Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:56 PM

373 posts, read 1,471,470 times

Advertisements

So here is the scenario. I would consider myself somewhere in between agnostic and buddhist. I recently prayed for restoration with regards to relationships. I wasn't specific and not even really sure why that is what I threw out to the universe, other than the fact that I felt my life was somewhat fractured.

Within a week I was contacted, or ran into, more than a half dozen people from my past. Some were family I had lost touch with, some were old friends. But there was this one friend in particular that has me really perplexed.

I considered her a sister. We were extremely close. My religous views began to grow and she was born a christian, it is in her DNA. I could except this but she could not except that my views were expanding. Anyway, she just stopped speaking to me. This was 7 years ago. Then, 2 weeks ago, she contacts me and says God has put me on her heart. I thought I would be glad but I am surprised that I feel nothing.

I do think I should meet with her since I prayed for restoration but I am having trouble finding the point. I don't want to throw an answered prayer but I have to admit I am struggling.

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 10:38 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times
Why do you need to have an answer yet? Simply accept with gratitude the path that has been opened to you, and explore matters with an open eye as it unfolds.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:18 PM

525 posts, read 947,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCruzes View Post
So here is the scenario. I would consider myself somewhere in between agnostic and buddhist. I recently prayed for restoration with regards to relationships. I wasn't specific and not even really sure why that is what I threw out to the universe, other than the fact that I felt my life was somewhat fractured.

I considered her a sister. We were extremely close. My religous views began to grow and she was born a christian, it is in her DNA. I could except this but she could not except that my views were expanding. Anyway, she just stopped speaking to me. This was 7 years ago. Then, 2 weeks ago, she contacts me and says God has put me on her heart. I thought I would be glad but I am surprised that I feel nothing.

I do think I should meet with her since I prayed for restoration but I am having trouble finding the point. I don't want to throw an answered prayer but I have to admit I am struggling.

What would you do?

What would I do? I would explain to her that the reason 'God has placed me on her heart' is because recently 'I prayed for restoration with regards to relationships.' Don't worry, it's just the natural workings of the Lord. This way you don't have to throw out an unanswered prayer..

Old 07-23-2010, 08:54 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,465,732 times
When the heart is opened, it will be filled.

However, nothing says it will be filled with healthy love or compassion - it could be toxic just as easily! Even toxic people can be treated with love and compassion, but you don't have to make them part of your life.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:23 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,669,360 times
Quote:

Within a week I was contacted, or ran into, more than a half dozen people from my past. Some were family I had lost touch with, some were old friends. But there was this one friend in particular that has me really perplexed.

What would you do?
Just write her a nice email and call it a day. I don't understand why you see this as a dilemma.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:13 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:

What would you do?

Life is short. Appreciate the time you've got with the people you care about - even when you don't see eye to eye on the minutia of life

You got what you asked for, now you want to squander the gift??

Old 07-23-2010, 11:14 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,771,833 times
I would say there is no such thing as divine intervention, chalk it up as a coincidence, and ask yourself how much you missed this friend in the past 7 years. If you already got over the fact that she simply cut you out of her life without any explanation, then why look back? This doesn't seem like a relationship that needed repair, it was over when she chose not to talk to you anymore. Now she's saying that god steered her your way, pfffft...as though she didn't feel compelled within her own heart to reach out, she had to add that caveat about god putting you on her heart.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:21 PM

548 posts, read 1,216,757 times
You asked for restoration and it seems like this person meant a lot to you at one point. I would give it a shot -- you aren't risking anything and you might reclaim an old friendship.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:00 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,942,278 times
You are reading about a guy who put up a fight anytime I was lead along.

"Go this way." "NO..I'll go this way thank you."

Over the years I have grown to realize you should allow yourself to be lead along sometimes.

You should be like clay and be molded.

I was lead one time and refused and found myself in a tight situation later. Shoulda listened.

How many examples of people who are delayed from doing something only to find they miss a dangerous situation that could have involved them.

Take the time to yield to others directions.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:55 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,046,804 times
I think you're afraid to act because of the shock that your prayer was actually answered, or answered in a way that you didn't expect, and the uncertainty of where it will take you....

I would give it a chance, because if she were that close to me, and I let the opportunity go, I might feel worse if I later found that it was my last opportunity....

What's there to lose? It's usually easier to say: "I did/tried...", instead of "I wish I did/tried...".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships