Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 05:13 PM

545 posts, read 1,552,228 times

Advertisements

Really frustrated. Don't want to resort to midnight bars or clubs. Should I go live in a co-ed residence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 05:20 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,497,515 times
I dated one girl in college. I don't think she had any of the classes that I did, but she was in the same club. Phi Beta Lambda--a club for business majors, pretty much.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:32 PM

917 posts, read 2,937,222 times
I mostly met guys through friends at dinner or hanging out (not drunken parties, but board game nights and things like that). I met my current bf through my ex. My ex (we'd been broken up amicably for six months) offered to drive me and his friend to the store. The friend and I clicked and started dating and now, years later, we're planning to get married. I never met a guy I liked at a drunken party and the girls I know who have had long lasting relationships from college didn't either.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:17 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,554,449 times
Either at parties, through mutual friends(usually partying), or at bars. The bar girls rarely worked out longer than one night

Old 07-01-2010, 06:19 PM

6,534 posts, read 7,250,781 times
Met girls in class. Just seeing them everyday makes it easier than just approaching someone you never seen before. At least you have something in common to talk about.

Met other girls just approaching them. I did something that might sound dumb but, hey, it worked MOST of the time and it still does. If I saw a cute Asian girl, I would approach her and start a conversation in her language just like you would with someone you just want to talk to. That means, I didn't say something like "Hello, how are you?" which would make it sound as something I memorized from a language text book and maybe make her roll her eyes up thinking "Ungh! Just wants to practice the language". I would tell her something friendly just to start a conversation and their reaction was typically surprised and happy. They would ask me how I learned their language and start it off from there. Worked in college and still works pretty good so far .

Old 07-06-2010, 09:20 AM

542 posts, read 585,562 times
In my case, it was either ones that lived in the same dorm building I was in or at the dining hall. There was one I had dinner with either once every other week or once a month (can't really remember) for about a year or so, but it never got to boyfriend/girlfriend status (I never determined if she wanted to go beyond friendship or not).

Old 07-06-2010, 09:28 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,597,003 times
meeting girls in college should be easy. if you struggle, then the problem is with your personality and attitude.

first question would have to be, do you talk to them? if so, how does it go?

Old 07-06-2010, 03:27 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,889,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
if you struggle, then the problem is with your personality and attitude.
easy there, don't be so quick to judge. maybe he does have a problem, or maybe he doesn't...

to the OP:

what kind of college do you go to? is it a commuter school or one that is far away from any major city or town so that a large number of students live on campus? that can make a huge difference. i went to a commuter school located in a large city, so most students just drove in to campus, went to class and then went home - there was no real incentive to meet new people because they already had their friends in the city or they had busy lives off campus.

also, whats your major? if you're in an engineering major, as i was, or in any major that is male dominated, then of course you're not going to have nearly as many chances of meeting girls through your classes as the guys in, say, communications or some other such major in which there are more women.

i had very little luck meeting girls in my college years because of the above circumstances, but don't be disheartened, just work on yourself, go to the gym, and things will get better. best of luck!

Old 07-06-2010, 03:33 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,597,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
easy there, don't be so quick to judge. maybe he does have a problem, or maybe he doesn't...

in other threads he demonstrates awareness that his personality is a problem, so i don't think i'm being quick to judge:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
Another thing I don't understand is that how is it that my personality works for work, school, and general interaction but doesn't work with girls.
to me that qualifies as a problem.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,157,109 times
class
parties
friends
dorm
bars
just walking around
dining hall

gd it was so easy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships