of hateful and vile posters, something that, believe it or not, I have never personally experienced having grown up in NYC.
I've found that the ignore option helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships