Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 02:23 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,744,028 times

Advertisements

What is the cheapest way to get married? How much will it cost in Texas?

How can I protect my Assets just incase a divorce happens? What needs to happen in the pre-marital agreement?

Old 07-14-2010, 02:25 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,293,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
What is the cheapest way to get married? How much will it cost in Texas?

How can I protect my Assets just incase a divorce happens? What needs to happen in the pre-marital agreement?

First of all are you a man or a woman and have you agreed on a simple wedding?Do you want a ceremony or a shot gun style wedding in Vegas?

To protect your assets I suggest talking with your SO and working out a simple agreement that factors in years married and any potential for children and providing for them even if you do not plan on having children.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaKintobor View Post
First of all are you a man or a woman and have you agreed on a simple wedding?Do you want a ceremony or a shot gun style wedding in Vegas?

To protect your assets I suggest talking with your SO and working out a simple agreement that factors in years married and any potential for children and providing for them even if you do not plan on having children.
Male.

No ceremony.

Just the basic paper work. Why certain years? What if the marriage lasted like 40 years?

No potential for a kid either.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:30 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,387,746 times
So, it sounds like your adventure being a player, has gone well.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
So, it sounds like your adventure being a player, has gone well.
Lol.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:31 PM

40,930 posts, read 48,952,149 times
As a fellow Texan and living in a community property state, I'd like to recommend you talk to a good attorney and do it correctly. It could be the best money you ever spend.

But... If you bring assets into the marriage and keep them separate then I believe they are all yours if you leave the marriage. If you sell your assets and co-mingle the money in a joint account then it becomes community property. So keep your stuff separate and don't put her name on it.

If you are an older guy that has been down the road of marriage & kids, why then get married ?

Also, you can get a Justice of the Peace to do it for very little. Or I own a small boat and as Captain I'll do it for free. (You tell her it's legal)

If you live together without marriage but present yourself as married you could be common law married. That might be the cheapest way to go but I'd go to the justice of the peace.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:34 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,293,122 times
Quote:
Male.

No ceremony.

Just the basic paper work. Why certain years? What if the marriage lasted like 40 years?

No potential for a kid either.

Because in some states if you are married for a certain number of years the SO is automatically entitled to half of the estate plus benefit payments for a number of years after the divorce.My suggestion for you is to get a good lawyer after you and your wife come to an agreement and go in together.

Even with no potential for a kid you should still put that in the paper trail and be sure that the children must be DNA tested and proven to be yours.Some states will still consider the child to be your responsibility even though you are not the father if the birth occured while you were still married!

Old 07-14-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
As a fellow Texan and living in a community property state, I'd like to recommend you talk to a good attorney and do it correctly. It could be the best money you ever spend.

But... If you bring assets into the marriage and keep them separate then I believe they are all yours if you leave the marriage. If you sell your assets and co-mingle the money in a joint account then it becomes community property. So keep your stuff separate and don't put her name on it.

If you are an older guy that has been down the road of marriage & kids, why then get married ?

Also, you can get a Justice of the Peace to do it for very little. Or I own a small boat and as Captain I'll do it for free. (You tell her it's legal)

If you live together without marriage but present yourself as married you could be common law married. That might be the cheapest way to go but I'd go to the justice of the peace.
How much is an average cost with an attorney? You mean I don't have to have a joint account? I have never been married before nor I have any kids and I am 32 years old now. What is a common law married? Is this something different?

Old 07-14-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaKintobor View Post
Because in some states if you are married for a certain number of years the SO is automatically entitled to half of the estate plus benefit payments for a number of years after the divorce.My suggestion for you is to get a good lawyer after you and your wife come to an agreement and go in together.

Even with no potential for a kid you should still put that in the paper trail and be sure that the children must be DNA tested and proven to be yours.Some states will still consider the child to be your responsibility even though you are not the father if the birth occured while you were still married!
How many is that in Texas? Also do I have the rights to abort a child?

Old 07-14-2010, 02:41 PM

40,930 posts, read 48,952,149 times
Quote:
How much is an average cost with an attorney? You mean I don't have to have a joint account? I have never been married before nor I have any kids and I am 32 years old now. What is a common law married? Is this something different?
You need to Google "Common Law Marriage". Basically it means if you call yourself married, present yourself to others as Mr & Mrs User and hold joint accounts, then the great State of TX says you must be married.

Are you bringing a lot of assets to the marriage ? You own a home ?

If you have a job that money can go into a joint account. If you have a couple of hundred thousand grandma left you, then that needs to stay separate (forever).

Any assets you had before married can stay yours as long as you don't put her name on it.

There again, I'm not an attorney. You might need one if you have a net worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships