Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 11:06 PM

117 posts, read 266,760 times

Advertisements

I've recently began attending a new church. Over the past few months a gentleman has shone me interest, but no date or encounters have occured outside of church....yet!

He made the first approach by introducing himself and welcoming me, after observing my attendance for a few weeks.

He is always very kind, and makes a point of speaking to me. We've had the occasional handshake and greeting in passing and he even has gotten my attention from clear across the congregation by waving, to which I smile and waved back.

He always gives a nice compliment and a smile.

I find him handsome, and am starting to like him too.

After weekly bible study on this coming Wednesday....I will not be in attendance at church for the next six weeks, as I have a health issue that has to be addressed surgically.

In my absence, I guess I don't want his "attentions" to stray.

I feel the need to let him know I won't be in attendance for six weeks, but I really don't want to tell him of my health issue. It is one that will be repaired and I will be "good as new" upon completion of the surgery.

I'm wondering if this would be appropriate? What do you think of my advising him that I'll miss seeing him for a few weeks, as I have a "family emergency" that requires my absence away from church that his prayers would be appreciated?

I hope this isn't too corny. I've been out of the dating scene for years, and I just feel compelled to say something to this man before my departure. I know I'll be gone, but don't want to be "forgotten", or be seen as "flaky" for having been absent from service.

Last edited by Atlanta Georgia Peach; 07-11-2010 at 11:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 11:12 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,984,935 times
I wonder what your church would think of a lie? Hum. (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)
I think the best thing to do is to say you are having minor surgery (assure him it's nothing serious) and will be out of circulation for 6 weeks. I think you will find that people are respectful and phrased this way, tend to understand you don't want to talk about it. If he asks questions, simply repeat that it's minor, nothing to worry about but you will miss seeing him at church.
If you will be in a position to take phone calls or emails - give him your contact info.
Best wishes, my friend.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMichelle View Post
I wonder what your church would think of a lie? Hum. (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)
I think the best thing to do is to say you are having minor surgery (assure him it's nothing serious) and will be out of circulation for 6 weeks. I think you will find that people are respectful and phrased this way, tend to understand you don't want to talk about it. If he asks questions, simply repeat that it's minor, nothing to worry about but you will miss seeing him at church.
If you will be in a position to take phone calls or emails - give him your contact info.
Best wishes, my friend.
Wow...

What "lie"? Never did I state it was "minor" surgery. My "vascular surgeon" and "family members" who are flying in from all over the States, certainly feel my health concern is a "family emergency".

Thanks for the suggestion.....

Bumping for more.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:29 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Georgia Peach View Post
In my absence, I guess I don't want his "attentions" to stray.

I feel the need to let him know I won't be in attendance for a few weeks, but I really don't want to tell him of my health issue. It is one that will be repaired and I will be "good as new" upon completion of the surgery.

I'm wondering if this would be appropriate? What do you think of my advising him that I'll miss seeing him for a few weeks, as I have a "family emergency" that requires my absence away from church that his prayers would be appreciated?

I think this is nice, and perfectly acceptable. A very classy way to give just enough explanation.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think this is nice, and perfectly acceptable. A very classy way to give just enough explanation.
Thanks Mikala43!

Old 07-12-2010, 12:28 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,230,769 times
I'm not sure I'd say anything. 6 weeks isn't that long and I think the mystery of your absence might pique his interest. Make sure to leave your contact info with a church friend, so if he asks about you, they can suggest he drop a card or flowers. But TMI is a real killer!

Old 07-12-2010, 12:46 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,805,242 times
Tell him you'll be on "vacation", but looking forward to seeing him again when you get back.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
I'm not sure I'd say anything. 6 weeks isn't that long and I think the mystery of your absence might pique his interest. Make sure to leave your contact info with a church friend, so if he asks about you, they can suggest he drop a card or flowers. But TMI is a real killer!
That's a good point!

Thanks Joliefille

Old 07-12-2010, 12:54 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,262,835 times
It has been a few months and he hasn't made any move to get to know you outside of church?

I wouldn't bother. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but if he was interested in you, he would have asked for your phone number by now.

On the plus side, if by some chance he is interested in you, maybe your absence will shake him out of his complacency and he'll do something about his interest when you get back.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:12 AM

557 posts, read 1,352,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
It has been a few months and he hasn't made any move to get to know you outside of church?

I wouldn't bother. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but if he was interested in you, he would have asked for your phone number by now.

On the plus side, if by some chance he is interested in you, maybe your absence will shake him out of his complacency and he'll do something about his interest when you get back.
Wow, could you possibly deliver any more good news for the OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships