Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 09:19 AM

382 posts, read 758,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
That is ridiculous. Post links to research that proves the Y chromosome prevents altruism, nurturing and bonding. There is nothing genetically inherent in men that would prevent them from being caring, loving parents. Lots of people find it had to cope with screaming kids.
Look at Nature and tell me what's usually the role of the female and the role of the male

Old 06-30-2010, 09:23 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,302,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Absolutely not. That's your house!

Do you think some restaurants should be made child-free???

I saw a story on it recently and I am still on the fence about it. One one hand parents shouldn't be turned away from a fine dining restaurant if they want to bring their children in for a family night out, but on the other hand if I am paying $300.00 for a fancy meal, I don't want it to be spoilt by some brat that won't stop screaming.
So go eat at a bar/nightclub restaurant. Those parents are probably paying more than you, since they are likely also buying their children food & drinks. No one likes to be seated next to a loud unruly child, even us parents. The issue is the behavior of the child, not the child himself.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:28 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,318,424 times
Not wanting kids is a choice, and not liking kids is also a choice. However, I can't understand why some people seem to detest children. We were all kids at one point, and I seriously doubt that we were all perfect little angels. I could not marry a man that did not want to have children, because I have made the choice to be a mother someday. It annoys me to go somewhere and watch people act like children have leprosy or something. They are just kids for God's sake.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:30 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,403,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscrapercrazy View Post
Look at Nature and tell me what's usually the role of the female and the role of the male
For the love of Science, it is 2010 and we have fully functional, rational brains. My step sister just had a baby. The only thing she can do better than Ryan is breastfeed. In fact, Maston is MUCH less fussy with Ryan than Ericka.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:32 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
[quote=calicali01;14840291]
Quote:
Well, men with high levels of testosterone could be a problem around a woman with a new born baby. So much so, nature causes a mans testosterone level to drop around a certain time period that his woman is pregnant

Want to back that up with something?
"Nature" does not decrease testosterone levels when a partner is pregnant. What you are refering to is Couvade syndrome which is believed to be psycosommatic and includes other pregnancy symptoms. This arguement would actually disprove your theory that it is not a mans job to care for his children if he is mirroring the mother.

"Brott says toward the end of the woman's pregnancy, a man's testosterone levels begin to drop. As the levels drop, the man may feel less energetic, lethargic and put on weight. There is a suggestion in some circles, the reason why testosterone is going down is to encourage men to be more around their wives and newborns so they won't be propelled by a big surge of testosterone to go out and do something else,"

The Pregnant Man? Sympathy Pregnancy Symptoms | Articles | Pregnancy Today (http://www.pregnancytoday.com/articles/preparing-for-fatherhood/the-pregnant-man-2877/2/ - broken link)

Quote:
As far as a man being caring and loving towards his children, well that's not mans job. A mans job is to appropriately challenge his children which prepares them to be able to live on there own in the future.

It's definitely instinctive because I know every time when I get around kids/puppies I want to wrestle and play fight with them. Play fighting looks harmless, but in the animal kingdom it's CRITICAL for the young pups to practice various hunting and fighting skills.[/
Where is it etched in stone what a mans job is regarding his children. What happens when a childs mother dies.
What specifically do you think apapropriately challenge means. And how does it prepare children to live on their own?

So you equate kids to puppies. And your behavior is instinctive and all men behave that way? And in the animal kingdom, which parent normally rears the young teaching them hunting and survival skills?

Old 06-30-2010, 09:38 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,318,424 times
As far as a man's role as a parent, a man can be just as loving and nurturing as any woman. There is nothing that gets to a woman more than a strong man both emotionally and physically. When I see a man tenderly holding a small child or baby, it melts my heart. My father is one of the most loving men I know. When I have a problem, he is the one I go to. He tells me everyday that he loves me, he has always shown his affection and taken care of me. He can cook, clean, and do anything he needs to do. Also, he is a man's man. So, I just don't get this gender role thing. That is not true in today's world. Many men are single handedly raising their children and doing a great job of it.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:41 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscrapercrazy View Post
I can look at society and tell you social norms in most cultures/religions have dictated that the female role was to care for the children and the male role to provide food, shelter and protection under normal circumstances.
If by looking at nature you mean the animal kingdom, it is as varied as our society today. Different species take on different parenting and "family" dynamics and outside influences can even change those dynamics.

Todays society is much changed and it is obvious that men are as willing and capable to nuture and care for their children as women are as willing and capable to be the providers.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:48 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,403,421 times
YAY!! Pseudo Science. You can ask any athletic man, and they will tell you it seems T cycles naturally. Last Tuesday I COULD NOT find enough weight to bench press with. I was an animal. Yesterday I literally could not get past a warm up.

What were the baselines? How often were samples taken? What was the overall time frame of the study? Did they test for a placebo effect? Numbers can, and often do, lie.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:49 AM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,069 times
Quote:
Want to back that up with something?
"Nature" does not decrease testosterone levels when a partner is pregnant.

I just did. It's in the article that a mans testosterone decreases at the end of a woman's pregnancy.

Quote:
Where is it etched in stone what a mans job is regarding his children.
You're right, it's not "etched in stone" but it's overwhelmingly obvious that a females job is to wean her offspring, and later on, it's the males job to cultivate skills and survival tactics so the children can fend for themselves in the future.

Quote:
What specifically do you think apapropriately challenge means.
2mares?! Are you serious? You don't know the answer to this?! Please, don't play dumb with me.

Quote:
And how does it prepare children to live on their own?
Really you don't know this?

Quote:
What happens when a childs mother dies.
Don't know this is an extreme case.

Quote:
So you equate kids to puppies.
Why not?

Quote:
And your behavior is instinctive and all men behave that way?

And yes, all my buds, ALL OF THEM wrestle and rough house with their children. In fact, I only see MEN roughhousing with children.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:57 AM

382 posts, read 758,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
For the love of Science, it is 2010 and we have fully functional, rational brains. My step sister just had a baby. The only thing she can do better than Ryan is breastfeed. In fact, Maston is MUCH less fussy with Ryan than Ericka.
Sorry you got me wrong. I was not taking the side of dead beat fathers. If a man has decided to have a child, then he obviously has to take care of the kid. I was just saying that it's not naturally his role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships