Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 11:01 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
In retrospect, no to most of them.
Unfortunately, I come up with about the same inventory. I even think I only really loved my college boyfriend and that was looong time ago... After that I started going down a slippery slope of infatuation, obsession, impulsion, ulterior motives, etc. catalysts I'm not particularly proud of. Then again, they probably were driven by the same type of motivation, so no wonder the milk always ended up being spilled...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 07:48 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
And how about this one?

“You know you love someone when you want them to be happy, even if their happiness means that you aren't part of it.”

Are we that evolved...? It's not that I'd wish him misery, but I'd rather be a part of that happiness...
I can't say I've liked everyone I've loved--including extended family. But I can honestly say there is someone I love so much I want him to be happy, with or without me. I just hope he's happier with me.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:57 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
The key to taking love to its deepest levels is to love someone even when they aren't being very likable.

Love has the power to transform people. So when you love them "even though", you show them their value and worth and potentially motivate them to be better people than they've been before.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The key to taking love to its deepest levels is to love someone even when they aren't being very likable.

Love has the power to transform people. So when you love them "even though", you show them their value and worth and potentially motivate them to be better people than they've been before.
I think you're right. Shouldn't they have been good people to begin with, though...? And what if they weren't? They'll just take, take, take, and stomp on it.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:05 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
I think you're right. Shouldn't they have been good people to begin with, though...? And what if they weren't? They'll just take, take, take, and stomp on it.
Well, with the exclusion of sociopaths and the truly evil among us, like Anne Frank I believe MOST people are truly good at heart. It's just that sometimes even good people behave very badly.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:56 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Quote:
... Have you honestly always genuinely liked the people you loved? Would they have been your friends had they been of the same gender (speaking of heterosexuals)?...
Absolutely. In most cases we were best friends before we were lovers.

Quote:
And how about this one?

“You know you love someone when you want them to be happy, even if their happiness means that you aren't part of it.”

Are we that evolved...? It's not that I'd wish him misery, but I'd rather be a part of that happiness...
Oh yeah, that too, by all means. My wife's happiness is more important to me than my own. In the end, if she's not happy, I won't be either, but that's not why I put her happiness ahead of mine.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:56 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Quote:

Have you honestly always genuinely liked the people you loved? Would they have been your friends had they been of the same gender (speaking of heterosexuals)? By the sound of many a testimonial, that doesn't appear to be the case for many couples. Was it just lust that brought them together? Some other deeper need?

Yes, I do believe "love" has to be a verb for a relationship to be sustainable, but before it becomes a verb it's still a noun and it seems many times it doesn't have much to do with liking the person.
I've been friends with most guys before I started dating them, so, yes, I can say that I really liked them as people and friends before we started dating.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:05 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, I come up with about the same inventory. I even think I only really loved my college boyfriend and that was looong time ago... After that I started going down a slippery slope of infatuation, obsession, impulsion, ulterior motives, etc. catalysts I'm not particularly proud of. Then again, they probably were driven by the same type of motivation, so no wonder the milk always ended up being spilled...
I came to the realization of the futility of "infatuation, obsession, impulsion," empirically rather than analytically.... Through experience... but still arrived at the same conclusion. If you, Sierra, is giving way to something else than "I have to have butterflies in my stomach" criteria, I am so glad.

I've lived through ups and downs in the last 8 years, and coasted it out on something higher than "I hate you guts at this given moment and I am leaving". There were some not liking moments, yep. Yet I hate when people equal it to "settling". It is not. It is "loving although".

Old 06-16-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
If you, Sierra, is giving way to something else than "I have to have butterflies in my stomach" criteria, I am so glad.
I've had a couple of relationships based on practical considerations and one of them was OK and could've survived if it weren't for sort of (not entirely) external problems, but my nature wants the damn butterflies, no matter how well aware I am of the stupidity of that notion... And since I know myself well enough at this point, it's better to do nothing as opposed to messing up my life again.

Quote:
I've lived through ups and downs in the last 8 years, and coasted it out on something higher than "I hate you guts at this given moment and I am leaving". There were some not liking moments, yep. Yet I hate when people equal it to "settling". It is not. It is "loving although".
Yeah, I suppose there's no other way for a marriage to make it.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:13 PM

254 posts, read 414,963 times
Not always. Its quite fascinating how you can love someone, but not really like them. This was the case with my ex. I loved him deeply, but at the same time I really just did not like him at all. I think that is what kept me with him so long.
With my fiance now, we are best friends. I think it is very important to like the people you love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships