Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 05:59 PM

190 posts, read 493,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
Those of you who know, I've been online dating for about a year now (my 1 year subscription ends June 30). I've met around 15 women or so, and had some stressful endings with about 4 of them. I've seen a therapist about it, and the most recent "issue" showed me I'm not quite as far along as I hoped to be, but felt I've made improvements.

One of the things we discussed that got me thinking was this statement he made to me: "Dating will always have struggles, but it's the struggle that makes us appreciate the right person even more when we do find them". We also discussed my disgust with the flaky ingore rejection, and "what does it speak to these women who do this?" He basically told me we go through this struggle because finding someone to be happy with is important to me.

After careful thought and consideration, I realized that it is NOT that important to me. Not having other dates lined up, not emailing any other girls the last couple weeks, I feel totally free of the stressful burden of online dating, and let me tell you....I feel so much better. It feels really good to not be thinking about someone else and whether I'll ever talk to them again, what I'm going to do for the next date, what my next move will be, how she'll react, etc. Finding someone to be in a relationship with is NOT worth all this, and I'm sure many of you who have found success will disagree, but I don't think it's worth it for me.

I'm also completely throwing in the towel on online dating. I am considering asking some girls out that I know in person, but online dating is no longer a part of me or my life. I thought about why I was doing online dating and what I was trying to accomplish. Ultimately I joined because I felt like I could narrow down my search to target specific types of girls that I would be interested in based on personality and interests. I have now looked back and realized that I have done everything BUT be specific and narrowing in my options. I've had to broaden them farther than I've liked.

I've looked back at these women and I realize how annoying or btchy they were on some of these dates, and I now understand I would probably not have enjoyed being with them anyway. So why did I like them so early on? I know now that I did it because my response rate on match was SO LOW that if a decent looking girl who had an ounce of personality would respond to me, I felt like she was a VERY GOOD OPTION which was considered a RARE opportunity to go out with. Doesn't matter how you try to explain it, whether it's the huge ratios of men to women, the pickiness of thousands of dudes emailing girls, my looks, my personality, my height, my pictures, WHATEVER, none of the reasons matter except for the fact that my response rate is incredibly low. I sent out 50 thought out, friendly, sincere, but brief emails out and I get maybe 3 back. I've run out of girls to email so I've expanded my search to women I wouldn't like anyway. What's the point of that? That's the opposite of what I set out to do. Honesty and straightforwardness is something I hold very important in someone I date, and clearly that's not what these women have been about.

Pair all that with just the overall better feeling of not being invested in a dating scenario, I just feel really good about getting rid of online dating from my lifestyle. I wanted to thank many of you for the kind words, the slap in the face, and any help you've tried to give me (sorry if I became hostile in some responses), but I appreciate all of it. This feels really good and I don't doubt this is absolutely the right decision for me. Best of luck to all.
Great post. I'm not a fan of online dating either. It doesn't work for everyone. I think it requires a ton of effort, which I have little time for. There is something to be said about naturally occurring passion that pops up on your daily path. I don't think you can fabricate passion. Many women created a canned profile with a smile. Passion comes from chemistry that is almost exclusive to in-person contact. Forget all that messaging to see if its there and only finding out that you've wasted your time again. Life is too short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 06:08 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Op it works for some, and not for others. Starbucks, Grocery store, Barns Noble, church and so forth. Good luck.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:18 PM

190 posts, read 493,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Op it works for some, and not for others. Starbucks, Grocery store, Barns Noble, church and so forth. Good luck.
Good ideas...piggy back off of something you're passionate about. Get passion flowing in what you do and if she's there you both may benefit from transference. This will make it seem effortless. Just don't go somewhere in search mode. Preoccupation with the itch may rob your joy.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:31 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
It's interesting though that you would put so much pressure on yourself when it comes to meeting someone online as opposed to offline. I think a lot of people are the exact opposite. They go online, email people they have absolutely no chance with, and never hear back. But they're OK with it because of the anonymity involved. In their minds, there's less risk. If you email someone and never hear back, you can just shrug your shoulders and say "Oh well." But if you meet someone at a coffee shop and ask her for her number and she disses you, then it stings more, especially if other people are there to witness it. Have you talked to your therapist about why you put so much pressure on yourself like that?
Gosh I agree with this. I think the online venue is FAR less stressful, but that's just me.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Gosh I agree with this. I think the online venue is FAR less stressful, but that's just me.
That's what I thought too, it's over and done if it doesn't work out. And they usually don't live close. So it's not like you are going to bump into them all the time.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:35 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
That's what I thought too, it's over and done if it doesn't work out. And they usually don't live close. So it's not like you are going to bump into them all the time.
Yep - that's one of the very best parts!!

Old 06-18-2010, 09:43 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
I think this is the 10th time I seeing this dude say this.

He's making it all sound tougher than the theory of relativity

Old 06-18-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I think this is the 10th time I seeing this dude say this.

He's making it all sound tougher than the theory of relativity
Or the formula to the hypotenuse.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:22 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,346,533 times
You know, I never understood all of this online dating activity. Call me old fashioned but I like to go out and meet women and talk on a personal level. You see what she looks like, she sees what you look like.

Too often people post "phony" pictures.

I know people are often phony in public as well, but...

I'm not knocking it, but I don't see myself trying it.

Then again, I'm not really trying to date anyway, I just want to have me some fun and be free.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:36 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,567 times
I'm sure you can find some great people through online dating. I rather prefer the old-fashioned ways:

"Hey, want to go and grab a coke?"
"How about we take a walk and get an ice cream cone?"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships