Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 02:01 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,020,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
I'm incredibly polite, respectful, etc to waitstaff, and I tip minimum 30% and women don't give me the time of day.
You are a push-over. If the service sucks, the waitstaff will be lucky if they get 10%. A friend of mine leaves a dime when the service is below par. That sends a message they understand, there is no other way really. What is par? Well, if it's a fine dining establishment, we expect our water glasses to be refilled at the half way point, we prefer not to wait 20 minutes to get our drinks, cutlery should be clean, attitude should be left outside the restaurant. You'd be amazed, how many people think they can pull one over on patrons, just because you're eating at a "marquee" place. Give me a break!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 02:02 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,252,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
If people see gratuity is added, they tend not to add more to that percentage. Usually the types of restaurants that slap on an auto grat put it at 18%, however.

I know in a lot of countries like Australia and all over Europe service charges are generally included in the plate price, but usually those people come here and comment to me how outstanding service in the US is compared to their home country in which every server is surly and seems like they don't wish to be there.

In many places like in Australia or Europe, they may have service charge possibly put in the bill of a restaurant, but if you go toa bar, that just serves drinks, they do not. The service people there get paid higher wages, and you leave small tips, the german for is "trinkgeld" which means drink money. If you leave too much, they insist that you take it back. It should be at most, enough for them to buy one drink. They'll look at you like you're crazy if you leave anything more.

Did you pay for your flights to Europe or Australia?

Old 06-22-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
You are a push-over. If the service sucks, the waitstaff will be lucky if they get 10%. A friend of mine leaves a dime when the service is below par. That sends a message they understand, there is no other way really. What is par? Well, if it's a fine dining establishment, we expect our water glasses to be refilled at the half way point, we prefer not to wait 20 minutes to get our drinks, cutlery should be clean, attitude should be left outside the restaurant. You'd be amazed, how many people think they can pull one over on patrons, just because you're eating at a "marquee" place. Give me a break!
I've never experienced bad service before. I'm referring mostly to bars, given I don't eat out in restaurants much. let alone marquee places.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:07 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,317,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
You are a push-over. If the service sucks, the waitstaff will be lucky if they get 10%. A friend of mine leaves a dime when the service is below par.
I find that people who always claim of poor service are usually the kind of demanding and over-bearing people for which nothing is good enough. Same for men who always complain of women in relationships and people who always seem to encounter children who are devils.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I find that people who always claim of poor service are usually the kind of demanding and over-bearing people for which nothing is good enough. Same for men who always complain of women in relationships and people who always seem to encounter children who are devils.
I figure poor service would be something like them taking 20 minutes to even ask you what you wanted for drinks, get your order completely wrong, refuse to fix it. The only time I've ever experienced things take a while was because they were understaffed. I wouldn't hold that against the waiter. I don't consider that poor service.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:13 PM

10,182 posts, read 20,835,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Did you pay for your flights to Europe or Australia?
I'm curious why some members are so concerned about the OP's living arrangements, expenditures, friends etc? So many "forum detectives" seem to stalk certain members from thread to thread attempting to break them down or humiliate them. If you don't like someone on here, just ignore them, but why dog-pile on them from thread to thread, especially with off-topic BS? Are your social lives so anorexic that you need to start shyt with other members while hijacking threads?

The thread is about tipping and picking up on possible character flaws of people who treat waitstaff poorly. WTF does her social life, rent, bills, or travel arrangements have to do with any of that?

Old 06-22-2010, 02:20 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,020,287 times
Quote:
You're right, I am demanding, if me and my wife are going to drop $150 and up in a place, the service should be on par with the quality of the food being served. It's like ordering a steak rare and having it come out well-done, because the cook forgot that the meat continues to cook after removing it from the flame. Oh, the horror, it's demanding and waay too much work for the server when the patron expects water to be filled in their glass before it reach's empty. I've had good service and excellent service and tip accordingly, if the service is poor but for reasons beyond the server's control (believe me, that will be readily apparent) then they will get an average tip. In the event the server is a natural sourpuss who looks upon patrons with disdain for no reason then they will get a below average tip - usually 8-10% sends a message. IMHO, I think a dime is much too harsh and praising a server while leaving no tip is akin to a below the belt sucker punch, while giving them a kiss.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:21 PM

27,200 posts, read 46,757,871 times
That includes the guy behind the counter at Burger King, right?

Old 06-22-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
That includes the guy behind the counter at Burger King, right?
tee hee, I'm so sophisticated, I would never be caught dead in burger king!

Old 06-22-2010, 02:26 PM

27,200 posts, read 46,757,871 times
Good thing I'm not dating you then, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships