Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 02:37 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
...Richard Gere killing the lover and all...
Crimes of passion. It happens... which is why people should be careful with these things. It's not a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 02:41 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Crimes of passion. It happens... which is why people should be careful with these things. It's not a joke.
I know. I think they portrayed it - well, if not realistically - at least very effectively. I'm not saying it wasn't a good movie - I just don't particularly enjoy feeling that type of emotion. It's like one of my nightmares - when I wake up thinking I've just done something unforgivable - and it takes a few minutes to realize that it was just a dream. I don't like that feeling!

Old 07-23-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I know. I think they portrayed it - well, if not realistically - at least very effectively. I'm not saying it wasn't a good movie - I just don't particularly enjoy feeling that type of emotion. It's like one of my nightmares - when I wake up thinking I've just done something unforgivable - and it takes a few minutes to realize that it was just a dream. I don't like that feeling!
I get you. I don't like certain movies either that make me feel scared or extremely sad. I just saw Schindler's List for the first time about a month ago. Hated it!

Old 07-23-2013, 02:55 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I get you. I don't like certain movies either that make me feel scared or extremely sad. I just saw Schindler's List for the first time about a month ago. Hated it!
Don't ever watch or read Sarah's Key. That just about killed me.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:11 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
This is an older movie but just got around to watching it recently. At one level, it's easy to dismiss as just more Adrian Lynne crap but on further reflection, does it say anything about the state of marriage today?

Here is Connie (Diane Lane) with a beautiful and expensive house in the suburbs. She apparently doesn't work, has a housekeeper, a sterotypically cute kid and an obviously adoring husband (Richard Gere). I mean, despite being a hard-assed businessman, he treats his wife lovingly, not just as "wife and mother" but also as his partner and lover. He makes it clear he still desires her and of course he looks like, well, Richard Gere.

One senses that she's bored in the burbs but what other rationale is there for her affair? Can there be any excuse for it? In the end, 2 men's lives are destroyed and for what? Some momentary thrills with a young stud? Who is more to blame for the affair? Connie? Paul, her lover? Edward, her husband?

I was looking at another website that was discussing this movie. Many of the women there claimed to understand and sympathize with Connie. The feeling was that her husband must have been doing something wrong to alienate his wife causing her to stray. As portrayed in the movie though, they seemed to have a good marriage. If people have a good marriage, will a person still be tempted to cheat?

Basically, do people expect too much from their marriages and partners? If one doesn't feel completely satisfied at all times, is this a rationale for straying? Granted, it's just a movie, but I suspect there are similar situations such as this going on everywhere. Thoughts?
"Unfaithful" is one of my favorite movies.

To answer your question, I think Connie just got too comfortable (bored) with her husband and wanted the excitement of a new, young, hot, foreign lover. I wouldn't say that she was justified in cheating, but I can understand how it happened.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Don't ever watch or read Sarah's Key. That just about killed me.
Okay, I won't!

Old 04-20-2014, 07:38 PM

33 posts, read 31,222 times
Paul was the greatest victim in all this.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:45 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
This is an older movie but just got around to watching it recently. At one level, it's easy to dismiss as just more Adrian Lynne crap but on further reflection, does it say anything about the state of marriage today?

Here is Connie (Diane Lane) with a beautiful and expensive house in the suburbs. She apparently doesn't work, has a housekeeper, a sterotypically cute kid and an obviously adoring husband (Richard Gere). I mean, despite being a hard-assed businessman, he treats his wife lovingly, not just as "wife and mother" but also as his partner and lover. He makes it clear he still desires her and of course he looks like, well, Richard Gere.

One senses that she's bored in the burbs but what other rationale is there for her affair? Can there be any excuse for it? In the end, 2 men's lives are destroyed and for what? Some momentary thrills with a young stud? Who is more to blame for the affair? Connie? Paul, her lover? Edward, her husband?

I was looking at another website that was discussing this movie. Many of the women there claimed to understand and sympathize with Connie. The feeling was that her husband must have been doing something wrong to alienate his wife causing her to stray. As portrayed in the movie though, they seemed to have a good marriage. If people have a good marriage, will a person still be tempted to cheat?

Basically, do people expect too much from their marriages and partners? If one doesn't feel completely satisfied at all times, is this a rationale for straying? Granted, it's just a movie, but I suspect there are similar situations such as this going on everywhere. Thoughts?
The reason she had her affair was so that they could film a movie. And, as an added bonus, so we could see Diane Lane getting it on in various stages of undress. MrsCPG and I have a Hall Pass list. Diane Lane was on mine along with Melissa Theuriau, Christina Hendricks, Angie Harmon, and Mary Louise Parker. Any one of those could stand in front of a camera and read from the New York phone directory for two hours and I'd buy a ticket.

And, to seriously answer the question, Richard Gere just doesn't have that much range for an actor. He has two emotions: 1) blink slowly and 2) blink quickly. Maybe Diane Lane's character just got bored with him. She was really looking for me and that French art dude would just have to do for the time being.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:10 AM

191 posts, read 220,763 times
I just watched this movie recently. It was wrong of her to cheat but... Olivier Martinez is so hot!

Old 04-21-2014, 08:35 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Dreams View Post
I just watched this movie recently. It was wrong of her to cheat but... Olivier Martinez is so hot!
I wonder if Halle Berry was a fan of the film.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships