Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 07:32 PM

213 posts, read 416,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
how sad is it that this common courtesy is so appreciated...it means that people these days are so obnoxious that any little nice thing we do is praised to the heavens.
I have met too many a-holes in this lifetime that when someone is courteous it stands out. When I talk to my older friends, they think society is going to hell in a handbasket. Parents not discipling their kids, instilling in them a sense of entitlement, people more interested in their cellphones rather than the person they're with, everyone is in such a rush these days and no one has time for anyone else unless there's something in it for them. True ladies and gentlemen are becoming increasingly rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 07:47 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
If you don't want people to comment on your silly concerns, don't post them

As stated by everyone so far on this thread, holding a door open is just common courtesy and good manners. It's not weird, it's not something to be worried about, and it's silly to think otherwise.

Why don't you your mouth? I'm sorry I didn't feel like posting on the meaning of life or the theory of relativity today.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:54 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,463 times
I always have held doors for ladies (sometimes just anyone if they have their hands full) it never occured to me they would feel rushed to get through the door. It is an interesting thought.

Now once and a while the women (approaching said door) will make a snarky comment about it, saying they are perfectly capable of opening a door themselves. Only a few actually spray me with mace and kick me as I lay writhing on the ground. Luckily I am used to such foreplay from women that secretly desire me and am cool about it all.

A rather new phenomenon I have noticed is the young ladies holding a door for me. Must be an outgrowth of all the fem equality stuff. Though I could do without "Here you go Gramps" the young vixens seem to like to say as they usher me through the portal.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:56 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,986 times
15 ft? That's.... Kind of far. o_O It makes me want to rush so that he won't be wasting his time waiting, lol. I mean if I was closer, sure. I say thank you all the time, but most of the time they don't hear me.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:04 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,318,746 times
I smile and thank the guy. I do it too, even though I am a woman. If someone is coming behind me, I hold the door. It is just a nice thing to do for someone.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:06 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,541,693 times
I think it's great.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:40 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I think it's great.

Everyone but our OP seems to agree

Old 06-17-2010, 08:43 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Everyone but our OP seems to agree
Becoz she has worry about unruly dudes, like one Antlered Chamataka, who wait for the women to get into the door, then go ahead to tap their buns and wolf whistle

Old 06-17-2010, 08:48 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,845,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Lets say for example you are walking to a building and you are about 15 ft away from the door. A man is coming out the same door you are about to enter. He sees you and waits until you get there and holds the door open for you while you walk in past him. Do you like this or does it make you uncomfortable?
I'm not talking about a situation where you are right behind the man and he holds the door a few seconds longer so you can grab the door. That's normally what happens everyday. I'm talking about when he goes out of his way to hold it open for you.
I do it if you are a man, woman, kid, or elderly. Shows being nice right away.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:00 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
It's common courtesy, and I like it very much. I'll do the same for whoever is behind me, but only the elderly or someone with a huge load (ie: Mom's with strollers) if they are as far as 15 ft away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships