Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:45 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The fact is she does have a choice, to either give him some or face the consequences - violence. Do you consider those consequences to be force, which is what makes rape, rape? Do you think it should be considered force, even though she is choosing to give in?

Are there any laws concerning this?
I dont know how the law sees it, but I would think he would have to be in a position of authority over her to consider the sexual coercion a form of rape. These days It would be hard to to qulify a spouse an authority figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 10:48 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
From what you've said, no. It's mutual consent, not rape. If she's afraid to refuse sex, she should leave the guy.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:58 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
I agree with Urban, theres a threat of harm as a means of persuasion (for the lack of a better word) consent, but not rape.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:18 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,647 times
Unless every instance is preceded by a direct threat of violence, I'd say no.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:22 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,305,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
Yes, there are laws regarding what is considered "sexual coercion", most especially if made under duress or threat of violence. It falls under the same classifications, the differences being similar to the differences between murder and manslaughter (not THE differences, merely comparable).

It is not technically RAPE, despite how utterly deplorable as it is. It is sexual coercion, IF she's actually (we have only your tale to go on and it's sketchy at best since it began as a physical problem for her and without much description or reasoning at all twisted into her having no drive based on the abuse -- I think this account is hypothetical) facing violent repercussions, ie, if he's actually threatening physical harm to her person OR to other persons as penalty for refusing him sexual access to her body.

All of that without turning it into a discussion of all the things you said you DIDN'T want.
Although I agree with US, I think there's a lot of gray in there. Was he ever violent in the past towards her directly or was he throwing tantrums and smashing doors and yelling? Is she in fear of acts of violence towards her or is she fearful of his angry disposition in general? Is he threatening her with harm or being an abusive jerk that says "if my own wife won't give me any, some other chick will"?

Having sex to appease your SO happens in many relationships, therefore I think if one consents, for whatever reason unless under direct threat, it seems unlikely it would be considered rape. Even "sexual coercion" seems something that would be hard to prove in a long-term relationship.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:37 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Wow. I hope you read post #3.
well now wait a minute here....LOL

yes I read it after I posted...however, there are laws for everything today which sometimes doesn't make sense....

I would hope that any jury would ask her why she doesn't leave....
we all know, men need sex....they have to have it...she claims she lost all sexual desire....so, why is she staying? to be taken care of...are they're no fringe benefits for her husband? It is so unfair to keep a husband at bay...
And, to what degree is the violence...is he threatening her? Is there violence...I'm sorry, I need to know more...

While women are normally considered the lessor strength...it's easy to access, but it depends on her situation only, and of course, there should never be any kind of violence, but I'm wondering if there is any? If she has lost all sexual desire, why does she stay....she is using him?
Isn't that a form of abuse in some way? I mean, think about it, really, in today's world, one could claim anything?

Fact remains, if he is even threatening violence, if she doesn't give into him, she is wrong for staying....why would you want to stay and torture yourself?

Is it rape, no, b/c she is allowing him to do this and not getting as far away from the situation as possible.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:39 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
Too much left out. What's the "violence" you speak of? Is he beating her ass if she doesn't perform wifely duties or are we talking about the feminist version of violence that amounts to "mean looks" and "not giving her money".

I cannot believe I'm reading this. Qualify it all you wish, this makes me ill.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:40 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
Although I agree with US, I think there's a lot of gray in there. Was he ever violent in the past towards her directly or was he throwing tantrums and smashing doors and yelling? Is she in fear of acts of violence towards her or is she fearful of his angry disposition in general? Is he threatening her with harm or being an abusive jerk that says "if my own wife won't give me any, some other chick will"?
THAT is not violence.

Their relationship started with verbal assaults and escalated to physical violence. Whether or not he slammed doors or threw things, she didn't say. It is very common in these relationships though.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:44 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well now wait a minute here....LOL

yes I read it after I posted...however, there are laws for everything today which sometimes doesn't make sense....

I would hope that any jury would ask her why she doesn't leave....
we all know, men need sex....they have to have it...she claims she lost all sexual desire....so, why is she staying? to be taken care of...are they're no fringe benefits for her husband? It is so unfair to keep a husband at bay...
And, to what degree is the violence...is he threatening her? Is there violence...I'm sorry, I need to know more...

While women are normally considered the lessor strength...it's easy to access, but it depends on her situation only, and of course, there should never be any kind of violence, but I'm wondering if there is any? If she has lost all sexual desire, why does she stay....she is using him?
Isn't that a form of abuse in some way? I mean, think about it, really, in today's world, one could claim anything?

Fact remains, if he is even threatening violence, if she doesn't give into him, she is wrong for staying....why would you want to stay and torture yourself?

Is it rape, no, b/c she is allowing him to do this and not getting as far away from the situation as possible.
This is what I was trying to avoid. *sigh*

Creme, those questions you are asking up there, that are actually assertions, have answers that you really should do the research to find. And I would ask that you read my posts again because you missed a whole lot of obvious there.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:45 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,305,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
THAT is not violence.

Their relationship started with verbal assaults and escalated to physical violence. Whether or not he slammed doors or threw things, she didn't say. It is very common in these relationships though.
Of course, you & I know that's not violence. However, there was little background given about this man's prior behavior. Women in emotionally abusive relationships (even without physical abuse) usually feel like they are walking on egg-shells around their SO. I just caution, that women in these situations therefore have didn't perceptions of what a "threat of violence" is. I am not condoning or justifying his behavior whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships