Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2010, 09:16 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,684,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
W/ so many methods today, you really don't need anyone to have sex with in order to get the experience
if I don't find "the one" by, say, age 40 I'll just get a fleshlight and a dog. The dog will serve the role of being your lifelong companion and the fleshlight will serve the role of sex

Old 08-28-2010, 02:21 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,176,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
A lot of people (especially women) find it hard to believe that women would CHOOSE to be single. I think they are just emphasizing the fact that “no, it’s not that I can’t find anyone to love me, I actually ENJOY being on my own”.
If that's the case, just say: I'm single.

There's no need to add the "by choice".

Old 08-28-2010, 02:48 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,379,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I'm not single now, but when I was, I chose to be because I liked it. Those of you who think no one actually wants to be or likes being single are living in the same cramped mental prison with the people I mentioned above.

These experiences might also cause one to be careful, not settle, wait for the right person, take their time. I don't see how any of this is such a stretch for some of you, or a bad thing, unless misery wants company and/or you stand to benefit from someone with no standards at all.
I think that misery does want company, PTC. I see it all of the time. A woman friend of mine is in the process of divorcing, and she wants to find someone beforehand. Needless to say, she's not exactly being picky. As I've said many times before, there's someone for everybody, no matter your age, looks, criminal record or status of employment (or lack thereof). It's easy to get into a relationship--during the past year, I had ample opportunities. All with the wrong men. Why put myself through another inevitably messy breakup?

Old 08-28-2010, 05:18 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,320,927 times
Single by choice means u r not desperate, willing to settle or do anything u don't want to. The best analogy I can think of is a person who can get on any bus that passes by their stop, but choose not to take one.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:09 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,211,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
If that's the case, just say: I'm single.

There's no need to add the "by choice".
There is. A lot of people say the old “oh, so why’s a pretty girl like you single?”. What are you supposed to say then?

Old 08-29-2010, 08:25 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,633,972 times
"I haven't found the person I want to be in a relationship with."

And it's true for me. There aren't very many people who still subscribe to traditional gender roles, unless you're Amish or something, and the Amish really don't accept converts.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:35 AM

30,295 posts, read 51,904,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
Society is geared for couples. So if you are single, you are always being questioned about your status, by family members, friends, co-workers, etc. There's an assumption that being single is a problem that needs a solution.

Many people are not very tactful with their questions and imply that you must be defective in some way. It's offensive and even when the questions are well-meaning, it gets tiresome.

For me, the response "single by choice" was a polite way of saying "mind your own business" and/or "No, I really don't want to be set up with your unemployed nephew".
This is all SO true! I've been single for quite a few years now, and my friends are always saying "we need to find you a man." My answer is usually "why??" I could find one if I was that desperate to be coupled, but people just can't understand that I'm willing to wait - and not willing to bother with lousy/boring/useless relationships in the meantime. Why is that so hard to understand? I'm not craving male attention, so it's really annoying when other people try to convince me that I am.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:39 AM

30,295 posts, read 51,904,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
if I don't find "the one" by, say, age 40 I'll just get a fleshlight and a dog. The dog will serve the role of being your lifelong companion and the fleshlight will serve the role of sex
LOL. I already have the dog, and he's a better companion than ANY of my ex-boyfriends! Plus, when he hogs the bed I say "OFF" and he'll go sleep on the floor... how many human men listen that well?

Old 08-31-2010, 10:48 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,449,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
LOL. I already have the dog, and he's a better companion than ANY of my ex-boyfriends! Plus, when he hogs the bed I say "OFF" and he'll go sleep on the floor... how many human men listen that well?
Then if that's all you want, sounds like you found your "perfect man"!

And yeah, I agree about not adding the "by choice" part.... sounds a little too defensive (plus over-controlled & ashamed of needing anyone). Besides, like any other info. about our lives, who wants to know, anyway?!

Old 08-31-2010, 01:29 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,591,277 times
First of all you have to consider who is saying it to get the correct context. It can mean so many things:

1) The attractive person who wants to be single.
2) The person who has had back luck in relationships and is steering clear from relationships.
3) The person who wants to believe it's a choice when it's not (to feel better).
4) The person who gets tired of people asking why they are not settling down.

And so on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.