Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 12:19 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,400 times

Advertisements

I'm going through a period in my life where I have no interest in dating. There are a lot of personal reasons, and I've been working for several months on fixing/changing certain things so that I can come to the point where I'd feel comfortable dating again.

Just when I thought things were looking up, I hit an emotional brick wall--my mother passed away unexpectedly 2 weeks ago.

Losing both my mother and father in just 4 years has really taken its toll on me emotionally. Because of that, I find myself needing and wanting that same love and emotional attachment I had with them.

Right now, if I were to go out and seek a companion, I'd become instantly attached and I can see myself turning into one of those clingy freaks who becomes a basketcase when my boyfriend doesn't text back within 10 seconds or doesn't call when he said he would.

I'm not like that at all. I see myself being like that, though.

How do I "fix" this need for being emotionally attached to someone else? Everyone needs to be needed and loved. This blog does a good job of explaining what I'm talking about: Human Nature Nuggets: The Need to Feel Needed

One final note: I'm not looking to get back in to dating for a while, again. Just thought I'd make that clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 12:33 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,325,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I'm going through a period in my life where I have no interest in dating. There are a lot of personal reasons, and I've been working for several months on fixing/changing certain things so that I can come to the point where I'd feel comfortable dating again.

Just when I thought things were looking up, I hit an emotional brick wall--my mother passed away unexpectedly 2 weeks ago.

Losing both my mother and father in just 4 years has really taken its toll on me emotionally. Because of that, I find myself needing and wanting that same love and emotional attachment I had with them.

Right now, if I were to go out and seek a companion, I'd become instantly attached and I can see myself turning into one of those clingy freaks who becomes a basketcase when my boyfriend doesn't text back within 10 seconds or doesn't call when he said he would.

How do I "fix" this need for being emotionally attached to someone else? Everyone needs to be needed and loved. This blog does a good job of explaining what I'm talking about: Human Nature Nuggets: The Need to Feel Needed

One final note: I'm not looking to get back in to dating for a while, again. Just thought I'd make that clear.
MBkr,

I'm sorry to hear about your mother passing. I do think we all have a basic desire as humans for love and affection from others. Since you are not ready for dating just yet, do you have really good friends you can surround yourself with? It will help to talk about your feelings and I hope you have an outlet of friends or family to be able to do so. I don't subscribe to counselors or therapists for everything because they are full of people who just want to throw some anti-depressant drug at you. However, if you feel the need to do so, then please find someone to talk with.

There isn't anything to "fix" because it's an emotion and it's a part of us all. Give yourself time to heal and prepare your mind and heart for love again. Don't rush into it. Take your time. (((hugs)))

Old 07-12-2010, 12:34 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
I'm so sorry for your loss, MA.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:37 PM

157 posts, read 440,390 times
Sorry about your mom.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:50 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,839 times
Oh Ma.. first a virtual hug and a honest I am sorry for your loss's .. thats hard .. I know you have a dog .. love on it and work at doing stuff that keeps you distraced untill the hurt subsides a bit more ..
and know you have friends on the boards that will listen anytime ..
/|\
Faw

Old 07-12-2010, 01:00 PM

20,716 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:

Hi MAtheBanker,

I know what you mean. I am sorry for your loss. The same thing happened to me when my father died. It does make you think. I decided to buy a 9 millimeter and go to a 25 yard range. That is probably not your thing. Do or get something new, but rely on old friends. You really don't need untrusted relationships for this one.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:02 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
MBkr,

I'm sorry to hear about your mother passing. I do think we all have a basic desire as humans for love and affection from others. Since you are not ready for dating just yet, do you have really good friends you can surround yourself with? It will help to talk about your feelings and I hope you have an outlet of friends or family to be able to do so. I don't subscribe to counselors or therapists for everything because they are full of people who just want to throw some anti-depressant drug at you. However, if you feel the need to do so, then please find someone to talk with.

There isn't anything to "fix" because it's an emotion and it's a part of us all. Give yourself time to heal and prepare your mind and heart for love again. Don't rush into it. Take your time. (((hugs)))
I agree! I`m sorry about your loss..this is a tough one.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:10 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
my mother passed away unexpectedly 2 weeks ago.
I'm so sorry, MAtheBanker...

Quote:
I know you do. I was in your shoes a few years ago; however, I made a mistake and actively pursued it... Good for you that you have the insight to realize that's likely to be a mistake, even though you're so young. I didn't... Please don't make any major decisions for at least a year.

My heart goes out to you.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:02 PM

11,865 posts, read 17,000,344 times
I think the best thing to do is just to let yourself feel it. Trying to "fix" it won't get you anything but trouble - it would only be a patch. Feel it, experience it, don't deny it...it will work itself out.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:04 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,555,667 times
I'm very sorry for your loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships