Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 01:53 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,392,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
I do not think it is healthy to expect your spouse to be your only source for high quality conversation. Sure the men can talk about baseball or work out at the gym together but typical men talk is boring. Us women have it easier, we can have our husband as our best friend but have close women friends we can share intimate conversation. Men are not getting much good conversation from their buddies (other men). So this puts incredible pressure on their spouse to be their only real friend. I think it is to much to expect from one person.
That's not true. We are all not just a bunch of dumb meat heads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 01:55 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,215,832 times
Men talk about other more sensitive stuff with men too. I don't know who brainwashed you into thinking its all about boobs, sports and burping. Whats between your legs should not mean you can't have a good conversation but it sure can lead to compatibility. I sorta think its funny that plumbing parts are called female and male based on structure...and I think about it with this situation...Its eventually all going to come together as that is what its built for.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:55 PM

379 posts, read 511,136 times
Men have conversational needs? JK :-)

Old 07-08-2010, 02:05 PM

489 posts, read 1,322,436 times
I think you're assuming that all men are not having their emotional needs met. Maybe the reason men don't tend to have these deep meaningful conversations with each other is because they don't feel the need for that. I've never met a man who seems to have the same need for intimate conversation as a woman. For the instance when they do have this need,that's what their wife/mother/sister/etc. are for. Not to say that men shouldn't have close female friends, but just that I don't see it as an absolute necessity to their happiness.

My hubby and I have a good relationship and can talk about lots of things, but the kinds of things we don't talk about are things that I talk about with other women (such as shopping, TV shows, skincare, etc.) and he talks about with other men (UFC fights, weight lifting, heavy metal bands, etc.). I'm not really sure that having close friends of the opposite sex would be helpful for those conversations. For us, we both have friends of opposite sex, but not "close" friends, except that one of my best friends is a gay male.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:10 PM

154 posts, read 525,796 times
That is the problem, men are socialized to think they have to act all tough and macho and spend all their time talking about boxing, football and weight lifting. While those topics maybe interesting to some men lots of guys are sensitive and like to talk about more intimate emotional subjects and want a different perspective than their wives.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:11 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,245,698 times
Still trying to rationalize writing 12 times a day to the married guy who isn't your husband, eh?

His wife can't meet all of his conversational needs, so there you are, ready to step in and meet them, yourself. How magnanimous of you!

And surely, you're okay with your husband going to another woman for his conversational needs. In fact, you should invite him to C-D so that some of the ladies here can take care of his conversational needs.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:12 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,918,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Still trying to rationalize writing 12 times a day to the married guy who isn't your husband, eh?

His wife can't meet all of his conversational needs, so there you are, ready to step in and meet them, yourself. How magnanimous of you!
Get outta my head!

Old 07-08-2010, 02:12 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,495,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avienne View Post
still trying to rationalize writing 12 times a day to the married guy who isn't your husband, eh?

And surely, you're okay with your husband going to another woman for his conversational needs. In fact, you should invite him to c-d so that some of the ladies here can take care of his conversational needs.

THIS

The lengths some people will go to to justify their bad behavior!

Old 07-08-2010, 02:15 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,215,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
That is the problem, men are socialized to think they have to act all tough and macho and spend all their time talking about boxing, football and weight lifting. While those topics maybe interesting to some men lots of guys are sensitive and like to talk about more intimate emotional subjects and want a different perspective than their wives.
Thats just a certain type of guy. Or a line a guy gives someone to woo them.

"Oh you are so interesting...We really identify and care about the same things. I am so glad we can talk like this. "

It just always makes me think of the rollins video "liar"

Old 07-08-2010, 02:33 PM

36,226 posts, read 30,671,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Federal View Post
Men have conversational needs? JK :-)
yes. Hey baby, bring me a beer! Hey baby, whats for super? Hey baby, wheres the plunger? JK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships