Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 09:23 PM

733 posts, read 1,756,344 times

Advertisements

I'm a straight guy and live in an apartment with just myself and my cat and am not one bit ashamed! I know I'm straight, so what everyone else thinks doesn't matter to me. When I have those days that I'm feeling down, my cat's always here for me. I'm a dog fan as well, but cats are easier to take care of in apartments. In fact, and added bonus is that when there's noting on tv, I can sit and watch her play with my three pet fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 09:28 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
I don't have any issues with cats. My lady just dotes on hers, and he's Mr. cool. I have a dog myself. A silly girl dog, sled breed. Its not exactly dominance driven. We always had barn cats growing up and I made friends with all of them. I never thought of it terms of being a "straight male" who likes cats. Lol....Watching barn cats hunt is hardly for the faint of heart. Vicious little buggers they are. Quite efficient little assassins.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:47 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotStove View Post
Often times I see that guys not only hate cats but think it's flat out wrong for guys (especially straight guys) to own them. My question is why? My parents own 2 cats (yes, I live at home, but I'm only 19 and in college) and while my mom loves them, my dad hates them. I like them and one of them often sleeps in my room.

The only reason why I think guys might not like them is cause they don't respond to alpha male behavior the way dogs do. I like both cats and dogs and don't get that caught up in comparisons between the 2 because they're completely different from each other.

For all you females out there, how do you view straight males who like cats? Does it seem odd to you or do you like it?

My main question is what's unusual about straight guys who like cats?
i see nothing wrong with guys liking cats, straight or otherwise. personally i love cats, be they small domesticated cats, or the bigger cougars, lions, tigers, cheetahs, i love them all. after all a cat is one of natures ultimate hunters.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:14 PM

285 posts, read 534,429 times
It's funny cause I was just talking about this yesterday with a friend. I actually find it really off-putting if a guy doesn't like cats. Firstly because I'm an animal lover, so if a guy doesn't love animals (any kind) I just don't relate to that type of person. I also have a gorgeous rescue (hence my username, 'catmom' lol) and I love her to death. I can't believe the number of men's online dating profiles that say they hate cats. I'm just like, block/delete! I guess it's better that I know that early on. Obviously she's not going anywhere. I agree with you and feel like cats don't play into alpha male crap. I also think they're great at picking out douchelords and other unsavory personality types... if my cat doesn't like someone, she's pretty much always turned out to be right. Cat people are usually more reserved and intellectual, in my opinion, and most young men in the twenties crowd these days are not. I definitely agree with other posters that male cat owners seem to be a certain type, in a good way. I love well-trained dogs too, "trained" being the key.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:22 PM

285 posts, read 534,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishRepeat View Post
I've never seen one that was 100% litter box trained.
My cat is 110% litter box trained. I've gotten back every single security deposit I ever put down, in full for every condo and apartment. In fact, the only accident that ever happened on a carpet of mine was when I got food poisoning and unexpectedly threw up (lol, my bad, not hers). I blacklight my carpets a few times a year when I steam them, and so far so good.. Barring any health problems, I really believe it comes down to the owner, if the box is kept clean and scooped each time they go, they'll use it. But a lot of people slack and wonder why the cat doesn't want to use a dirty box. If I'm taking her somewhere or it's bedtime, I can say "go litter!" and she'll scamper to her litter box and go on demand. I trust her bathroom habits over most people's.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:39 PM

733 posts, read 1,756,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotocatmom View Post
My cat is 110% litter box trained. I've gotten back every single security deposit I ever put down, in full for every condo and apartment. In fact, the only accident that ever happened on a carpet of mine was when I got food poisoning and unexpectedly threw up (lol, my bad, not hers). I blacklight my carpets a few times a year when I steam them, and so far so good.. Barring any health problems, I really believe it comes down to the owner, if the box is kept clean and scooped each time they go, they'll use it. But a lot of people slack and wonder why the cat doesn't want to use a dirty box. If I'm taking her somewhere or it's bedtime, I can say "go litter!" and she'll scamper to her litter box and go on demand. I trust her bathroom habits over most people's.
I adopted my cat from the shelter when she was only a couple months old, and right away...she knew to use the litter box. I don't black light my carpets, but I haven't seen her do anything or smelt anything. I've got a topper over the litter box, so I can't smell anything unless it's outside the box. It's funny, but I feel my cat actually tells me if I slack on cleaning the box. She will meow quite loudly, then once I got scoop the box, she'll take care of her business. Cats rarely avoid using the litter box, so that's not a good excuse for anyone not wanting a cat.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:53 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,375 times
Liking cats might make him a keeper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships