Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 05:33 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,374 times

Advertisements

When I was in my 20s I spent most of my party time dancing -- at clubs, private parties, house parties. Everyone did. It seems like dancing gone away in favor of the bar/lounge scene. How come people don't dance anymore? It's fun, great exercise and a stress reliever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 05:36 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
There was a thread on this just recently. I love to dance. And it is still very popular here, even with the young kids. Ballroom especially is enjoying a resurgence - even among the young crowd. My son's high school has a ballroom dance club and he loves it.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:42 AM

I'm in NYC and hardly anyone dances. I don't get it.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:46 AM

283 posts, read 458,616 times
look at the thread named Afraid to dance...learn to dance. Some men don't dance because they are afraid of looking gay dancing. I understand that when you start dancing its intimidating seeing so many good dancers and you feel like you where left behind. On top of that the dancing partner often has untold expectations which often complicates things when you are a beginner (they don't want to look bad Dancing so don't make me look Bad = this one kind of expectation).

Old 06-19-2010, 06:24 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,335,218 times
I can only dance the horizontal mambo.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:40 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris245 View Post
look at the thread named Afraid to dance...learn to dance. Some men don't dance because they are afraid of looking gay dancing. I understand that when you start dancing its intimidating seeing so many good dancers and you feel like you where left behind. On top of that the dancing partner often has untold expectations which often complicates things when you are a beginner (they don't want to look bad Dancing so don't make me look Bad = this one kind of expectation).
You are correct Cris, that thread was by me. Seems you were one of the very few who feel as I do about it. Queensgirl is right though. Dancing probably is fun and I am convinced one can meet more friends and partners when blessed with dancing skills. I still will not get out there without knowing what I am doing. No way would I want people to point and laugh at me. I'm going to learn how to dance and the fingers pointing at me will be by women who are impressed and want to give it a swirl with me.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You are correct Cris, that thread was by me. Seems you were one of the very few who feel as I do about it. Queensgirl is right though. Dancing probably is fun and I am convinced one can meet more friends and partners when blessed with dancing skills. I still will not get out there without knowing what I am doing. No way would I want people to point and laugh at me. I'm going to learn how to dance and the fingers pointing at me will be by women who are impressed and want to give it a swirl with me.
In NYC there aren't as many public venues where people can dance anymore due to the difficulty in bars/lounges getting cabaret licenses but people still go to private parties where music is playing and people are "freestyling."

I wasn't thinking about "Dancing With The Stars" style dancing ... I mean just getting out and moving to the music. No lessons required.

To me, the bar/lounge meetup scene is boring and filled with a lot of posers. I'd rather go out and dance!

Old 06-19-2010, 08:23 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
Dancing IS fun, good exercise, and a great way to meet women, so as a man I very much enjoy dancing. I'm not very good, but a few lessons to learn some basics is enough for most people to look okay on the dance floor. We've recently started taking some group lessons, and it's been very helpful to pick up some additional confidence and techniques.

I have to wonder at the comment that some guys may think it makes them look gay. I don't know any men who think that, or maybe they're just not insecure about their sexuality! LOL And if their so-called friends kid them about it, it's more likely because they're jealous and too insecure themselves to get out there and try it. Even here in the south where so many seem homophobic, many guys dance and even do line dances. Places like Tootsie's and other country-western venues are filled with women AND men who are dancing.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:02 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
In NYC there aren't as many public venues where people can dance anymore due to the difficulty in bars/lounges getting cabaret licenses but people still go to private parties where music is playing and people are "freestyling."

I wasn't thinking about "Dancing With The Stars" style dancing ... I mean just getting out and moving to the music. No lessons required.

To me, the bar/lounge meetup scene is boring and filled with a lot of posers. I'd rather go out and dance!
Well that has ALWAYS been the case. Nothing new there.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,169,841 times
when no one dances with me i start random dances on the boardwalk

YouTube - Snooki Dancing on the Boardwalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships