Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:54 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,297,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
What about loving yourself?

Oh I hate the cheesy romantic movies. They give women such a false sense of what the perfect man/relationshiop should be, in my opinion. Women are forever disappointed because their boyfriend isn't like one of those fall to the floor and pour his heart out type guys in such bullturd movies like He's Just Not That Into You.
I know people who actually take those movies to heart! They're like "I want someone like so-and-so from that one movie". I'm like, ummmm, he doesn't exist! Its a romantic comedy, get over it!

Just like men with their unrealistic expectations on what a woman should look like, I think women have the same unrealistic standards. A lot of us want a Disney story. In both cases, it makes for a lot of frustration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 01:31 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
Titanic has nothing on the men I have loved.

(Runs away quickly).

Old 07-15-2010, 09:27 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutEve View Post
I know people who actually take those movies to heart! They're like "I want someone like so-and-so from that one movie". I'm like, ummmm, he doesn't exist! Its a romantic comedy, get over it!

Just like men with their unrealistic expectations on what a woman should look like, I think women have the same unrealistic standards. A lot of us want a Disney story. In both cases, it makes for a lot of frustration.
Great point. For a lot of women I think they should add one of those warnings (like contains violence):

Warning: this movie contains unrealistic romantic content

/lol

Old 07-15-2010, 11:16 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
What about loving yourself?

Oh I hate the cheesy romantic movies. They give women such a false sense of what the perfect man/relationshiop should be, in my opinion. Women are forever disappointed because their boyfriend isn't like one of those fall to the floor and pour his heart out type guys in such bullturd movies like He's Just Not That Into You.
self love is tricky. no mirror that is the bad part, leads to selfishness, selfwill self love self justification, the 3 great adamants of error.
we need to be impersonal with our love, the rain falls on the good and the bad.
many love others and exclude themselves. treat others good and themselves bad. this is unjust. this is also classic textbook codependence.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:22 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Great point. For a lot of women I think they should add one of those warnings (like contains violence):

/lol
There needs to be stickers on Jane Austen novels, as well. Oh, Captain Wentworth, why aren't you real?

Old 07-15-2010, 12:20 PM

951 posts, read 1,810,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Men started to figure this out starting about 35 years ago.
And as you have correctly pointed out, their participation rate in the institution of marriage has been dropping rapidly ever since.

I noted that Beavis and Butthead are making a comeback. Are they now mainstream marriage material?

Old 07-15-2010, 03:18 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,017 times
I have the opposite issue. My hubby is waaaaay more romantic than me. Sometimes I feel guilty. No fault of my own, but I am not a mushy, touchy feely gal. I don't like cut flowers, give me a plant that won't die. Don't get me chocolates, how about some fruit? I never turn down a foot rub, but I honestly never think to give one unless asked for. (maybe cause I don't like to be touched that much myself?)

I really dont understand ladies that want the whole big wedding thing. Thousands of $$ on a dress? That you wear for one day?? Thousands for a party? Really? I was married by a JP in my in laws living room with my and his immediate family only. I wanted to 'be married', not 'get married'.Oh, and we've been married for 18 years now. Wonder how much that plays a role.

I hate spending so much money on freakin greeting cards and such. Maybe deep deep down, I'm the guy and he's the gal! LOL I am an optimist, but also a realist. Hearts and flowers are nice, but in a real relationship, it fluctuates. Sometimes I get the 'how can I miss you if you won't go away?" feeling. I can tell he does at times too, but there is also the deep comfort of curling up in the winter and having the bone deep contentment that only comes when you realize your love is also your best friend. I don't think the media really gets that part of it.

Sorry if that was an off tangent ramble.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:22 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,211,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

/lol
Lol!

Old 07-15-2010, 09:22 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
There needs to be stickers on Jane Austen novels, as well. Oh, Captain Wentworth, why aren't you real?
And I'd still read them over and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships