Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 03:57 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,305,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I sure would. Family is family. When we were young married, they helped us out a time or two. What's more, I've had to help out my idiot BIL in a couple of his fiascoes.

And, yes, it would make things a lot less fun. So? Whoever said life is supposed to be fun and stress-free?
It isn't? J/K

Honestly our lives have a lot of stress already and I worry that it may not bear the added stress. Especially when a little responsible behavior on their part would go a long way to helping themselves and as well as us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 03:59 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
It isn't? J/K

Honestly our lives have a lot of stress already and I worry that it may not bear the added stress. Especially when a little responsible behavior on their part would go a long way to helping themselves and as well as us.
robee, no question, your kids deserved your full attention and don't shortchange them just to help your parents. Of course, do what you can for your folks, but not to the point of putting your mental or physical health at risk, your kids need you healthy

Old 06-11-2010, 04:01 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,326,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
robee, no question, your kids deserved your full attention and don't shortchange them just to help your parents. Of course, do what you can for your folks, but not to the point of putting your mental or physical health at risk, your kids need you healthy
I agree!

Old 06-12-2010, 10:08 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
I agree!
Thanks Great minds and all....

Old 06-12-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Quote:
I agree!
Thanks Guys.

Just a quick update: I just got back from visiting my parents this morning. My dad's feeling a little better today, which made me feel a little better too.

I guess all the anxiety caught up to me this week and my husband picked up on it. We talked about it and the bottom line: I am married to an incredible and honorable man. He will not let his personal feelings towards my parents get in the way of us doing the right thing, if and when the time comes.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:27 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,326,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
Thanks Guys.

Just a quick update: I just got back from visiting my parents this morning. My dad's feeling a little better today, which made me feel a little better too.

I guess all the anxiety caught up to me this week and my husband picked up on it. We talked about it and the bottom line: I am married to an incredible and honorable man. He will not let his personal feelings towards my parents get in the way of us doing the right thing, if and when the time comes.
Glad to hear it! Your husband is indeed a wondferul and honorable man to stand behind you should the need ever arises in this situation.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Glad to hear it! Your husband is indeed a wondferul and honorable man to stand behind you should the need ever arises in this situation.
I do feel very lucky

Old 06-12-2010, 01:11 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,729,262 times
[quote=robee70;14585517]I do feel very lucky [/quote/}

You know, "like attracts like" so it is only natural that you attracted that kind of a mate. Your desire to show unconditional love and care for your ailing parent shows that.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:59 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,747 times
This thread came at a great time for me.
I just got off the phone with my mother. She and Dad live 600 miles from us. Although my brother lives in the same town as my parents, he has been virtually estranged from all of us for many years. He only comes around when he thinks there is a chance my parents will give him money (like his birthday/Christmas). So, it is up to me to take care of them if there is ever a need.
So far things have been okay. Today, however, my Mom kicked my Dad out of the house. (long story, rocky marriage for the last 3 years). Anyway...
I now can't depend on them to take care of each other, to let me know if there is a problem, or anything. They don't tell me anything is "up" until someone is in the hospital. I am at a loss as to what to do. I am a working mother of 3 (two are in college and financially dependent, one is in 4th grade.) My husband is very supportive but also has a full time job. We are busy people and pay our own way but don't have a ton of extra. What extra we do have goes to retirement. I can't just pick up and drive 600 miles once a month to check on these two.

What do the rest of you do that have aging parents far away?

Old 06-12-2010, 06:18 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,296 times
They need to sell their home if they have one and get into a place where they can both live and be cared for. Also elderly public housing often has ancillary services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships