Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 09:10 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,420,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
I just posted what I had for dinner and the fact that I burped afterwards. Quick, everyone go to my facebook page to check out the status and comment. Its must read facebook!!!!
I'm not looking unless you promise that there will be pictures posted of what you ate...uh, before you ate it, that is. Hehehe...

My sister is one of those TMI-Facebookers. Every dang day, there's a new update, complete with pictures taken by digital camera/cell phone of every facet of her daily life (including photos of restaurant meals)...topped off with the requisite fawning comments of FB friends. I guess some people just need more attention than others, and if they can accomplish it via Facebook, so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 04:17 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Well all my friends seem to be getting engaged, getting married, having children, buying houses etc etc etc. Basically growing up.

I have been with my partner for 9 years and even though things aren't peachy now, they once were, but still I never had any desire to plan a future.

The thought of having kids gives me a headache, even getting married scares the life out of me. So why is it so easy for everyone else I know?
Yeah, those are not prerequisites for being a grown-up.

Maybe it's not your thing. Not now, not 10 years from now, not 20 years from now...not everyone has to follow THE MASTER PLAN.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:16 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
I'm not looking unless you promise that there will be pictures posted of what you ate...uh, before you ate it, that is. Hehehe...

My sister is one of those TMI-Facebookers. Every dang day, there's a new update, complete with pictures taken by digital camera/cell phone of every facet of her daily life (including photos of restaurant meals)...topped off with the requisite fawning comments of FB friends. I guess some people just need more attention than others, and if they can accomplish it via Facebook, so be it.
Yes, I have photos of it before I ate it, photos from all angles with me posing next to the food. I also describe it bite by bite.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:23 AM

259 posts, read 840,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
You know, I thought the same thing.

It has become a brag book. "Look at me!" Maybe not directly, but to make themselves feel worthy and get a little envy?

I can see it as a way to keep in touch with friends who have moved or family, but this seems to have replaced those letters some put in Christmas cards bragging about the new home, the vacations, the kid's sport achievements, the new car, blah blah.

I don't say much about myself, as my life goes up and down. I just don't see the accumulation of people or things as notches in my belt.
LOL Exactly! I've always called facebook "bragbook" because a lot of times that's exactly what people are doing at the end of the day. I've seen some people go over-the-top with it. I'm approaching 30 so I've also seen all the engaged, married, babies, house buying, nothing's wrong in my life/everything's perfect updates. I often wonder, is everything really THAT perfect (including your husband)?? I'm truely happy for them but honestly sometimes it seems so pretentious and showy to me!!!

Old 07-13-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki9947 View Post
LOL Exactly! I've always called facebook "bragbook" because a lot of times that's exactly what people are doing at the end of the day. I've seen some people go over-the-top with it. I'm approaching 30 so I've also seen all the engaged, married, babies, house buying, nothing's wrong in my life/everything's perfect updates. I often wonder, is everything really THAT perfect (including your husband)?? I'm truely happy for them but honestly sometimes it seems so pretentious and showy to me!!!
Hehehehe....Bragbook. I love it!

ETA: Bragbook.com is available. Go ahead, someone...run with it!

http://www.bragbook.com/

Old 07-13-2010, 09:02 AM

44,353 posts, read 20,056,503 times
Quote:
Exactly! It's like those insipid Christmas newsletters that people send out. No thank you!

Old 07-13-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Yes, I have photos of it before I ate it, photos from all angles with me posing next to the food. I also describe it bite by bite.
Excellent! You have now achieved the rank of TMI-Facebooker. Congratulations.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:27 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Excellent! You have now achieved the rank of TMI-Facebooker. Congratulations.
Woohoo! I was aiming for that.

Thank you all, thank you all. I couldn't have done it without my facebook public cheering me on.

Stay tuned for the cheesecake eating demonstration.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:34 AM

50 posts, read 341,186 times
Quote:

hahaha, that's what I often think too. I know people like to post up gushy updates on how happy they are and I'm not saying they're not, it's just that when I actually see these people in real life, they are most often worn out, fighting with their SO, frustrated with their kids or something of that nature...nothing like the "OMG LOOK AT MAH BAYBAYS IT'S DA BEST AND MY LIFE IS WUNDERFUUULLLL" status. Maybe I just catch them on a bad day.

In any case, I don't feel jealous at all really. I usually look at Facebook and see all my peers from high school and college with kids and a spouse and I just think THANK GOD I'm NOT in that situation yet! I have freeeeddoommm!

Old 01-17-2011, 05:02 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,230 times
I just temporarily deactivated my Facebook account.

I feel like it is doing my head in. I wake up in the mornings and the first thing I do is check Facebook. I know every step of the lives of people I hardly ever see in the flesh, and some I have only met once or twice. I am so sick of hearing about weddings and babies and people complaining about how bad their lives are or lying about how good they are lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships