Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 06:13 PM

3 posts, read 4,438 times

Advertisements

Okay-here goes:

My cousin is 15 years old and she has this boyfriend. He acts like he likes her, but he really bosses her around. He made her quit her job, and I think he's pressuring her to do things she doesn't like. She claims they love each other, and that they will get married. He's changed her, both inside and out. He's trying to make her the girl he likes, and it scares me.
I'm scared for her. I don't think I can talk to anyone about this. Could someone give me some advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 06:16 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,717 times
All you can do is alert her parents. It is their job to do intervene, not yours. Don't feel you are snitching by talking to them - you would be doing the right thing if you are legitimately worried.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:18 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,659,312 times
Have you tried to talk to her directly about this? If not, then maybe you could let her know that you are concerned about this, and since she is only 15, maybe her parents need to be aware of what is going on as well, so they can keep a closer eye on this situation.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:23 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,331,239 times

A little "persuasion" might be need it to make him understand he needs to walk away.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:24 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Have you tried to talk to her directly about this? If not, then maybe you could let her know that you are concerned about this, and since she is only 15, maybe her parents need to be aware of what is going on as well, so they can keep a closer eye on this situation.

I agree with trying to talk to her first.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:29 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
All you can do is alert her parents. It is their job to do intervene, not yours. Don't feel you are snitching by talking to them - you would be doing the right thing if you are legitimately worried.
agreed alot of the time the parent have no clue whats really going on so if the op is concerned then that is the best route to take and let them decide.

also tell you cousin to stop worring about dating and focus on school and getting into a decent college before she thinks about getting married also they are 15 and everyone at 15 thinks they will marry their high school sweetheart and it rarely works out.

Last edited by GTOlover; 06-27-2010 at 06:38 PM..

Old 06-27-2010, 07:42 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,103,591 times
If you cannot get her to listen to you and if you cannot talk to your aunt and uncle, then contact the school guidance counsellor or another trusted friend. I'm sure if you have noticed a change in her, then others have too - but they may not see the cause.

It's really great that you care about her and are willing to put yourself out to help her. She's lucky to have a friend in her cousin.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:49 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm1912 View Post
Okay-here goes:

My cousin is 15 years old and she has this boyfriend. He acts like he likes her, but he really bosses her around. He made her quit her job, and I think he's pressuring her to do things she doesn't like. She claims they love each other, and that they will get married. He's changed her, both inside and out. He's trying to make her the girl he likes, and it scares me.
I'm scared for her. I don't think I can talk to anyone about this. Could someone give me some advice?
Have you consulted your own parents?

Old 06-28-2010, 01:58 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,091,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm1912 View Post
Okay-here goes:

She is young and confused...she needs counseling shes is confusing love with abuse
She needs to learn the difference
Talk to a trusted person
she is in a abusive relationship her and her boyfriend both need counseling
they are young kids who dont know the meaning of a relationship

Old 06-28-2010, 02:04 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,620,342 times
Is he about the same age? If he's a bit older that's another important factor to consider because kids that age are going through a lot of turmoil and it also could present legal issues once he turns 18. I would talk to your cousin first and if that doesn't work I'd talk to her parents if you're really sure there's a problem that needs to be dealt with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships