Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:14 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times

Advertisements

I was sitting right in the middle of these two employees talking the other day. One just turned 21. I know because she was bragging about going down the river with her cooler attached.
Anyway, she told the girl next to me, that she is dating a guy who is 38.
The other girl sitting on the other side of me said,"What? Why? What does your parents say about it?" She said," Its ok. They love him!"
The other girl was just bringing on the negativity about his age, and trying to bring her down. I looked over the top of my glasses at her, as to say,"Its really NOYB."
The 21 yr. old started showing off pics on her phone, and he has arms the size of monsters!! Whhoo Hoooo.. Come to find out, he`s a cop.
Then, the other girl starts saying..."Well, you two make a cute couple, etc.." Ahhh huh!
I am sitting there thinking to myself, "How rude!" I mean, she seems happy, and content. Why would this stranger mouth off something like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 09:19 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I was sitting right in the middle of these two employees talking the other day. One just turned 21. I know because she was bragging about going down the river with her cooler attached.
Anyway, she told the girl next to me, that she is dating a guy who is 38.
The other girl sitting on the other side of me said,"What? Why? What does your parents say about it?" She said," Its ok. They love him!"
The other girl was just bringing on the negativity about his age, and trying to bring her down. I looked over the top of my glasses at her, as to say,"Its really NOYB."
The 21 yr. old started showing off pics on her phone, and he has arms the size of monsters!! Whhoo Hoooo.. Come to find out, he`s a cop.
Then, the other girl starts saying..."Well, you two make a cute couple, etc.." Ahhh huh!
I am sitting there thinking to myself, "How rude!" I mean, she seems happy, and content. Why would this stranger mouth off something like that?
Age shouldn't matter, yet think about it when she's 38 he will be 55..pushing closer to 60. But it will benefit her he can retire, get his pension. Get his senior citizen discounts.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:21 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
Everyone has an opinion. Some people don't know when to keep theirs to themselves. I'm sure she meant no harm.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:22 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Such a difference in age is a pretty provocative subject to talk about with someone you don't know well. It's one thing to say, "I have a new boyfriend" and another to bring up that he's nearly twice her age. It was none of the other girl's business, so why would the first girl mention it?

Years ago I worked with a young woman who was the receptionist for my company. She was friendly and outgoing, but MAN, she had no concept of "too much information" at all. She would just talk and talk and talk about whatever crossed her mind, while I would try to get a word in edgewise so I could say, "Uhhhhh ... excuse me, I have to go." If you asked her "How are you?" she would tell you. "Oh my gosh, I am on my period right now and the cramps are just killing me and I am so bummed out because my boyfriend is coming over later and I know he'll want to have sex but I am just not up to it but I guess I could take some Advil and see how it goes but maybe not because Advil gives me diarrhea" and on and on. I remember one of her monologues in which she managed to disclose to me that she was molested by her mother's boyfriend and had had two abortions (not because of that guy). I started fleeing every time I saw her.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Age shouldn't matter, yet think about it when she's 38 he will be 55..pushing closer to 60. But it will benefit her he can retire, get his pension. Get his senior citizen discounts.
I hear ya`, but its not for me to decide, or mouth off about. She`s an adult now being 21 and all, right? She did say that she has been dating him for a year now...let her do the math.

She did seem really happy and content, so....

Old 06-26-2010, 09:34 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,416 times
Okay so playing the devil's advocate, why did the girl doing the dating mention his age in the first place? Maybe she likes the attention that she gets and the comments about the age difference - otherwise, why bother? You know the saying "When people need attention even negative attention will do."

Old 06-26-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Okay so playing the devil's advocate, why did the girl doing the dating mention his age in the first place? Maybe she likes the attention that she gets and the comments about the age difference - otherwise, why bother? You know the saying "When people need attention even negative attention will do."
I'm sure she does like the attention, When I was 22 I dated a 29 year old. I know I know only 7 years difference. Yet to all my friends that was soo old. Hahahaha.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:47 PM

52,258 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Toxic people, Anti-Socials, Suppressive personalities, you name it, what ever label you prefer.

Many people absolutely can't stand it when others are happy and have to to do many things to "bring" them down, some are more passive aggressive about it, other are more overt.

At the ripe old age of 40, if people try to bring me down I just smile and let it ride.........

Old 06-26-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
This could be true. She`s a gabber though. Not shy at all! I don`t think this girl knows a stranger. I mean, she has been at work for two weeks and already calling everyone by their first name. Very outspoken gal here.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Toxic people, Anti-Socials, Suppressive personalities, you name it, what ever label you prefer.

Many people absolutely can't stand it when others are happy and have to to do many things to "bring" them down, some are more passive aggressive about it, other are more overt.

At the ripe old age of 40, if people try to bring me down I just smile and let it ride.........
If people try to bring me down, I analyze them and think "What da heck do they have their noses up in the air for?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships