Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:18 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Are you sure that you're going to be happy with a guy who has no ambition? While you're making progress in life, professionally, personally, emotionally, and meeting new, interesting educated, attractive, great people are you seriously going to be happy when he comes home from a job bagging groceries or flipping burgers or pouring cement and wants to watch NASCAR or sip on a beer? Just me but I would never recommend anybody get married in their early 20's.
How did you get from "he has less education than I do" to "a guy who has no ambition"? You paint the guy to be some kind of drunken dropout slob, when all I can see is that he probably doesn't have a college degree.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:58 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,680,469 times
Lightbulb Okay...Time For Yet Another Reality Check

Quote:
Real man? There are finer examples of men than those who lay bricks, drink beer, and have no ambition. How is that going to work when you're all grown up and a real LADY asks, "so what do you do for a living?"

Cement worker: "I'm a c'ment pourer and went up to 12th grade!"

Real Lady: "You know I just realized, I have to be somewhere tomorrow morning." The end.

Let's be honest. Most women want rich athletes, doctors, lawyers, businessmen, and other professionals. We could put a poll up and I bet I'd be right.
First of all, O clairvoyant one, who imparted the bullcrap knowledge unto you that states 'real men don't drink beer, lay bricks, or pour cement?'

You probably just indirectly insulted a LOT of guys here on City Data...and what is this stuff about 'REAL LADIES'? There's another stereotype, laying in the weeds...and you could, indeed, put up a poll, and you'd probably be 'deceased incorrect' AKA dead wrong...

And also, for sake of argument, I work for a printing ink company...my dad was a WW2 pilot, bus driver, and firefighter...his dad, and my Mom's dad, both busted their a**es for many years working in foundries and factories...my youngest brother is a firefighter, and my 2 older brothers are retired cops...the thread running through all that is, myself included, NONE of those guys were 'doctors, lawyers, rich athletes, businessmen, or other professionals'---they/we all met and married wonderful women who could give a pint of baboon sweat what they did/do for a living...current generation STILL married to said women...

So, as Tommy Lee Jones said to the obviously misinformed cop in 'The Fugitive'---wanna change your bulls**t story (theory) now?...just beacuse a guy isn't one of the 'chosen' or 'the landed gentry', and maybe hoists a brewski or two, or loves to watch Dale Jr or Kyle or Jimmie do the NASCAR do, doesn't make him ANY LESS of a man, polls and stereotypes be damned

Old 07-15-2010, 09:04 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Real man? There are finer examples of men than those who lay bricks, drink beer, and have no ambition. How is that going to work when you're all grown up and a real LADY asks, "so what do you do for a living?"

Cement worker: "I'm a c'ment pourer and went up to 12th grade!"

Real Lady: "You know I just realized, I have to be somewhere tomorrow morning." The end.

Let's be honest. Most women want rich athletes, doctors, lawyers, businessmen, and other professionals. We could put a poll up and I bet I'd be right.
Well, I don't know about your area but here mason's make bucks, and if there on Federal jobs they make BIG bucks.

Heck I've known refuse drivers who clear 100K. I don't see how you can equate a skilled trade with no ambition.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:54 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Reality check....thank goodness there are men willing to get there hands dirty and do the grunt work while you sit back on your throne.
Guys who work with their hands are hot

Old 07-15-2010, 05:01 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,247,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Guys who work with their hands are hot
Guys who work with their hands didn't mean to start a s*** storm!LMAO....... I just found his arrogant post offensive and posted a counter opinion on the subject. LOL..... We are worthless idiots? They don't say that when their stuff breaks or they need help!LOL.......

Old 07-15-2010, 05:07 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,296,843 times
Skilled workers are worth their weight in gold.There are men out there who prefer to do such work and it is not because they are uneducated or lack wisdom.My brother is that kind of man.He likes the heavy lifting type jobs but had to give it up do to a medical issue.Just because you don't have a desk job does not make you any less of a man.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:10 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
The sad thing is there are a number of people that really think the way he does. They go to college either right out of high school or in their early twenties...they think they know everything and are better than people that didn't go to college. He doesn't even know anything about women, poor guy. I see women all the time that like the more rugged guys with blue collar jobs.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:14 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Sounds to me like you've outgrown this friend of yours OP. She sounds like the type of person who either isn't aware of or doesn't care about boundaries. Enjoy your new relationship with this guy, and spend less time with this friend of yours. She sounds like the type who enjoys sabotaging relationships. Bitter because she can't find a man of her own.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:16 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,247,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
The sad thing is there are a number of people that really think the way he does. They go to college either right out of high school or in their early twenties...they think they know everything and are better than people that didn't go to college.
Meh, we know that is not so! Who calms their wives down and makes them happy while they scratch their fuzzy little heads? Easy killer, don't have a melt down! LOL........

Old 07-15-2010, 05:32 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaKintobor View Post
Skilled workers are worth their weight in gold.There are men out there who prefer to do such work and it is not because they are uneducated or lack wisdom.My brother is that kind of man.He likes the heavy lifting type jobs but had to give it up do to a medical issue.Just because you don't have a desk job does not make you any less of a man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
The sad thing is there are a number of people that really think the way he does. They go to college either right out of high school or in their early twenties...they think they know everything and are better than people that didn't go to college. He doesn't even know anything about women, poor guy. I see women all the time that like the more rugged guys with blue collar jobs.
I've resisted posting on this thread just because of the ignorance of the OP's friend. I've seen many blue collar type of jobs make a ****load more money than other white collar "'professional" jobs. Its also true the other way around as well.

The bottom line is this. Not everyone is cutout or wants to be in a desk job type of job. Many smart and talented people are into the "doingness" of many blue collar jobs. Many other people are less handy and therefore a white collar desk job is more appropriate.

A perfect example is this. You have your type of people who desire to scale a mountain, others want to plan and or oversee the scaling of the mountain, some like to design and figure out how to solve problems in said mountain scaling, and those who like to makes sure all is well with the individuals who do the scaling.

Get it??

Its a synergy, no individual piece is better then the whole.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships