Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 05:41 PM

31,036 posts, read 22,070,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
You obviously don't have kids. Cause if you did, you'd know that mothers will sacrifice a great deal for their kids, even at the expense of their own (the mother's) happiness. That's why the second scenario you described, where the woman walked away because the man was too nice or boring, is incredibly unlikely. As for the first scenario, where the woman trusted the wrong person, here's my question to you. Is someone who was a poor judge of character in the past STILL a poor judge of character? People make all kinds of mistakes in their youth. But people also tend to learn from their mistakes. Which means the single mom you're quick to condemn as a poor judge of character probably isn't a poor judge anymore. If anything, being a mom has probably caused her to be far more cautious and less likely to trust the wrong people, meaning her judgement has improved.
Well said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 11:26 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,228,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I'm not gay but would take a male version of Jet Jockey over a single dad anytime. I'm a straight woman but can never understand a man's logic in choosing a single mom over a childless woman. To be honest I suspect a lot of men do this when she is a never married mom because they assume she is easy.
Because its likely not a choice, its that single moms are all that are avalible to some guys. So its single moms or your right hand. If they are less attractive single moms then they can be fiercly loyal and a great partner. There are some draw backs but what is the alternative, a kate upton who does not snore and wants to move in with you and do what ever you want in bed who does not exist as a choice.

I am glad my friends and coworkers don't look down upon me for my lot in life with dating.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:44 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I'm not gay but would take a male version of Jet Jockey over a single dad anytime. I'm a straight woman but can never understand a man's logic in choosing a single mom over a childless woman. To be honest I suspect a lot of men do this when she is a never married mom because they assume she is easy.
All else being equal, most men would probably choose the childless woman over the single mom. But things are never that simple. I could meet a terrific woman that I have lots in common with, but who just happens to have a kid. Or I could meet a childless woman I have little in common with. Should I opt for the latter since she doesn't have a kid? You talk about logic as if all men will select women the same way. But not all men see a woman already having a child as that big a deal. And as for single moms being easy, that's funny. Most single moms don't have time for sex. They can't just dump the kid off at the sitter's everytime the guy she's dating wants sex. And if a guy is looking for someone easy, there are plenty of childless women who are easy.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:49 AM

787 posts, read 780,759 times
I went out for drinks with two female co-workers after work last Thursday before the long weekend. We somehow got on the subject of kids. One woman is a single mother in her early 30s with a two year old daughter. She flat out said she wants six more kids. Then she started describing how she loves the birth process.

Then she asked me if I wanted kids. I really didn't know what to say so I said, "Eventually ... with the right woman."

She is beautiful and very nice. I can't see myself getting involved with someone who has a kid. Maybe that's due to me being a young 20-something working professional who has his **** together. Maybe it's due to my upbringing. My parents have been married 29 years and have known each other for almost 40 years. Their parents have stayed together even longer. There are no divorces is my immediate and extended families.

I have co-workers who are on their second marriages with kids from their current wife and ex-wife. I talked to the current wife of one of my co-workers and she talked to me about this woman with the 2 year old daughter and said I should not dismiss her just because of that. So I am not allowed to have preferences?

Maybe it will change as I get older. This is just the way I feel.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:04 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Slugger View Post
I have co-workers who are on their second marriages with kids from their current wife and ex-wife. I talked to the current wife of one of my co-workers and she talked to me about this woman with the 2 year old daughter and said I should not dismiss her just because of that. So I am not allowed to have preferences?
Who says you're not allowed to have preferences? She's just telling you not to rule out this person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships