Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 01:56 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,896 times

Advertisements

Like the song says , 'Don't cry , dry your eye!'
Try to remember that period in your life when you were happiest. Then , attempt to recreate those things (doable) that resulted in your happiness. Hopefully , this will help. If not , whatever you do , refrain from taking any form of medication. Those 'pills' , IMO , are nothing but a moneymaking scheme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 03:07 PM

86 posts, read 96,452 times
First I want to tell you that these forums help! If not for the advice and support I got from this forum I don't believe that i would have made it through my seperation, but through my willingness to change my way of thinking, I took alot of advice from this forum and applied it to my life to start a personal transformation and it is possible. There will be set backs but if the want is there you will succeed. With that being said I want you to know how sad it is to read your post, how can you be tired of life? Okay maybe tired of your current situation but life? I don't know how old you are but your never to old to start again, start over. I mean really... think about it you said so yourself that your short tempered and screaming and everything bothers you, well if your going to make everbody's life miserable then maybe you need to make a decision to pull out......or is it that you really want to make your life worse.
Well then look at this scenario, you come home one day and you find the house very quiet and still, on the counter you find a letter with your name on it, you open it and you find that it is a letter from you husband saying that he and the children had a family meeting and after the meeting he felt that it was in the best interest of the children that they left.
Is this what you are looking for, is that what you want? Look, so your tired of life....I bet that your sister would love to have a chance at life, or that your mother would love to be your age again...Get over it really! You have to tell yourself THIS IS GOING TO STOP.. I am not going to continue to feel this way! Love yourself enough to say ENOUGH. I almost lost my family because of my jealousy, read my post and you can see that I was in a real dark and low place in my life and one day I stopped myself and said "this is going to stop and I am not going to continue this. Life is to short as it is just ask your sister and your mother who would do anything to be in your shoes. I'm sorry that I sound a bit cruel but it's true. Get over it enjoy life there's a whole world out there waiting for you Life is a playground enjoy it.........tired of life, have your pity party everyone is entitled to one once in a while but get up open your eyes and love life..... how can you be tired of something if you haven't even given a chance? LIFE IS SHORT SWEETIE....

Old 07-15-2010, 03:19 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,297,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I know I suffer from depression, the combined meds that I have been trying for years just don't work. My best friend passed away a few years ago and I haven not been able to recover.

I have a wonderful husband and children, but no true friends, not sure if that has something to do with it. My career has stalled, my life has stalled.

I have tried new things, new organizations, going in different directions and am failing at everything. How in the hell do you get out of a slump like this....therapy is not working. I have tried MANY

Your post reflects your depression.However I have no knowledge of this area so I am afraid I have no advice to offer but I do wish you the best and I hope that you will discover that it is YOU who is responsible for your happiness.No one and nothing can make you happy.You have to do that for yourself and it sounds as if you may be looking for a shot in the arm of some kind that just doesn't exist.Things will get better though so chin up!It can't rain all the time!

Old 07-15-2010, 04:01 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,406,461 times
Quote:
I know I suffer from depression, the combined meds that I have been trying for years just don't work. My best friend passed away a few years ago and I haven not been able to recover.

I have a wonderful husband and children, but no true friends, not sure if that has something to do with it. My career has stalled, my life has stalled.

I have tried new things, new organizations, going in different directions and am failing at everything. How in the hell do you get out of a slump like this....therapy is not working. I have tried MANY

I'm sorry you are going through this.

What about not taking the meds anymore. I take a med for migraines...it is called Citalopram. I couldn't get it filled over the 4th, and I was straight evil. Man I just felt like a junkie or something.

I'm going to slowly just wean off this.

Maybe don't take the meds. What about St. John's Wort? Have you heard of that? What about exercise and diet?

Old 07-15-2010, 04:29 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:

Look,

I don't know your exact situation, and I can't say for sure whats going on with you. However, the feelings that you're writing here, everyone goes through. "Am I making the right decisions?" "I just don't feel happy", "How did I end up in this life".

All of these are normal for people to experience. I lost a good friend years ago, and I could either shrivel up and die, or live my life big enough for the both of us. Looking back is always easy, and we do it way to much.

My advice, take a week long vacation, with yourself. No one else, just you. Take stock of your life, think about what makes you happy, and what doesn't.

I find that most people, when taking stock of what they have, realize they have much more than what they thought. People tend to focus on the negative, when your day is largely made of up positive small things. Remember that your children are there, my son is my escape from the world. He is happy to do whatever I'd like, but I want to spend time with him outside, just to make him happy. His smile is all I need.

In short, work sucks, bills suck, responsibility sucks. Thats life though, and yes, even life sucks. The trick is, to blow off the crap that you can't change, like working, paying bills, having no life outside of your family, and to focus on the things that are within your world that you do enjoy.

I say a little prayer every morning (which is weird, because I don't believe that God cares).

"God, grant me the knowledge to change the things that I can, and grant me the strength to deal with the things I can't".

Hope you turn it around, I'm sure if you try you will.

Oh, and if your meds don't seem to work for you, stop taking them. Clinical depression is one thing, life depression is another. I think people are being over diagnosed today.

Now, go bungee jumping, or sky diving, or something. Anything to scare the bejezus out of you. Nothing puts life in perspective, like a near death experience.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:37 PM

367 posts, read 415,299 times
(Sorry, my formatting is going crazy!!!!) I don't know you or your story well enough to be able to tell you what to do, but the things that I do to keep depression at bay are:1. Pray - I am not overly religious, but I am highly spiritual. I believe in God, I believe in Jesus, and I believe in prayer. I have seen God work and move in my life, and it is a beautiful thing. 2. Exercise - Nothing will make you feel more alive than getting out there and getting your heart rate up. Do you know what a blessing it is to be able to do that? So many people would love to be able to exercise, but because of health reasons, extreme poverty, etc., they cannot. Personally, I'm a runner - it keeps me sane!3. Spend time with my kids - Again, I feel so lucky to have children. I always wanted to be a mom, and I am so blessed to have 2 healthy children. So many people cannot have children. So many people have children, but they are not healthy. Having two healthy, noisy, smiling kids is nothing to take for granted!4. Listen to music - Music can take me to another place - and when I need to, I just sit back and let it take me wherever.5. Go to the movies - I don't go to the movies often, but there have been a couple of times in particular where I've seen a movie when I was depressed, and it was great to sit in that dark theater and let my mind go someplace else for awhile.6. Help people - People always say this - "Oh, help someone else, and you'll feel better" - but it's true (at least for me). Turn on some great music, go through your closet and donate your old clothes to a women's shelter.7. Go shopping - THIS WORKS! It's amazing that it works, but it really works! You don't have to spend a fortune ... go to the outlets or to the dollar store - but there's something about treating yourself to the indulgence of shopping for a few hours that is so soothing to the soul. 8. Know you're not alone - You are not alone. Lots of people are depressed. The key is recognizing the depression and knowing that you have the power to work through it.Good luck and God bless.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:46 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,743,388 times
May I suggest start a new routine on how you do things..take an hour today and tomorrow and really enjoy something and in a couple of days two hours and so on and before you know it you will have an entire good day. It can be something as small as a bubble bath with lit candles.

Baby steps versus doing it all at once.

I wish you the best .. be good to yourself.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:27 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,895,471 times
Try God, continue therapy, and find the gift that you have to give to the world. Everyone has a passion or mission that they believe in.........helping the homeless, effecting our youth, teaching others how to read or something else. When you focus on giving -instead of just your situation - you can see so much clearer and meet other people who share your passion. Trust me.

Stop thinking of what you don't have and thank God for what you do have. A husband and children who depend on you.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:30 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
I would say go volunteer in Africa or any other country where the GDP is less than $1000 a year and it will be a right awakening about life.

I'd say if you have your health, a roof over your head, clean water, decent food and a place to take a dump, you are doing better than quite a lot of the world's population.

Often I think people are trying to leech happiness off of other people and situations. Really the answers are right there inside themselves. And I think that's why we have to change and evolve and seek out new things to keep our minds occupied.

One big change I find for people to make is to change the mindset from how can I be served to how can I serve my fellow man. Someone told me that years ago and I had to digest it for a while and it has totally changed me. At work I think about how I can serve my students rather than how I am there for personal fun and a paycheck. It changes my attitude completely in a positive way and I end up getting more out of it than before. Same with family and friends, instead of thinking what everyone can do for me, I think how I can serve my friends and family with my skills or knowledge or just my presence.

And I am not talking about being a slobbering pedantic foot kisser slave, not at all. I'm talking about finding ways of being of service to people and the world in general. Basically taking your positive attributes and skills and putting them to work for the world.

I think you'll be surprised how much you get back in return.

Rather that than sitting around waiting for the world to "make you happy" and what all these other people need to do for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships