Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:08 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,473,258 times

Advertisements

I'm 19. I am certainly not old, but I'm not getting younger either and I'm only going to get older. It seems like when you're younger (high school and younger), people expect less out of you so relationships are easier. But in college people expect more out of you and they're only going to expect more as I get older. I won't be able to live up to their expectations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 11:17 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
You don't have to live up to anyone's expectations. Don't focus too much on relationships during college. Keep things simple, date different people until you form a friendship with one of them and it blossoms into something nice. Then enjoy the ride until it either wears itself out or perhaps turns into something more permanent. Don't complicate your life with serious relationships right now, get passing grades and focus on your future. If you have your shyt together as an adult you'll have more options when it comes to dating.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:26 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
^^^^This.

I'll add that college is for learning, not just through books, but about yourself and the world around you. Soak it all in. This is probably going to be one of the best times of your life. It was for me, and 22 years later, my friends and I still crack up about the things we did. Enjoy it with the intention of laughing over the pictures on Facebook 20 years from now.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:52 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
I completely agree with Coolhand68 and Avienne.

The more you experience the more confident you'll become and with that confidence will come the ability to live up to YOUR expectations.

Have fun and learn, it's all about the journey

Last edited by Djuna; 07-21-2010 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: I had to change the 69 to 68.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:54 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
LOL,

Coming from a 19 year old, this is kind of funny. You'll grow, you'll be fine, you'll want more from relationships yourself.

Live your life, don't worry about whats going to happen tomorrow, and just be young.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:02 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Not sure if you are male or female but as a guy I remember the time from about 19 to 23 being one of the hardest. As a guy you want to be independent and confident, yet at that age you are dependent on others for money, you lack a good job and cannot be totally independent.

Nows the time to go to school or join the military and grow into becoming the wise independent adult. Get a little crazy at times and learn to be your own person.

Someday you can look back and say "Yeah I did that once but that was when I was in college" and get a free pass. At your age it's time to experiment and grown into who you want to become.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:30 PM

951 posts, read 1,811,464 times
This is probably the biggest change over the past few decades. When female enrolment at college was between 30 and 40 % (and often under 5% in the tougher, employment related faculties) young men men had a lot of competition to face. Many, if they could, kept up with a high school girlfriend and unless something developed, they had a fall back position.

Those who couldn't do this, found that the prospects were quite bleak, once they entered the world of work. Most of the women their age they encountered there were married. What was left was not that appealing and besides, they had 5 to 10 single men around for every one of them. Usually, they were interested in the eleventh. At that age I was initially surprised by the number of single men, with good jobs, approaching their mid 30s since women were always complaining how hard they were to find! Most, for one reason or another, were not able to fish in pools with younger women even though they regularly got blamed for this.

Today, the opposite situation has occurred. Many colleges have 60 to 65% female enrolment and many now graduate college without being married or even in a serious relationship. Such women want a spouse with s similar level of education.

Find a job where such women are hired and not only will there be plenty of opportunities but you will then have the funds to do date the way you want to without puting yourself deeper in educational debt. College should be for fun and an experience, not the last chance to find relationship.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:10 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,473,258 times
I guess what I was trying to say is sometimes I wish I had more relationships when I was younger. People didn't expect as much out of me so relationships were easier and more stress-free. Of course, at the time I didn't think my relationship was stress-free. But looking back, I've realized there are fewer expectations.

I never want to get married but I know people my age that are thinking about marriage.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:13 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I guess what I was trying to say is sometimes I wish I had more relationships when I was younger.
?? You mean when you were like 13??

Old 07-22-2010, 01:48 PM

148 posts, read 409,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I'm 19. I am certainly not old, but I'm not getting younger either and I'm only going to get older. It seems like when you're younger (high school and younger), people expect less out of you so relationships are easier. But in college people expect more out of you and they're only going to expect more as I get older. I won't be able to live up to their expectations.
What are your expectations of yourself? Wisdom comes with age and experience. You will always disappoint someone; and someone will always want more from you even when you think you have given your all.

Maybe you should strive for peace within. Take your time and live your life. Please yourself first - be proud of who and what you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships