Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 06:52 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,318,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
Our society puts to much pressure on married couples. They expect that the spouse to provide most social, intellectual and intimate conversational needs to their partner.

This expectation is really hard on the men. Because men's friendships in general are not as close as a woman, many men are lonely. Men's friendships are best described as buddies, activity partners, and sports participants. They are not likely to provide the deep friendship that most women have with their close girl friends.

Many men tell me that while they love their wife and enjoy the the time they spend with each other, they would like to communicate in a personal and close way to other human beings. But again, the type of relationships men have with each other do not allow the type of closeness they need. There are things that the men would like to talk about that their male buddies will not discuss and their spouse just have no interest in.

What is a man to do? His social and conversational needs can not be met by just one woman. He loves his wife but feels unfulfilled. Married Men need close women friends! Don't you agree?

I don't have a problem with a SO having close female friends, as long as I can have close guy friends. However, the friendship would be open and include my SO, and I would expect the same from him. That means that he would not keep secrets from me, nor would he discuss private things that are between us with his female friends. I would not like it if my SO had an internet friend that he was flirting with or constantly talking to, but a friend that we socialized with and that he kept in contact with would be fine. I would never tell a SO who he could be friends with, but I wouldn't marry someone I couldn't trust either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 09:39 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,292,859 times
Quote:
Our society puts to much pressure on married couples. They expect that the spouse to provide most social, intellectual and intimate conversational needs to their partner.

This expectation is really hard on the men. Because men's friendships in general are not as close as a woman, many men are lonely. Men's friendships are best described as buddies, activity partners, and sports participants. They are not likely to provide the deep friendship that most women have with their close girl friends.

Many men tell me that while they love their wife and enjoy the the time they spend with each other, they would like to communicate in a personal and close way to other human beings. But again, the type of relationships men have with each other do not allow the type of closeness they need. There are things that the men would like to talk about that their male buddies will not discuss and their spouse just have no interest in.

What is a man to do? His social and conversational needs can not be met by just one woman. He loves his wife but feels unfulfilled. Married Men need close women friends! Don't you agree?

I know a guy who has such a great wife that he said that he never needs anything or anyone else.

The wife, however, stays very lonely because the husband is attached at the hip and has no life outside of the marriage.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:12 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,673,439 times
My husband and I are best friends. There is nothing I would tell someone else but not him.

"My spouse could never understand me like youuuuuu can" is a line used by cheating sleazebuckets. I hope you have not fallen for it.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:40 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,889,438 times
Quote:
I never said that men could not have the pleasant deep conversations they were having with their male friends with their wife. What I am saying is the men may wish to get another woman's perspective on the topics being discussed at home.

You people must be really boring expecting only your spouse to have interesting conversation!
I get the feeling you're pretty young, or you got married to perhaps the wrong person, or you're seeking vindication from readers here.

If your marriage is making you feel too much pressure to conform or that you're missing out on companionship with other men, then get out of the marriage and start living the life you want and need.

If I want another woman's perspective on any topics discussed in this house, I'll ask a close girlfriend. I'm not willing to hear it from some woman my SO works with - I don't know her and I don't necessarily value her opinion. That's kind of egotistical, don't you think?

You might want to keep your side of the street clean before you start cleaning up everyone else's stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships