Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 11:59 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
How about booze? Do women think it is weird that I get a pop when they drink booze? I may drink a beer every now and then but not usually. I have had three this year so far!LOL.........
Hahaha, I live in the midwest now so maybe I should get with it and say pop instead of soda. A lot of my family is from Nebraska, so I heard the term a lot while I was growing up, but I'll probably always call it a soda.

I can't do the midwestern vowels either. Paaaahp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 12:01 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
^to me, "soda" is either baking soda or club soda. Unless you say "soda pop".

Old 06-30-2010, 01:16 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
It's tough when the other person is repulsed by what you eat. I went on a date with a vegetarian once, although I didn't know that ahead of time. She got a vegetarian dish and I got some meat dish. When the food arrived and I started cutting into it, she had this look of disgust on her face. At first, I thought I was doing something or wrong. But then she explained she was a vegetarian. We never did go on a second date.

One woman I work with loves ethnic food. Thai, Vietnamese, Korean, Indian, all of it. She was dating a guy who refused to try any of it. If it didn't come on a bun with fries, he wouldn't eat it. I don't she went out him after the second date.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:25 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,341,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
OK ladies (& gents) I know that this can be a doozy in a lot of relationships. But here's one, OK so how does one's eating habits affect your relationship? For instance, I tend to be a salad & water kinda gal & I eat my food in small portions. I've been out on dates w/ guys & they will sometimes make comments like "You're not eating all of your food. Why not?" & I usually take a doggie bag home.

Does this bother guys if a girl doesn't eat all her food in a restaurant. I think this stems from the way my father treated my mother about her weight & weight gain (my mom kind of let herself go, but then my father who owned a business decidedly told her that he would leave if she didn't straighten out. However, she's always been a big woman) Then I dated 1 guy who told me not to gain a lot of weight, or else.

So what do you think? How often does one's weight &/or eating habits affect relationships?
I just want you to be yourself and eat what you want to eat. Neither should push the other on what to eat, i.e. vegetarian, can't eat this, can't eat that. If you want to lose weight, do it for yourself.

The only time I would ever say anything, and I would expect the same done for me, is if the weight went to the extreme.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:08 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,209 times
My husband has terrible eating habits and it bugged me a lot during our first year of marriage. Before we married I did not realize just how horrible his eating habits were.

It was a shocker. When he grocery shops he buys nothing but junk, sometimes he comes home from the store and there won't be anything remotely healthy in the grocery sack at all. Then I get on his case and we bicker.

I've learned that it's better to go to the grocery store without him and I try to keep things stocked up so I always have healthy foods in the house. I've learned to ignore the junk food he buys (it's hard sometimes).

Most of all, I've stopped commenting on how he eats. It's been a hard lesson for me but I am not his mother and it was causing a riff between us. Now I prepare meals that I enjoy and if he wishes to join me, he may. Otherwise he's on his own.

The thing that really burns me up is that he is in amazing shape physically and I, in contrast, look like I've had a few too many ice cream bars lately. His blood pressure is lower than mine, etc. He is strong as an ox and healthy as a horse, by appearances anyway.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:20 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
My husband has terrible eating habits and it bugged me a lot during our first year of marriage. Before we married I did not realize just how horrible his eating habits were.

It was a shocker. When he grocery shops he buys nothing but junk, sometimes he comes home from the store and there won't be anything remotely healthy in the grocery sack at all. Then I get on his case and we bicker.

I've learned that it's better to go to the grocery store without him and I try to keep things stocked up so I always have healthy foods in the house. I've learned to ignore the junk food he buys (it's hard sometimes).

Most of all, I've stopped commenting on how he eats. It's been a hard lesson for me but I am not his mother and it was causing a riff between us. Now I prepare meals that I enjoy and if he wishes to join me, he may. Otherwise he's on his own.

The thing that really burns me up is that he is in amazing shape physically and I, in contrast, look like I've had a few too many ice cream bars lately. His blood pressure is lower than mine, etc. He is strong as an ox and healthy as a horse, by appearances anyway.
I hear that. My husband always had an amazing metabolism, so he could eat all kinds of junk and not gain a pound. He has a sweet tooth, I like to bake ... bad things happened. His metabolism finally started to slow down (he's 37) and he was unhappy with the thickness that was developing in his middle.

I don't buy or make that stuff anymore, and we eat pretty healthy stuff now. Even if the weight wasn't an issue, he and I feel so much more energetic and healthy eating what we do. I know he sleeps better, and his digestion is better. I've cut back on other things he likes, like deli turkey, because of the nitrates. I tell him I don't want him getting colon cancer and don't let him have junk food when he has cravings. Maybe you could approach your husband that way? If he's not unhappy with his weight or how he feels, maybe assure him of how much better he'll feel and how you want him around for a good long time.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:32 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
My SO is in love with food. The first time I saw him eat, I was amazed because he is so slim. He just shoveled it in. I love food too, but I am much more reserved. I tend to eat about half of what is on my plate (very rare for me to clean the plate). Seeing him eat so much makes me want to do the same, but alas, I would be 400lbs if I did.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:03 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,209 times
> If he's not unhappy with his weight or how he feels, maybe assure him of how much better he'll feel and how you want him around for a good long time.

I shall try that approach, JustJulia, and report back my results

I never would have guessed that eating and meals would become such a source of friction between us. I am trying to be all Zen-like about it and not take it personally because he is an adult and can eat anyway he chooses. Right?

At the same time, he will often come into the kitchen browsing for food while I'm preparing dinner. I will say something like "Dinner will be ready in ten minutes" as a heads-up. He'll grab a candy bar (or two) for an "appetizer" and then not eat dinner because he's not hungry. I don't know why I take it so personally but I do. I still get really offended when he does that.

I no longer cook meals with the expectation that he will join me. I love to cook but it's put a damper on it. I might as well have a bowel of cereal and not bother.

I don't think he grew up in a home where people sat down at the dinner table each night, so the concept is foreign to him. I have the impression that he ate a lot of microwavable frozen burritos as a kid growing up.

On the other hand, I came from a family who sat down at the table every night and shared a meal together. I miss that.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:24 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
Default Weight &/or Eating Habits in Relationships

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I like eating with hands. What fun is a pork chop not eaten by hand?! Picking on bones is fun! I probably won't show my sweet piggishness the very first time and while eating out, though. Some rapport needs to be established first.

We've discussed this before - I don't care for particularly sophisticated table manners in men, such as not touching most things by hand. I believe these guys would be squeamish and worthless lovers.
I think you might be surprised! I like some table manners when eating out, and I don't like eating off someone else's plate. Are there men that are actually squeamish lovers? Hard for me to beleive. Better not say what I'm thinkin'.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:16 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
> If he's not unhappy with his weight or how he feels, maybe assure him of how much better he'll feel and how you want him around for a good long time.

I shall try that approach, JustJulia, and report back my results

I never would have guessed that eating and meals would become such a source of friction between us. I am trying to be all Zen-like about it and not take it personally because he is an adult and can eat anyway he chooses. Right?

At the same time, he will often come into the kitchen browsing for food while I'm preparing dinner. I will say something like "Dinner will be ready in ten minutes" as a heads-up. He'll grab a candy bar (or two) for an "appetizer" and then not eat dinner because he's not hungry. I don't know why I take it so personally but I do. I still get really offended when he does that.

I no longer cook meals with the expectation that he will join me. I love to cook but it's put a damper on it. I might as well have a bowel of cereal and not bother.

I don't think he grew up in a home where people sat down at the dinner table each night, so the concept is foreign to him. I have the impression that he ate a lot of microwavable frozen burritos as a kid growing up.

On the other hand, I came from a family who sat down at the table every night and shared a meal together. I miss that.
The "appetizer" should be a bit of whatever it is you're cooking.

"What's in your mouth?"

[muffled] "Nothing."

Since I only eat once a day, dinner becomes a special meal when someone specifically cooks for me--and just me. If I'm just another burger, it's not so special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships