Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 05:46 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,780 times

Advertisements

He lives upstairs from me. Well, not him exactly, but someone who sounds a lot like him. He's never in the media, even though verbally, the similarity really is striking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 05:53 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Okay. Here's the secret to a happy, serene life:

Never, under any circumstances, take any celebrity seriously. When you see them interviewed about politics, life, marriage, relationships, or anything else besides whatever movie they're doing at the moment, change the channel. Don't pick up People Magazine or any of those other puff pieces, either. Because the folks they feature are typically self-absorbed nitwits whose strange worldview has been reinforced by armies of enablers in the form of publicists, agents, fans, and other assorted hangers-on. And people who hang on their every pronouncement are doing the world a huge disfavor.

You know who I find to find much more interesting and substantive than movie stars? Just about everybody else on the planet. The cashier at the grocery store. My electrician. The guy who cuts my grass. People I work with. Because they all have real lives and opinions that are based on the real world--not the Alice-In-Wonderland perspective of Hollywood.
This.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:59 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Default I didn't do it. You didn't see me. You can't prove anything.

/me was tempted to post a link to the verbal assault in the Relationships sub-forum and title it, "When Western men get mail-order brides."

Old 07-12-2010, 08:30 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Its one of the few things I wouldn't do with a Russian woman.
Ha-ha, sounds like you learned ONE lesson!

Old 07-12-2010, 08:39 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,251,461 times
This is still hard for me to swallow. He has always been one of my favorites because of his characters and relating to them with myself. Well, I guess I'm not like him at all in real life. I like the characters better as they are similar to me.

YouTube - Lethal Weapon 1 - Riggs have a nice day.

Last edited by 2RUGGED4YOU; 07-12-2010 at 08:53 PM..

Old 07-12-2010, 08:55 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,162,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
By now you probably heard about (or heard) the Mel Gibson tape where he was in a violent rage yelling at his girlfriend about the "provocative" clothes she was wearing. He basically said she deserves to be raped. While his very offensive racial remark got most of the attention, I found his attitude about women to be equally as bad.

I HATE controlling men like Mel Gibson (and he's just one of millions) who tell women not to dress sexy, who call women names who don't dress modest, and believe this type of dress is justification for rape. If I could find a stronger word than hate I would use it.

Here is my question about this. Why do women who dress sexy get involved with males who have this mindset? I realize Mel Gibson is famous and a wide range of women would want to date him.
But in the everyday non-celebrity world there are many women who dress sexy who enter relationships with men who have the same exact mindset as Gibson.

Here is my theory. Women like dominant men. Sexy attractive women can obtain dominant men and many won't settle for less. Domineering men by nature are controlling over women and have very traditional attitudes towards gender roles..including female dress. If we lived in an alternate universe where where women were attracted to more submissive type men I believe the type of female fashion that Mel Gibson finds so offensive would be extremely common and no one would think twice about it except for the fact that it looks good.
I don't think it's true hate, as in he wants her to get raped. It's just old school shaming and calling her out for what he deemed to be inappropriate dress. Did he go overboard? By today's standards, yes. 40-50 years ago probably not. He is pretty old after all.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:10 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
I don't think it's true hate, as in he wants her to get raped. It's just old school shaming and calling her out for what he deemed to be inappropriate dress. Did he go overboard? By today's standards, yes. 40-50 years ago probably not. He is pretty old after all.
I think that's the same with my bf. He is 45. I could never imagine a 25 year old saying something like that.

I also agree he doesn't want her to get raped, he's just manipulating her into feeling ashamed.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:12 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Mel is a scumbag.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:26 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,779 times
What I have never gotten (and HATE) is the whole "every other girl can dress as scantily clad as she wants, and I am going to check her out until my eyes pop out of my head, but NOT YOU, you're mine" type attitude that Mel and SO many other men seem to have.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:45 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,416 times
Yes, they are attracted to us because we look sexy, but then when we are their g/f they object to the same type of clothing that attracted them in the first place. What is that about? Also, I dress the way I want to, and no one is going to tell me what to wear. I live on the beach, so it is common for women to wear less clothes than in the city. Mel is just venting, and he had a melt down, something he is known for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships