U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 01:38 AM

1,994 posts, read 2,942,142 times

Advertisements

Those people who say marriage means nothing to those who get divorced. One guy I spoke to told me marriage was "like a broken iPhone - you just go out and get a new one."

What are people expected to do if they're unhappy? Live a life of misery because they don't want to dishonour their vows?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 01:44 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,018,599 times
IMO , it's due to a rapidly proliferating inability to mind one's own business.
Regarding divorce itself , IDK , as I have never been married.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:04 AM

20,284 posts, read 23,834,328 times
What on earth is wrong with being unhappy! I enjoy being unhappy, it makes the time go slower.

Whenever I'm happy, time goes so much faster, I feel like I'm sitting in the backseat of a car, with an unknown driver, hurtling me like a rocket towards death!

Old 07-23-2010, 04:08 AM

1,030 posts, read 2,452,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Those people who say marriage means nothing to those who get divorced. One guy I spoke to told me marriage was "like a broken iPhone - you just go out and get a new one."

What are people expected to do if they're unhappy? Live a life of misery because they don't want to dishonour their vows?
That's what God would have wanted.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:53 AM

26,732 posts, read 24,221,463 times
Quote:

I wonder why so many take vows if they feel marriage is like a broken iphone. Traditional vows do say, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:07 AM

1,856 posts, read 3,195,320 times
i think because people are not trying to make it work...its easier to walk out then to make the marriage work. Thats why our divorce rate is so high.

I am coming up on my 1st year anniversary and my marriage has been tough. And its comes with getting along with someone you are going to be with forever. But thank god it does get easier because as long as my husband doesnt cheat on me I can make the rest work.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:52 AM

59,302 posts, read 46,352,704 times
Quote:

It's a blanket statement with a kernal of truth. Hey, there are tons of very very good reasons to get a divorce and we read them in this thread all the time. However, there are a lot of people that frankly are unsuited for the commitment.

Personally, I don't care what other people do with their lives and there will always exists people that make bad decisions or are unsuited for relationships (of any type) etc. etc.

I will say that if I'm out dating and I find out someone was only married a short time and got divorced that I'd be hoping to hear a pretty good reason like their spouse got involved in drugs or cheated on them etc.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:39 AM

25,953 posts, read 28,268,961 times
I don't know if it's so much mad as it is sad. We all want to believe marriage works and when we see it doesn't it chips away at our belief system. The reasons may make people mad. But I think in the long run it's sadness. There is a fairy tale belief to marriage in general and this gets dispelled with each marriage that crumbles. Plus, who do you keep as the friend?

I read something once that people get married in a church and divorced in a court and if they got divorced in a church there would be less of them. Right or wrong I don't know.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:22 AM

8,519 posts, read 14,332,793 times
Quote:

I think people only get mad when they see people who aren't even trying to save their marriage. So if someone treats their marriage like an iPhone meaning it's easily replaced, then it's clear that they don't take marriage very seriously, in which case they probably shouldn't have gotten married in the first place. What I don't understand is why people let other people's failures shake their faith in the institution of marriage. Why should you let what happens to someone else cause you to question whether marriage works? 95% of dieters fail to lose weight and keep it off. Should I conclude that losing weight is impossible and therefore I should never try? Of course not. People are so quick to look at the failures instead of the successes. If 50% of marriages fail, instead of concluding that marriage is a failed institution, why not ask what the 50% whose marriages lasted did differently? Or is there something specific about them that distinguishes them from the ones who failed at it? Maybe they were willing to work on it instead of treating it like an iPhone. Not saying everyone who divorces is like this. But there's quite a lot of people who are.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:26 AM

36,767 posts, read 40,914,834 times
I think most men look at divorce in their 1st marriage as a major failure and we want to avoid failing whenever possible. It is probably easier to walk away the more times you do it. After the 3rd or 4th failure you'd think people would learn better ways to do things like not getting married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships