Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 08:30 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times

Advertisements

I divorced after 25 years of marriage. She left and filed for separation, I counter-filed for divorce. I takes vows seriously but I also believe they can be broken or you can be released from them by the behavior of the other.

A good marriage is hard work; any successful relationship is. If I'd worked harder at it perhaps the first marriage would have lasted but for a variety of reasons I'm glad it didn't. So are my children!

My current wife and I are in our 14th year of marriage. There are no gurantees but I think this one will last. The first one shouldn't have lasted as long as it did!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 08:30 AM

37,604 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Those people who say marriage means nothing to those who get divorced. One guy I spoke to told me marriage was "like a broken iPhone - you just go out and get a new one."

What are people expected to do if they're unhappy? Live a life of misery because they don't want to dishonour their vows?
I don't get the point of this post.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:37 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't get the point of this post.
Neither do I.

DennyCrane made a great post above though.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:42 AM

301 posts, read 827,261 times
See my thread, "STUCK".

Old 07-23-2010, 08:45 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Mad? I wouldn't get mad. If it were my friends, I would be sad.

I do roll my eyes when it's obviously a case of morons getting married when they weren't ready for it...the other day, my friend (a week out from her marriage) was bemoaning the fact that her husband-to-be didn't want to discuss finances - that it made him uncomfortable, so she wasn't going to press the issue. I was like, "Are y'all morons?" And these are people in their 40s on their second marriage!

Old 07-23-2010, 08:47 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,398,319 times
I don't know. As young as I am, when I hear people get divorce I get sad. I know, people are thinking it's none of my business and blah blah but I don't know. I guess I value relationships and the beauty of it, whether I know them or not. No, not pity. People tend to think I pity when I think it's only compassion, I think...Maybe I do get a little bit mad.. but I think saddness tend to take over. Try to completely understand would help a lot.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:48 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,549,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Mad? I wouldn't get mad. If it were my friends, I would be sad.

I do roll my eyes when it's obviously a case of morons getting married when they weren't ready for it...the other day, my friend (a week out from her marriage) was bemoaning the fact that her husband-to-be didn't want to discuss finances - that it made him uncomfortable, so she wasn't going to press the issue. I was like, "Are y'all morons?" And these are people in their 40s on their second marriage!
yes because finances are important. the last thing you want to do is marry a lazy, irresponsible, bum.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:53 AM

408 posts, read 809,304 times
I guess it makes us non-married couples lose faith in marriage IMO. My parents have been married for 23 yrs. but almost every single one of my friends parents are divorced...I'm the minority which is very strange to me. So, even I--whose parents are still together have pretty much lost faith in marriage for the most part. My boyfriend's mother is on her 4th, or 5th marriage ( I couldn't even tell ya) which is absolutely ridiculous to me. I would think after the 2nd failed marriage, possibly 3rd--people would choose NOT to marry but just be together. I personally, never want to divorce and that is probably why I'm still dating my boyfriend of 5 yrs. I would def. not remarry after a 2nd failed marriage though, that's for certain.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:54 AM

37,604 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Neither do I.

DennyCrane made a great post above though.

He sure did. Thanks for pointing that out - I had not seen it.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:25 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,215,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's a blanket statement with a kernal of truth. Hey, there are tons of very very good reasons to get a divorce and we read them in this thread all the time. However, there are a lot of people that frankly are unsuited for the commitment.
And we need to tell those people that is ok rather than demonizing them. Society (at least in the US) is waaay to obsessed with marriage and other ideas of commitment, like home ownership, which is clearly not the best idea for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships