Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 02:43 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who plays a lot of video games (In Houston) and his girlfriend says that it's the main reason why many girls can no longer get a hold of their relationship anymore because of things like "Call of Duty" and "God of War".

What do you all think about this? Do you think it's true? Please explain why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 02:51 AM

232 posts, read 542,535 times
Uhhh....I think anything that consumes the bulk of your time will affect your relationship. Doesn't matter what the title is, or even if its video games at all. And for the girls....well, if they see the guy spending a predominant amount of time with their guy other than them, then mebbe they need a guy that finds real humans a bit more interesting

Old 06-12-2010, 06:04 AM

917 posts, read 2,948,104 times
Sikaranista is right- anything that causes someone to ignore their partner for long periods of time, whether it's video games, sports, shopping, other friends, is going to kill a relationship. For our generation, video games seem a common problem while men in my dad's generation seem to get obsessed with sports or fishing or things like that. Women can be just as guilty- my mom is a real workaholic and when my parents finally found themselves with an empty nest, my dad was really lonely and it put a huge strain on their marriage. It's still hard for my mom to just sit down and spend time with my dad when she knows she has work to do, but she does it because she knows how important it is to him. She just took 10 days off work this week to go camping (no cell phone reception even!) to celebrate their 28 year anniversary. I don't think she's ever taken that much time off before.

Now, to address video games in particular, spending inordinate amounts of time playing video games comes off as especially immature because . . . well, it's a toy and it makes it seem like the guy can't grow up. I think most girls don't care too much if their guy spends a few hours on a Saturday playing a game. However, if a man getting a new game means they won't see him for days til he beats it, girls get very put off by that. I've known several girls who dumped their boyfriends for video game addictions (and yes, it is an addiction if that's what you do with your free time all day, every day) and I can't say I blame them.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:09 AM

550 posts, read 1,214,831 times
Well let's turn it the other way around; what guy would wanna date a girl who sits around watching facebook all day? The problem with videogaming guys is usually not the gaming itself, but the amount of it.

Let me explain;
I was one of these gamers a few years back, and at some point you get consumed and you don't notice the hours flying away. I see gaming as a drug to keep away from today.
Of the people who have played videogames regularly under some periods I think at least half are or have been addicts.
And when you are a gameaddict your behavior can change in many ways:

*You get annoyed at other people easily, especially while gaming. (i sometimes felt like hitting people for calling me on the phone...)
*You become overly optimistic with your time, you always think you can fix it or bike to work a little bit faster than usual, and then of course you stop in time to bike there, but you've forgot that it takes a few minutes to brush your, teeth, tie your shoes etc and in the end you get late. often.
*Your posture is often changed to a more forward-bent one
*You become less social
*You become more forgetful
*You get more prone to becoming overweight

and these are just the ones I can remember from the top of my head.
The Games of today are way different than the ones older people played on their nintendos in their youth, if/when I become a parent gaming won't be forbidden, but it will absolutely be harshly moderated.

If I could turn time around gaming is one of the few regrets I have, and among the things I regret gaming is the only thing I regret doing, the rest are things I regret not doing.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:42 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy89 View Post

If I could turn time around gaming is one of the few regrets I have, and among the things I regret gaming is the only thing I regret doing, the rest are things I regret not doing.
Wow. I kind of feel the same way about the net. I spend way too much time on CD. I spend time on the net when I should be going out with off line friends or doing chores, etc. I am older, tho, and did not spend my youth inside. Our bodies are in their prime only once and it seems like a waste sitting on the fanny for too many hours in a day.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:03 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I have a friend who plays a lot of video games (In Houston) and his girlfriend says that it's the main reason why many girls can no longer get a hold of their relationship anymore because of things like "Call of Duty" and "God of War".

What do you all think about this? Do you think it's true? Please explain why?
I think those girls are dating the wrong kind of guys. Video games, just like pretty much anything else, can ruin a relationship if one partner allows it to. If your guy is "addicted to" or "obsessed with" video games, you have a guy problem, not a video game problem. Find a guy who does not have an obsessive/addictive personality, who enjoys healthy activities just as much as or instead of video games (okay, some video games can be physically or intellectually stimulating but I would not consider "Call of Duty" or "God of War" type games in that category) and you won't have a problem. There are plenty of them out there so it's your own fault if you can't find one.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:10 AM

173 posts, read 391,343 times
There's also the chemical thrill of video gaming. Video gaming is exciting and fun. The endorphins get going, you're winning, you're making progress.

But RL sucks, there's trash to take out, bosses to appease, no fun. So gamers sink deeper into the virtual world, and only tolerate RL (to get enough money to stay on line)

(and I say this because I'm hooked on other online hobbies...)

Old 06-12-2010, 08:19 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Gaming like any other addiction can be toxic to a relationship. Doesn't matter what it is, if it's taking too much quality time away from your loved ones, you need to reel it in and examine your priorities.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:40 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,232 times
If a guy I was with would rather play a video game than be with me, he would find himself alone with his game. I would also wonder about a healthy, young man that would ignore a woman in favor of a game.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:46 PM

496 posts, read 941,062 times
Default yea

I have a bf who constantly plays WoW. We live together. He does ZERO chores around the house. We have a huge yard, garage, etc. He has not mowed the grass in over a year. I actually can't think of one time someone has done it other than me, his dad, or my sister. He comes home from work, plops down in front of the stupid game and plays until 11 or 12. Then does that Saturday and Sunday from morning until evening mostly. It gets effing old. So frigging sick of his sentences cut out halfway through with some comment he has to make through his headphones to the people who have the most urgency in his life. We have been through some sh*t, but this is by far the most destructive to our relationship. I have lost respect for him and think he's a lazy unmotivated little jerk.

Last week I had some kind of respiratory infection and there were 3 days when I was miserable and had no energy. I never ask him to help me with anything, but I had to go over to the barn and take care of the horses. I asked if he'd help and he groaned (this interrupted his quality gaming time) and said ok. And I told him, "Ya know, I really wouldn't ask you to help if I didn't feel really awful." I waited a couple of minutes and headed over. About the time I finished and started walking back to the house, he was getting in his truck to _drive_ over. A couple days later I was taking a day trip with my sister and I asked if he could take the trash to the dump. I had already put it all in the back of my truck, too. He hates being asked to actually do anything... Anyway, we were gone 8 hours and got home to the trash all still sitting there. And I went down to our bedroom and he hadn't gotten into anything other than his shorts and the stupid game and was like, "Is it me or is it cold down here?" I was like, "Dude. It's you. It's because you haven't done anything."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships