Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 04:45 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,249,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Yes, but how does the person receiving it know it is genuine? That gets into trust and if someone is really feeling hurt, they may not trust the person expressing the regret.
You look them straight in the eye and tell them. I don't know about others, but when I make a promise or have genuine sympathy or an apology they know it is real! You can't fake that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 04:50 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Quote:
It strikes me from what I read that many people have very different opinions on saying "I am sorry."

In my view "I am sorry" is to be used when you have upset someone from your words or behavior. It is not to be qualified most times with insincerity such as "I am sorry you feel that way" since it might be telling the other person that if they did not feel that way, they would not need an apology. Thus putting the blame on the other person for making you apologize to them. Politicians are famous for the fake apology "I am sorry that some people might feel I did anything wrong." It is an apology without contrition or desire to change what they have done.

However, I see some people feel anytime a person needs to apologize it is a waste of time. You do not believe them. They are without redemption. Only pitiful,weak, and lying individuals use sorry to escape their just retribution for bad actions/words. These type only result to the apology to deflect with no desire to change, or at least that is how a person that does not accept "I am sorry" believes.

Now I will admit for my view there are times for "I am sorry you feel that way", it is a degree of Social lubricant that can paste over minor irritations. It allows both people to save face. That is if both persons are not really upset.

What do others think about using an apology? When should you resort to it?
Who did what to you? lol j/k Actually I say it if I was at wrong. Or say I want to keep a friendship.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:04 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,345,409 times
I do apologize when I feel I have done something wrong. (I do have a guilt complex)

One time, I have actually forgiven a dude for me kicking his ass.

ME; Hey, I forgive you for me hurting you.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:44 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Default I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
"Sorry" just means that you are expressing regret over some event. It is not necessarily an apology or an admission of fault.
Very good definition!

Old 06-19-2010, 08:09 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Who did what to you? lol j/k
Sorry?? Say what? This thing ain't working correctly.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:01 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
I have a question, can you clarify "Priest King".

I think I know where Raena was headed in joking way, a lot of times questions are posed as "hypothetical", as the thread evolves you find the OP has personal experiences they didn't want to immediately share.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:15 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
Apology needs to be sincere...One of the signs that the person's apology is heartfelt is when he/she actually describes what she did wrong, instead off just saying "sorry".
I never ask for apology, otherwise I don't feel that it comes from the heart and I don't even really care whether or not I get the actual words of apology either. If the actions of this person show me that he regrets what he did, that's enough for me.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post

I think I know where Raena was headed in joking way, a lot of times questions are posed as "hypothetical", as the thread evolves you find the OP has personal experiences they didn't want to immediately share.
virgode you said it right!

Old 06-20-2010, 06:41 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post

Certainly I have had experiences around the I be sorry scenario. However I started the Topic with no particular one in mine. I had noticed a earlier Sorry thread that had people expressing views that people had that are strange to my way of thinking. One thing when dealing with people is to realize how different we look at things sometimes even something as seemingly easy as a definition. Thus Communication problems happen.

Any time two people are in a Relationship they should keep in mind that what seems reasonable to one might be a horror the other person. You will see it in the answers already here on this Topic. It is good in my view to find those differences out so that you can relate better.

So no, nothing hidden and ugly about to pour forth.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Certainly I have had experiences around the I be sorry scenario. However I started the Topic with no particular one in mine. I had noticed a earlier Sorry thread that had people expressing views that people had that are strange to my way of thinking. One thing when dealing with people is to realize how different we look at things sometimes even something as seemingly easy as a definition. Thus Communication problems happen.

Any time two people are in a Relationship they should keep in mind that what seems reasonable to one might be a horror the other person. You will see it in the answers already here on this Topic. It is good in my view to find those differences out so that you can relate better.

So no, nothing hidden and ugly about to pour forth.
Have an open mind is what we all need to have and take the time to understand another person's perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships