Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,239 times

Advertisements

All that went through my mind was "Who give someone a purse for a gift?"?.. A purse to me is very personal (its a "main" accessory and tells A LOT about a person)
Your husband had every right to be upset - he was there to buy his aunt a gift and get his pants... not shop for you for who knows how long...

The fact that your husband feels close enough to his aunt and is very grateful that she did so much for him speaks volumes of the type of man he is... and for you to suggest a by-product gift of the SAME thing YOU want... speaks volumes about you... show a little more respect and caring about your husbands feelings for other people and quit focusing on the "me me me me".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 01:07 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I feel you should have been yelled at for buying over priced crap like that. And if you are that wealthy to be buying $150 purses then you may just be insulting others or making them feel bad who can hardly afford food to feed their families. I am not putting you down at all. Just think of others please. Your post may appear to those less fortunate as bragging.
*eyeroll*

The point was more that the OP made the expedition more about herself than how much she spent. Didn't matter if this had been a Walmart trip - she shoulda been focusing on her husband's goal: buying his aunt a gift.

Aside from that ... my charities and do-good notions involve animals more than people. Doesn't mean that I don't occasionally indulge in a frippery for myself. I just did a my third 50 hour week in a row at Corporate Hell and plan a minor weekend splurge as compensation. It's laudable to think of others, but sometimes you have to coddle your own soul. The OP just picked the wrong time to do it

Old 07-02-2010, 01:28 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deranged Pharisee View Post
Do people actually think 150$ purses mean wealthy????
I don't associate $150 purses with wealth because the wealthy people I have known (and I've known one multimillionare and a few "couple of" millionares) would NEVER spend $150 for a purse. They'd consider that a foolish waste. I associate $150 purses with spoilt people with lots of unsecured debt.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:10 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I don't associate $150 purses with wealth because the wealthy people I have known (and I've known one multimillionare and a few "couple of" millionares) would NEVER spend $150 for a purse. They'd consider that a foolish waste. I associate $150 purses with spoilt people with lots of unsecured debt.
I would say most wealthy WOMEN wouldn't be caught dead with a $150 purse. You can't get a decent D&B or Coach for less than a couple hundred and a LV or Gucci will set you back 800-1000 plus. Men view things differently.

As for the OP, yes, you did seem kinda selfish. A couple hours at the mall to find a favorite relative a gift isn't so much to ask. First you want a purse, then shoes? Go by yourself next time and leave the drama at home.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:28 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
I feel you should have been yelled at for buying over priced crap like that. And if you are that wealthy to be buying $150 purses then you may just be insulting others or making them feel bad who can hardly afford food to feed their families. I am not putting you down at all. Just think of others please. Your post may appear to those less fortunate as bragging.
Am I confusing you with someone else, or aren't you the guy who owns a cabinet store? You install kitchens and laundry rooms and such for celebrities and other wealthy people, right? Do you scold your customers too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
*eyeroll*

The point was more that the OP made the expedition more about herself than how much she spent. Didn't matter if this had been a Walmart trip - she shoulda been focusing on her husband's goal: buying his aunt a gift.
Yes. It can be easy to get excited and caught up when shopping. I know I do it sometimes too. But the trip was about the aunt (and I agree that a purse is not a good gift, unless you are very aware of what she likes and will use) and turned into a trip to buy the OP shoes and a new purse, plus her husband was probably not enjoying being dragged all over the place. My husband will go with me to shop for clothes at one or two stores, but he has zero interest in watching me try on shoes or pet the pretty leather bags. It's like taking me to Sears. He's scrutinizing the tools and I want to start whining, "Let's gooooo, come onnnnn, I want to leeeeeeave."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
I would say most wealthy WOMEN wouldn't be caught dead with a $150 purse. You can't get a decent D&B or Coach for less than a couple hundred and a LV or Gucci will set you back 800-1000 plus. Men view things differently.
A mom at my son's taekwondo class yesterday had an adorable Kate Spade bag. Those are easily $300 or $400. It was similar to this but pink! I coveted it.

summerville small natia at kate spade

Men may think a $400 purse is silly, but a well-made, classically styled purse will last years and years. How many guys drop several hundred dollars on a new phone or computer every year or two? Different priorities, that's all.

[/end Julia's purse talk]

Old 07-02-2010, 08:12 AM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,169,841 times
thats the thing about expensive clothes/accessories/etc. they are a lot nicer looking obviously and they are more often then not built to last a lot longer. a lot of people will balk at spending $200+ on a pair of sunglasses, but they'll last me 10 years rather then buying a cheap pair for $30 thats falls apart each year

Old 07-02-2010, 08:35 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
I have two bags that I purchased in Paris, for $300 each and I have no unsecured debt (and far from wealthy). Pull off those dark glasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
I would say most wealthy WOMEN wouldn't be caught dead with a $150 purse.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Men may think a $400 purse is silly, but a well-made, classically styled purse will last years and years. How many guys drop several hundred dollars on a new phone or computer every year or two? Different priorities, that's all.
[/end Julia's purse talk]
Good talk.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:51 AM

156 posts, read 270,196 times
Oh! I honestly did not realize what I was doing. I was just having some fun and had no idea he was upset. He didn't say anything until we left. I would have never done this intentionally and wish I could take it back. Because even today in the morning he was a little upset still. I feel bad. I said we could give her the purse I bought or we could just return it. It's only a purse!

Many of you say your husbands don't like to be dragged around while shopping, but we do a lot of our shopping together. So I didn't think much of it. He waits while I look at shoes and try on clothes and has never had a problem with it. So I didn't think it would be an issue for me to look around also.

So a purse is a bad gift? What is a good gift? They are driving up from FL with four kids, so it can't be anything to heavy/bulky.

As for spending a $150 on a purse, I have never done it and didn't. I usually just buy mine from Target or Kohl's for like 30 bucks. But I do have to say that 150$ one was very nice!

To desertsun, have you ever replaced perfectly functional decent looking cabinets from someone's home?

Old 07-02-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Maybe many people are. But we don't have any debt. Zero credit card debt, and we buy our cars on cash. Our plan for our home is to pay it off in under 15 years. I don't think that's a fair assumption.

I think many wealthy people purchase expensive clothes, purses, watches etc. If you have the money, give to the poor, do volunteer work, what's the problem on buying a $150 purse? They also buy huge mansions. Most people can't get approved for that mortgage or have the cash to buy that. So what about that?

And for wealthy poeple who think it's a waste, I see that perspective also.
I think it just depends on the person. The aunt who's coming is married to a doctor and lives in a million dollar home, but she shops at places like target and is not into buying high end stuff. I'm usually like that too. My husband on the other end likes to buy high end stuff and is more of a spender.

Last edited by callalillies; 07-02-2010 at 09:12 AM..

Old 07-02-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:

You should try working the food bank once in a while. Come by and find me one weekend. I also contribute to ABC's Home Makover as well as build for Habitat for Humanity. There now I am bragging but I am so proud of it. Sorry but helping the hungry, poor and less fortunate is a real close subject to me and I did not like your post. Yankeegirl please don't delete!
I don't think my post was insulting and if it did, I'm sorry for that.
But why the assumption that I don't do volunteer work because I was shopping at the mall?

I was just relaying a story and I wasn't bragging...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships