Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 06:32 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Good point about her losing her handcuffs. What's going to happen when she actually carries a gun?

It's a cop's responsibility to make sure a gun is secure. A responsible cop would not rely on family members to not touch the gun.
And when I carry a gun it'll be kept in a safe.
I have a section in the right side of my closet where I hang my BDU's, my uniform shirts, my police coat and my bullet proof vest. Underneath that is one of those small 3 shelf tv stands where I lay my belts, flashlight, keepers, 2nd shelf down are my gloves, tie, winter police hats and on the bottom shelf are my boots.

My brother doesn't have enough respect for me or my things to not just come into my room and take my things.
I can lock my door and my lock is popped.
Its a rental, I can't go adding dead bolts and padlocks or else I would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 06:39 PM

You guys can say all you want about my maturity, the fact that I need to move out and you can say all you want about how you think I shouldn't be a cop.

But the fact is,
I am 20 years old, I live at home because of some complications in high school from credits not transferring and getting mono. I graduated 4 months before my 19th birthday.
I live with an overbearing and over controlling mom who doesn't accept me or like me because I am not exactly how she thinks I should be. She tries to control me and make me feel inept everyday of my life.
I have a 16 year old brother who grew up for 8 years watching HIS father scream, yell, hit, abuse my mom and I and try to control my mom and I. Who treated us as "stupid women" and had that "man" complex. My brother is now a spitting image of his dad.

So go on keep telling yourself that I am the horrible person and should respect the people I live with.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:47 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
My handcuffs were taken out of my room by my 16 year old brother. Who feels like he is entitled to take of my gear that he feels like using at the time, I did not lose them. He had no respect for me or my stuff.
Now, replace handcuffs with 'gun' or 'drugs' and see if you can still defend the statement.

I'm sorry for how you are treated at home but that is not an excuse...you are a grown up woman and you have to stop blaming your circumstances, especially when you are unable/unwilling to change them. A lot of us grew up in tough households...you have to overcome it or it will overcome you. Your posts don't indicate that you are overcoming at this time.

Your success, happiness and contentment in life is related more to your character and personality than to your circumstances.

Last edited by NCyank; 07-11-2010 at 06:57 PM..

Old 07-11-2010, 06:53 PM

106 posts, read 382,003 times
Maybe you should see a counselor? You seem like you have a lot of crap to put up with. You say that you want to be In law enforcement...have you ever thought of joining the Army and being an MP? That would get you away from your mom if things are that bad and it would also give you tons of financial freedom. Best of luck.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:44 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,246 times
We live in a rental... and YES, you CAN install a lock on your door. Go to the hardware store and get a replacement doorknob that has a keyed lock. All you have to do then is remove your knob and install the new one. Presto! No damage to your door and you now have a lock that can only be opened with the keys YOU have. If your brother gets through that, then he will have caused severe damage to the door, casing, jamb, etc... This will solve all the issues with others touching your stuff. Simply keep everything you own behind your locked door. As soon as you remove your shoes - carry them to your room. Your mother can't complain that you aren't leaving them in the designated spot if they aren't laying around anywhere for her to see. Same with the sheets - out of sight (in your locked room), out of mind. As for the bike, there are numerous cables and chains you can buy with locks that will prevent him from being able to ride your bike. You don't even have to chain it TO anything - just run the cable through the front tire and through the frame. Both of these locking solutions are super cheap and will solve the latest problem for you.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
So go on keep telling yourself that I am the horrible person and should respect the people I live with.
NEWS FLASH: We're saying to MOVE OUT!

Old 07-11-2010, 10:45 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
sounds like it's time to move out.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
We live in a rental... and YES, you CAN install a lock on your door. Go to the hardware store and get a replacement doorknob that has a keyed lock. All you have to do then is remove your knob and install the new one. Presto! No damage to your door and you now have a lock that can only be opened with the keys YOU have. If your brother gets through that, then he will have caused severe damage to the door, casing, jamb, etc... This will solve all the issues with others touching your stuff. Simply keep everything you own behind your locked door. As soon as you remove your shoes - carry them to your room. Your mother can't complain that you aren't leaving them in the designated spot if they aren't laying around anywhere for her to see. Same with the sheets - out of sight (in your locked room), out of mind. As for the bike, there are numerous cables and chains you can buy with locks that will prevent him from being able to ride your bike. You don't even have to chain it TO anything - just run the cable through the front tire and through the frame. Both of these locking solutions are super cheap and will solve the latest problem for you.

I have a lock. Its not a key lock but all the locks in the house can be popped open with a credit card etc.
I think I will look into that though and change the door knobs out etc.
See if that works.
Those are all great ideas.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
NEWS FLASH: We're saying to MOVE OUT!
I CAN'T RIGHT NOW.
I work 12 hours a week, making $8/hr. I would be making a huge mistake doing so. I wouldn't be able to pay my rent or my bills. My stuff would get shut off and I would be evicted.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:31 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I CAN'T RIGHT NOW.
I work 12 hours a week, making $8/hr. I would be making a huge mistake doing so. I wouldn't be able to pay my rent or my bills. My stuff would get shut off and I would be evicted.
Thats an Excuse , alot ppl i know are out of the house and live a decent life working 12 hrs a week and for 8-10hr. You need to make some sacrifices , like giving up your Car. You don't cable , the Internet is good enough. Use ur utilities more wising , don't take 40 min showers , 10-15 mins is decent enough. Do those and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships