Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 01:22 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,007 times

Advertisements

I have always thought that the best test of a serious relationships is being able to survive each other on a cross country "road trip". Even better if it was in an old car. What more can give a person insight into each other's temperments and how they handle every day situations? Imagine being stuck in a blizzard near Buffalo,NY when I-90 is closed,you have a flat and have to find a Wal Mart to return a Nintendo Christmas present to repair the car so you can make it home? If both can laugh at this sort of thing, it says a lot. (ok, true story)

I've told my 19 year old daughter that before she decides to marry, she MUST drive from East to West with the SO. What other types of "tests" do you think one should try beforehand? I've never even considered another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 01:34 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
They need to make up a budget....on paper and stick to it for 6 months. The budget needs to be strict and have a savings goal. If they can't do it, they aren't ready for marriage.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:40 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
We had a huge test...we came back from our honeymoon to find that our brand new, not yet lived in apartment where we had been storing all our wedding gifts had flooded while we were away. (A sewer pipe had backed up, so it wasn't even clean water...)

We spent the first two weeks back from our marriage on the phone with insurance people and the apartment complex, sleeping on friends' couches (so much for making a home together!) while waiting for the insurance money to come in so we could replace all the stuff.

It was definitely a good test (we passed!) but I wouldn't wish it on anyone...

Old 07-22-2010, 01:52 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
One assists the other with a household repair.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:55 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
To me the ultimate test is surviving a do-it-yourself move together. Excellent way to test the marriage and your sanity.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:01 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
To me the ultimate test is surviving a do-it-yourself move together. Excellent way to test the marriage and your sanity.
Oh yes, we've done a couple of those now too. They're always high stress. (And somehow I always get sick during them too!)

Old 07-22-2010, 02:19 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,305,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
What other types of "tests" do you think one should try beforehand? I've never even considered another.
Renovations.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:22 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
#1. Distance.

#2. Infidelity.

#3. Loss of income because of being laid-off work.

#4. Mother-in-law moving in.

(the above not necessarily in any particular order of importance).

Old 07-22-2010, 03:44 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
I have always thought that the best test of a serious relationships is being able to survive each other on a cross country "road trip". Even better if it was in an old car. What more can give a person insight into each other's temperments and how they handle every day situations? Imagine being stuck in a blizzard near Buffalo,NY when I-90 is closed,you have a flat and have to find a Wal Mart to return a Nintendo Christmas present to repair the car so you can make it home? If both can laugh at this sort of thing, it says a lot. (ok, true story)

I've told my 19 year old daughter that before she decides to marry, she MUST drive from East to West with the SO. What other types of "tests" do you think one should try beforehand? I've never even considered another.
Well, moving to another state without having any job opportunities, or family, with a child was not only a risky move, but also a test of our relationship.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:50 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,988 times
I think all couples, while they're at their peak, should spend a week apart. My brother and SIL both agree the first 5 years of their marriage would have been SO much better if they had learned the kind of love you gain from being apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships