Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 06:22 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times

Advertisements

The ideal Catholic dating relationship traditionally begins as a friendship, proceeds to occasional dates, and becomes exclusive (that is, the partners see each other exclusively) once marriage is in the picture. As such, Catholic dating is a prelude to marriage. Finding a marriage partner is, in the end, the sole purpose of dating in the Catholic view. Do you view all of your dates, or all of your romantic partners, as potential spouses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 08:19 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
The ideal Catholic dating relationship traditionally begins as a friendship, proceeds to occasional dates, and becomes exclusive (that is, the partners see each other exclusively) once marriage is in the picture. As such, Catholic dating is a prelude to marriage. Finding a marriage partner is, in the end, the sole purpose of dating in the Catholic view. Do you view all of your dates, or all of your romantic partners, as potential spouses?
I'm not a Catholic, I'm an atheist.

And I've never been interested in dating a guy for just a quick passionate fling. I won't go out with a guy unless he is long term relationship material/best friend material. Physical attraction is indeed important to me, but if that's our only connection, it's a no go. And I have no regrets in regards to men that I've turned down for a date.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:21 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
I think Most men do not. (shruggs)...but I could be wrong.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:34 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
You're probably right.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:04 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Although I am not Catholic, this is my view towards relationships. I don't want to waste time with someone who I obviously would never marry. Once I make that determination that a relationship would not lead to marriage, I nip it in the bud. I know way too many folks who have married the wrong person by not setting their standards high and I really cannot afford the same mistakes.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:12 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
I am boycotting marriage, so no.

I see a date as a way to get to know someone.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:16 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
You are absolutely correct on this.

Back when I was dating, I never ever EVER would think of any gal I went out with as a possible marriage partner. If she for some reason, proves herself as marriage material then fine, but I never ever would say to myself "Hmmm, think I'll ask Ashleigh out on a date because she may very well be marriage material and a great mother to our children". No. I would be more like "Hmmm, think I'll ask Ashleigh out on a date because I sure would like to bang her". That would be more accurate. This is where most men differ from most women.

I dated for fun. Not for marriage. So never in my life have I ever thought of someone I just "dated" as potential marriage partner. Now, if we were exclusive as being officially boyfriend and girlfriend, then over time (2-3 years maybe), some thoughts about possible marriage would enter my mind, but they would be only thoughts.

I think women think of dates as potential marriage partners much more than men, and older women think of it much more than younger women.

I like to add: The first few to several dates with a person is not even enough time to decide on if you actually like them and have anything in common because you are just meeting the "edited" version of their real selves, I think its just plain looney tunes to even be thinking about marriage during this time. Of course, if you are in your late 40s or older then maybe desperation is setting in so you get a pass there, but really, anyone who thinks someone may be marriage material by 2nd 3rd 4th or 5th date is just crazy.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:59 AM

545 posts, read 1,555,501 times
Quote:
I'm a guy and I have two types of girlfriend-relationships.

One type is where I invest a lot of energy and time into since I hope we will get married.

The second type is one where I don't invest a lot of effort and is merely doing simply to pass the time until I find one where I like the girl enough to get into a serious relationship.

I prefer all my relationships to be the first type (since I do want to get married), but if I can't find suitable girl for that then I will settle for type-two relationships. Unfortunately, most of my relationships are the second kind because I haven't found the right girl and I've been too busy with work and school.

I'm not sure if girls appreciate the difficulty of finding someone suitable for the first kind of relationship. But, for guys or for me at least, it's super difficult. Everything has to be close to perfect. It's not just looks. Sometimes there are certain personality traits that can be tolerated in the short-run, but will definitely ruin a marriage. So if I'm dating a girl who has those kind of "issues" then I won't be able to marry her. However, she's perfectly good as a date or short-term girlfriend. Divorce is still very complicated and time-consuming so I'm very wary of marrying the wrong person. There's no way for me to think in terms of marriage on the first date because I don't know her very well at all.

Last edited by Malkiel; 07-01-2010 at 01:06 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 07-01-2010, 02:40 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Not at all. I see them as getting to know someone, maybe being a friend, maybe being more than a friend, maybe being bored to death and never wanting to see him again. Mostly that last one.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:10 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,381,251 times
she is entitled to her own attitudes, but i think she needs to assess how she comes across, or seek out rather than be sought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships