Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 02:06 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
There's nothing wrong with hitting on someone who's taken.

Nobody "owns" anyone.

The only thing that would be wrong is the person who's taken gives in to the temptation.
As others have pointed, the issue is one of respect, not ownership. If I meet a woman that I know is already with someone, even if I'm attracted to her, I won't hit on her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 08:18 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,524,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I pretty much agree. Most of them won't flirt unless they're getting some kind of response. If someone is "taken" then they are taken and that's that, but if they respond then they're not taken after all.

It's also not the same when it's just a dating relationship versus a marriage. If a dating relationship breaks apart - well that's life, but when a family is broken, that's something else.
The married person is responsible for giving in.

You can't stop outside temptations.

Are sexy ladies on the street or lingerie ads wrong because they might give ideas to a married man?

I am not defensive when someone hits on my gf. It's only flattering she picked me and still does over these men. Let's say she falls for someone who's after her, what can I do about it?

A girl once told me, if you love someone enough, you should be able to let them go when they want to. Makes sense to me.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:07 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,318,424 times
Sadly, there are some women and men who are always looking for a conquest. If they can attract and get someone who is in a relationship or married, then that just makes them feel more powerful. They justify what they are doing by saying no one owns anyone else, and no one can make you cheat. What they say is true, but why would you try to destroy another person's happiness? It is not usually even that they want the person they go after, they just enjoy the challenge.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:11 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
alota women are willing to date married men.
there does not seem to be a moral taboo about it in 2010.
guesses run 50% wana, 25% do
What is the percentage of women attracted to married men | Answerbag
Being attracted to a married man doesn't mean you would date him or sleep with him. There are plenty I find attractive, but I would never get involved with them.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:25 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenaus View Post
my first instinct is that they are selfish and repulsive

but then i think:
1. maybe they feel they arent WORTHY of a real, intimate, public relationship

2. perhaps they fear intimacy and going for an unavailable man is a way of dealing with this

(and of course proof of their desirability if the guy cheats on sig. for them)
I think these are good points, also.

Might add from some observations that some women just don't have any other opportunities. "There is someone for everyone" is simply not true. Women may get to a point where they realize there is no one for them, so they settle for someone who wants them part-time rather than accept the fact that they will likely always be alone. Then maybe they keep up that fantasy that "someday" he will be all theirs, and we know that very rarely happens.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:30 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think these are good points, also.

Might add from some observations that some women just don't have any other opportunities. "There is someone for everyone" is simply not true. Women may get to a point where they realize there is no one for them, so they settle for someone who wants them part-time rather than accept the fact that they will likely always be alone. Then maybe they keep up that fantasy that "someday" he will be all theirs, and we know that very rarely happens.
I never thought about it before, but I could totally see this happening. Being along year after year can be really tough.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:50 PM

489 posts, read 1,324,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
Sadly, there are some women and men who are always looking for a conquest. If they can attract and get someone who is in a relationship or married, then that just makes them feel more powerful. They justify what they are doing by saying no one owns anyone else, and no one can make you cheat. What they say is true, but why would you try to destroy another person's happiness? It is not usually even that they want the person they go after, they just enjoy the challenge.
Exactly. People who do this deserve to be alone forever. I'm certainly not going to feel sorry for them when they realize that no one gives a f*ck about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships