Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 02:28 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,298,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I did not say they wanted to get with you but if they are your friends and you and have a job and you should say thanks for the offer but I have my own money and I can buy my own drinks but thanks anyway.
See, any of my male friends would find that bizarre. When my ex goes out with me, his other ex, and her current boyfriend, both of the guys take turns paying. When I go out with my best friend (who is female), we take turns paying (actually I pay more often than not, since she makes less money than I do).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 02:30 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,972,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
My roommate drives me around because he wants to, in fact, he seems very discouraging of helping me learn how to drive, because even if you take driver's ed., you have to practice to learn how to drive and he doesn't seem interested. I'm no more taking advantage of him by him driving me places than he's taking advantage of me by having me cook for him and make his bed.
wtf? lol

Do you like being the controlled damsel in distress who needs a ride and lets others pay her way?

Old 06-21-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post

Do you like being the controlled damsel in distress who needs a ride and lets others pay her way?
Am I a damsel in distress? I wasn't aware of it! I happen to like cooking for others.

And if I required others to pay my way, what the heck would I need a full-time job for? I need to get on that bandwagon full-time!

Old 06-21-2010, 02:40 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,201,659 times
Free advice. Worth less or more than free drinks.

Sounds as you need to gain your independence, live on your own. Get used to paying for things yourself so that when you do get something from someone else you realize that there is nothing free in life. Your present lifestyle has a cost that will come with a bill someday that you might not wish to face.

All the people writing to you are trying to warn you of the bridge out ahead. Proceed at your own hazard.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Get used to paying for things yourself...
If you haven't been paying attention, I've been paying for things myself since the age of 14. A few drinks here and there haven't changed that.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:53 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,201,659 times
Quote:
If you haven't been paying attention, I've been paying for things myself since the age of 14. A few drinks here and there haven't changed that.
Oh... you are paying for your car, your house, taxes and upkeep on it, your nights out? Well thats a different story, my apologies.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:55 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,523,708 times
Quote:
Does your ex make you pay part of the bills and rent/mortgage? I asked before, but you didn't answer me. You don't have to answer me obviously, I'm just curious.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:57 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,376,587 times
Quote:
I have to get a driver's license to consider moving out, the horse has to come before the carriage. Traditionally, most people learn how to drive when they are in high school, not when they have a full-time job and have to cook and clean. I do have significant responsibilities, to myself and this house, and yes to my roommate. I have no need to "take on" anything else.

You're making excuses when it comes to learning how to drive.

I know plenty of folks who moved/lived on their own without having cars or being able to drive, my legally blind girlfriend being one of them. And yes, it was done on Long Island (Nass. Cty) and eventually Queens which offered better transportation/options because of her disability.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:32 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,568,920 times
Okay, even though I find that living with your ex while dating his friend is very bizarre, I'm just going to brush that aside cause I'm not going to go deep into that.

That doesn't mean that I'm commending her, people, okay?

Anyway, a guy who never had kids and is 10 years older than you...scratch that----

Guy + ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION MORE THAN AVERAGE + CONTROLLING ATTITUDE = BIG TROUBLE!!

I don't know nor care if you're dating this guy because you want the ex to be jealous or, whatever, the main thing is, that you, who is 2 years younger than I am should drop this guy. You deserve the respect of a guy who is giving you the "feel good" stuff in the bedroom and basically, you're maybe just the "pretty little toy" that he can boss around. If I'm wrong, ask him what does he see in you. I'm just saying that you should dump da bozo.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:26 PM

6,917 posts, read 6,832,021 times
No good keep telling her the same thing. Just let the thread die 'cos she has had her question answered now and it is up to her what she does. We have given our best advice (since she asked) and now she has to learn from her actions. In the end it is like banging your head against a brick wall - it is nice when it stops.

Ever noticed how you can tell someone something 'til you are blue in the face with telling them. Then someone else will come along and say exactly the same thing and the person will listen. Just boils down to "there is a right time for everything" - including advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships