Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 08:17 AM

9 posts, read 43,410 times

Advertisements

Because everyone who experiments with drugs ends up in jail right....I'd like to believe cops have more important criminals to arrest, but unfortunately you're probably right.

And the reason I don't want any treating me like a child is because while there are plenty of good people on CD, there's plenty of people twice my age whining and bickering about the most pathetic things, but as soon as a young adult posts something they hound them with their "experience". I'm not saying it's never deserved, but I think some people will agree with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 08:32 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibbsGC View Post
Because everyone who experiments with drugs ends up in jail right....I'd like to believe cops have more important criminals to arrest, but unfortunately you're probably right.

And the reason I don't want any treating me like a child is because while there are plenty of good people on CD, there's plenty of people twice my age whining and bickering about the most pathetic things, but as soon as a young adult posts something they hound them with their "experience". I'm not saying it's never deserved, but I think some people will agree with me.
I agree, but isnt the reason you put thing out on CD to get advice from those who may have experience and advice. Just filter thru and use what you can and disgard what you cant.

I see your bigger issue is that she is not listening to your feelings and concerns on the matter. That is a point of contention with most of us CD's in our relationships be it a serious matter like drug use or something pathetic like the toilet seat.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:38 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,662 times
Quote:
Because everyone who experiments with drugs ends up in jail right....
No, of course not.

But step back and think about it for a moment: your girlfriend is at a fork in the road. She is choosing the path that will bring greater conflict with her boyfriend, and has the potential to bring financial and personal ruin. And she is doing this in pursuit of...getting high.

Look, I've been stoned as a gourd before. Yeah, it was fun. But is taking it from the level of smoking pot to the hard stuff worth the very real risk of f***ing up your life? Not in a million years.

What she is doing is STOOOOOOOPID. It is self destruction of the highest order. You can't stop it -- it's her life, her choice. But if you stick around she will likely drag you down along the way.

Instead of seeking good feelings via chemicals, the two of you would be much better off having nonstop, mind blowing sex -- its a lot more fun than getting high and much, much less risky.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:46 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:

You've been offered some very good advice here on CD by a variety of age categories along with some shared experiences, if you think thats treating you like a child, you're immature. Drugs aren't any thing new so age has nothing to do with it and I'm doubting you'll get agreement from posters. Sorry Kid, you don't have a clue, but want advice.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:50 AM

2,732 posts, read 3,585,243 times
Quote:
Ok so just as a disclaimer, both my girlfriend and I are 20 and in college, but nevertheless I'm looking for constructive advice so please don't treat me like a child.

We've been together now for two and a half years, and have had a great relationship so far. Very few fights, a speed bump here and there, but we're going strong. Lately however, we have had a new tension affect our relationship and it has left me feeling stressed, depressed, and confused. My girlfriend and I do have personality differences, to put it broadly, she likes to live her life a free spirit and without ceilings (they hinder her potential so to speak) and I am somewhere in the middle, living more cautiously and mindful of the consequences. My girlfriend has for awhile now been into casual pot smoking and such, and I never really minded. But in recent weeks, she's brought it to my attention that she wants to experiment onto harder drugs, not because she's unsatisfied with weed, but just for the experiences. Despite what she says, I think this is largely influenced by her two best friends who have experience with harder drugs (she smokes with them often). For the record, I do trust and like her friends even though I disagree with their lifestyle. But now my girlfriend is getting dragged in too, and it has made us fight stupidly. She isn't interested in the crazily addictive stuff mind you, just the hallucinagens, psychadelics, etc. I've been a leinient boyfriend, but I just don't feel comfortable with a steady girlfriend casually using hard drugs. My girlfriend recognizes this, and feels bad, but pretty much refuses to find a comprimising point with me. She thinks that we should agree to disagree on this issue, and I should let her do what she wants because it's not directly affecting me. I just don't see it as that black and white though, and I feel like I'm making an investment in her that I just don't want muddled by hard drugs, and how they will affect her health. She has tried to assure me that she will moderate herself and not use these drugs more than once a year-ish at most, and I was content with that at first. But now she's tried LSD and loved it, and I'm certain she'll try to do it more like every few weeks-two months....which seems to be the average availability around here. Her friends will also surely help influence her against my interpretation of moderation, which has just been aggravating so far.

So that's kind of the tip of the iceberg, sorry this is turning out to be a long story. What do you all think? I can live with seldom experimentation, but I feel really against casual use. I feel like she's undermining my feelings on this issue, and it has just left me feeling powerless and confused on what direction our relationship is heading. So should I mellow out and ride with it? Or do I have a good reason to keep fighting, even an eventual breakup based on sticking to our convictions?

RUN!! Seriously, get out of the relationship right now! RUN G %%it!

Your gf no longer cares about you, or your feelings, she cares more about her friends and using drugs. There are so many things that can go wrong with you stay with her:

1. Drug sessions usually involve male and female company in dark basements and such, that means she, in a drug induced state, will have many opportunities to cheat on you and you would never know.

2. Hard drug users have increased chances of picking up hepatitis c and such.

3. She could leave drugs in your car, or place of residence and depending on the amount you could get into trouble for it.

4. Hard drug users have shady friends and weird people who lurk in the background. So do be surprised if your personal belongings start to come up missing.

5. Drugs users waste away time, and their life, and will drag you into it.

I could go on.... and I would know as my best friend got into drugs and also other people I know, and all these things (besides hep c that I know) started to happen and some.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:52 AM

2,732 posts, read 3,585,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickassarmychick View Post
i would run.
+1

Old 06-25-2010, 08:53 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times
This is why they call Mary Jane a gateway drug. LOL.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:16 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
But now she's tried LSD and loved it, and I'm certain she'll try to do it more like every few weeks-two months....which seems to be the average availability around here. Her friends will also surely help influence her against my interpretation of moderation, which has just been aggravating so far.
A big red flag here. The question is... what does she love more, you or the LSD high and her good time friends? And because she's a 20 year old and feeling young and invincible, she's going to choose the drug high and her party friends.

You are both 20, and in college. And if you are average 20 year olds, you both are still finding yourself and evolving as people. Plus you've been a couple for two years.

Looking back at my own past relationships, the three year mark was always a very pivotal time for me. And until my current relationship, I grew apart from all of my former loves.

This drug use situation of hers is going to either make or break your relationship. As young adults, you both are having to decide what sort of older adults you are turning into. And I suspect that for a while, your girlfriend is going to sink even deeper into the drug culture for a while with no guarantees that she's going to clean up her act. Until something really bad and scary happens to her because of her drug use, she's not going to stop on her own.

And if her drug use bothers you that much (and I think that it should be of great concern to you), then walk away from her until she cleans up her act. It's a matter of tough love versus tolerance.

You might want to check out some Narc-anon family support meetings. Just to see what other people in your shoes are going through.

Nar-Anon Home (http://www.nar-anon.org/Nar-Anon/Nar-Anon_Home.html - broken link)

Old 06-25-2010, 09:19 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,885 times
Quote:

My experience with people who do drugs is that the only way they stop is by sinking as low as they possibly can. Some that involves jail, other it involves being unemployed nad living with their parents for so wrong they realize they need to stop. For others, they died of overdoses.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:22 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,416 times
After reading what everyone has told you and your responses, I don't really think you want any advice. You know that what she wants to do could destroy her, yet you don't want to tell her that you will leave if she does it. If you are together and she has drugs on her, you could get in trouble with her. LSD can stay in your system for years and years. You can have a trip 20 years after you took it. Educate yourself about the drugs she wants to experiment with. Maybe then you will feel differently. In an altered state she could hurt you or herself. This kind of experimentation is extremely dangerous and risky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships