Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 06:02 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Right person? I was in a relationship for 6 years and she was the closest thing I have found to a "right person".What happens is, it does not matter how "right" the person you are with my be, after 6 years, you will grow apart, and it is never going to be the same thing as it was in the beginning, I think a lot of people on here seem to be living in denial!

I used to think the 7 year itch was a joke until I experienced it myself, nothing can be worse than a relationship that has no passion or excitement. Sex once a week or once a month aint my idea of a good relationship.
Amen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 08:39 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Right person? I was in a relationship for 6 years and she was the closest thing I have found to a "right person".What happens is, it does not matter how "right" the person you are with my be, after 6 years, you will grow apart, and it is never going to be the same thing as it was in the beginning, I think a lot of people on here seem to be living in denial!

I used to think the 7 year itch was a joke until I experienced it myself, nothing can be worse than a relationship that has no passion or excitement. Sex once a week or once a month aint my idea of a good relationship.

Well sorry to disillusion you but I have been with Hubby for 21 years and far from growing apart, we are closer than ever... And I am not in denial. In fact we got married last year. The sex is as great as ever, and he still rocks my boat in every way. And I still seem to rock his too...

We have plenty of passion and excitement and I can't imagine anyone else I would rather be with.

Sorry your love affair didn't work out but please don't assume everyone is like you. It sounds like you are really quite bitter about a lot of things. Mature relationships do require work but they are worth every effort . Please don't project your issues onto everyone else.

I went through 10 years of Leukaemia with Hubby by my side, about as big a struggle and a hurdle as anyone has to face IMO and we came out of it stronger than ever. He never once made me feel guilty for being less able , less healthy, unable to work, putting weight on ( steroids) etc... and was always there to encourage and make me feel better. If that's not love then I don't know what is. We went through fire together and came out of it even better as a couple.

We love each other and we suit each other perfectly. Because a lot of people's relationships do not work does not mean all relationships are doomed.

There is no secret recipe but there is no reason why you can't keep the flames of passion , desire , love AND lust alive . I still fancy the pants off him and considering he can barely keep his hands off me I assume he feels the same about me too...

I'm generally speaking a pretty cynical pessimist but I also know that plenty of people are lucky to find the "right" one. Not someone who is perfect as nobody is. Arguments, routine, boring chores do enter in ALL relationships. But if you are genuinely matched to each other you will overcome those .

Hubby still wants me to accompany him on every business trip and conference after us being together for over 21 years. He still calls me from work to tell me he loves me. Leaves me romantic little notes all around the house, buys me flowers , takes me unexpected dates and picnics etc... makes me feel special , loved and desired and I feel sexy because of it. There is nothing sexier than a man who loves you and respects you. And I reciprocate in every way I can too.

It's a two way street. And being grown up about the demands of long term relationships and the downsides of it.

As I said there is nothing wrong with being single. But being bitter and cynical about it is hardly ever going to make future relationships positive and successful.

Maybe you were the problem. Maybe it was both of you and maybe it was her. I don't know but please do us a favour and don't put all of us in the same category.

Some of us are extremely happy and fulfilled with their spouses/life partners, happy, sexually active, and looking forward to all that old age brings together. Some of us actually think love is possible. And that it is worth every effort and compromise it costs.

And some of us are even capable of still being sexually attracted to the same person decades after first meeting...

I love him and he loves me. Tell me anything I could have in life which would be better than that ?

And BTW it's probably more like sex once a day ...

Old 07-04-2010, 09:25 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I think the op is right...but not in the way he thinks.

There is no point in having a relationship just to have a relationship. Those relationships are rarely satisfying or successful.

A relationship is not a means to an end. It's what develops when two people feel very strongly about each other and choose to spend time with each other exclusively.

I read a quote once about your spouse being the witness to your life...I like that idea, too.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:46 AM

489 posts, read 1,325,043 times
Quote:
I have been asking myself this question lately and I don't seem to find any strong reasons for wanting to be in relationship. I am 33, single, no children, I have a couple female friends who are, lets say a bit more than just friends and if I ever need a date, I invite one of them, we go out, do everything like couples do and it works out just great. I travel at least once every 2 weeks, and when I want to travel by myself, I can go, have a good time like I did 3 weeks ago, without having to hear any BS or nagging from any woman. What would be the advantages of being in a relationship?
Companionship
Sex- more meaningful, more readily available, if a baby is accidentally created it is at least not with some random person
Love- loving someone else and being loved are both amazing feelings
Less loneliness (not that singles are always lonely, but most will admit to periods of loneliness)
Potential for marriage/children (if those are life goals for you)
Friendship- in a good relationship, your partner will become one of your best friends

I think those are the main benefits, but it is up to each individual to decide if the single benefits or the relationship benefits are more appealing.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:59 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
If you're so happy doing what you do, why do you care about the advantages of a relationship or not? Some people actually want a relationship, some don't. It's not for everyone.

I do find it interesting the ones who ask or b*tch about this type of issue are the ones who secretly wish they were in a relationship.......just sayin'.

Yep. I have come to the conclusion that anyone who gets on here spouting about how they hate men/women, never want to get married, never want a relationship, think dating is a waste of time, rave about how wonderful it is to be single and unencumbered, blah, blah, blah are the people who desperately want a partner.

If someone really doesn't care about such things, they wouldn't even click into a board about relationships in the first place.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:09 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,894,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Yep. I have come to the conclusion that anyone who gets on here spouting about how they hate men/women, never want to get married, never want a relationship, think dating is a waste of time, rave about how wonderful it is to be single and unencumbered, blah, blah, blah are the people who desperately want a partner.

If someone really doesn't care about such things, they wouldn't even click into a board about relationships in the first place.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Thank you.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:11 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Well sorry to disillusion you but I have been with Hubby for 21 years and far from growing apart, we are closer than ever... And I am not in denial. In fact we got married last year. The sex is as great as ever, and he still rocks my boat in every way. And I still seem to rock his too...

We have plenty of passion and excitement and I can't imagine anyone else I would rather be with.

Sorry your love affair didn't work out but please don't assume everyone is like you. It sounds like you are really quite bitter about a lot of things. Mature relationships do require work but they are worth every effort . Please don't project your issues onto everyone else.

I went through 10 years of Leukaemia with Hubby by my side, about as big a struggle and a hurdle as anyone has to face IMO and we came out of it stronger than ever. He never once made me feel guilty for being less able , less healthy, unable to work, putting weight on ( steroids) etc... and was always there to encourage and make me feel better. If that's not love then I don't know what is. We went through fire together and came out of it even better as a couple.

We love each other and we suit each other perfectly. Because a lot of people's relationships do not work does not mean all relationships are doomed.

There is no secret recipe but there is no reason why you can't keep the flames of passion , desire , love AND lust alive . I still fancy the pants off him and considering he can barely keep his hands off me I assume he feels the same about me too...

I'm generally speaking a pretty cynical pessimist but I also know that plenty of people are lucky to find the "right" one. Not someone who is perfect as nobody is. Arguments, routine, boring chores do enter in ALL relationships. But if you are genuinely matched to each other you will overcome those .

Hubby still wants me to accompany him on every business trip and conference after us being together for over 21 years. He still calls me from work to tell me he loves me. Leaves me romantic little notes all around the house, buys me flowers , takes me unexpected dates and picnics etc... makes me feel special , loved and desired and I feel sexy because of it. There is nothing sexier than a man who loves you and respects you. And I reciprocate in every way I can too.

It's a two way street. And being grown up about the demands of long term relationships and the downsides of it.

As I said there is nothing wrong with being single. But being bitter and cynical about it is hardly ever going to make future relationships positive and successful.

Maybe you were the problem. Maybe it was both of you and maybe it was her. I don't know but please do us a favour and don't put all of us in the same category.

Some of us are extremely happy and fulfilled with their spouses/life partners, happy, sexually active, and looking forward to all that old age brings together. Some of us actually think love is possible. And that it is worth every effort and compromise it costs.

And some of us are even capable of still being sexually attracted to the same person decades after first meeting...

I love him and he loves me. Tell me anything I could have in life which would be better than that ?

And BTW it's probably more like sex once a day ...
I always love the way you talk about your relationship. It's obvious to me that you are in a very happy and fulfilling life with your husband. Of course, no life is perfect and you've gone through your share of hardships, but I do believe there are people like you out there who remain thoroughly in love, no matter how many years may pass.

What I've often wondered is whether all of us are actually made for long-lasting relationships. In my case, I've always thought that sexual desire is only temporary and will eventually -sooner rather than later- die out, which isn't something I believe I'm ready or willing to accept. I know relationships are much more than just sexual attraction, but I think that I (unfortunately) need to feel the dizziness and too much comfort and security, well, bores me I wish it wouldn't be the case because I'm in a wonderful relationship which I feel is doomed to perish, but I guess we're not all suited for conjugal bliss. I still think it works for many, many people, though.

Last edited by noela; 07-04-2010 at 11:48 AM..

Old 07-04-2010, 12:29 PM

382 posts, read 758,467 times
You're doing the best Repubocrat

Relationships are pointless since you waste your time and money and what do you get in return? Problems, nagging, tedious day to day life all filled with constant criticism from the woman.

So enjoy your single life without having to do the daily report to a woman. The only woman who asks me those kind of things is my mother but she's my mother so, I have to handle it.

Travel, have fun and sleep late in the weekends. No screaming kids, no in-laws coming for lunch, no spending with stupid gifts. Have fun, because these bitter married couples just wished they had our good life

Old 07-04-2010, 12:34 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
Default Why be in a relationship?

Quote:
Real relationship? Like married, 3 kids, a bitchy wife and a mortgage? How exciting!
You need to speak for yourself. Maybe you deserve what you have had in the past. I'm happily married, and I wouldn't want it any other way. It delights me to do things that makes my wife happy, but I doubt that you would care to make anyone except yourself happy.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:37 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
I do find it interesting the ones who ask or b*tch about this type of issue are the ones who secretly wish they were in a relationship.......just sayin'.
Well put, seeniorita.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships