Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 11:15 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
I think a lot of women are glad that there aren't societal expectations in general, whether this means you have to be married by x age, have a house in the burbs, kids, etc. Its nice to be able to choose whether you want to be in a relationship or not and what that relationship looks like. And it's nice to not be expected to live in a house in the burb with kids.
I don't think you're even hitting on what I am talking about. I am not talking about expectations.

Last edited by Ron.; 09-03-2010 at 11:27 PM..

Old 09-03-2010, 11:22 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,582,975 times
Maybe not, but I don't understand what you are saying. In your original post you said that you can't imagine why women would say they like being single, that you think it just "sounds good" But then you say yourself that you have found relationships to be lackuster and uninteresting and you don't seem to want a relationship. I guess I don't understand why you find it strange for other people to say this, but not strange for you to say it yourself. I guess that is the link I'm missing here....

Old 09-03-2010, 11:23 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
Maybe not, but I don't understand what you are saying. In your original post you said that you can't imagine why women would say they like being single, that you think it just "sounds good" But then you say yourself that you have found relationships to be lackuster and uninteresting and you don't seem to want a relationship. I guess I don't understand why you find it strange for other people to say this, but not strange for you to say it yourself. I guess that is the link I'm missing here....
If you don't know what I am talking about why are you responding?

My most recent post is in response to Raena.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:25 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,582,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
If you don't know what I am talking about why are you responding?

My most recent post in response to Raena.
Fine, I apologize for trying to understand where you were coming from. Maybe you shouldn't quote me then if you aren't responding to me.

Last edited by MsRiss7383; 09-03-2010 at 11:35 PM..

Old 09-04-2010, 02:14 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,442,995 times
Default Anyone know someone who's permanently single by choice?

Back when I was younger, I used to belive in finding the right girl, i used to belive in monogamy and happily ever after and a honest, true, and good relationship. But the older I'm getting the less this appeals to me and the more it seems unlikely, and for quite some time ive been pondering the idea of becoming single permenantly.

I wouldnt rule out finding and marrying sombody, but at the moment, after my previous failed attempts, it's no longer a priority and if I feel fine the way i am living alone and going out with friends and the causual hook up. It's been awhile since ive felt strongly for someone(in love)

Anyone know someone who's permanently single or you yourself follow this type of lifestyle? Were they bitter, happy, satisfied?

Old 09-04-2010, 02:38 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,862 times
I have a very dear male friend of 30 yrs who is permanently single by choice. Although I was attracted to him when I met him in my early 20's and did have a relationship w/ him, I knew he wasn't the marrying kind and chose to keep a good friendship w/ him rather than get hurt. I married and kept him in my circle of friends. I watched him go through a couple long term relationships, always cheating on the side. We had some deep conversations throughout the years, and he was basically happy w/ his choices. After I divorced, I had a brief encounter w/ him again. We both loved eachother dearly as friends, we just weren't in love w/ eachother. Knowing him the way I did, I doubt I could ever trust him. I remarried and have lost some contact w/ him, but I know he's still single by choice.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:19 PM

98 posts, read 145,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
Back when I was younger, I used to belive in finding the right girl, i used to belive in monogamy and happily ever after and a honest, true, and good relationship. But the older I'm getting the less this appeals to me and the more it seems unlikely, and for quite some time ive been pondering the idea of becoming single permenantly.

I wouldnt rule out finding and marrying sombody, but at the moment, after my previous failed attempts, it's no longer a priority and if I feel fine the way i am living alone and going out with friends and the causual hook up. It's been awhile since ive felt strongly for someone(in love)

Anyone know someone who's permanently single or you yourself follow this type of lifestyle? Were they bitter, happy, satisfied?
You say when you were younger, how old are you now?

I'm 23, and I'm fine with being "permanently single." I love my friends and I'm just more focused on getting myself together personally before trying to take the dip into a long term, possible marriage situation. Some people call me a ****, or say that I have commitment issues, but I'm just figuring myself out. Some people I end up "dating" or hanging out with for a few weeks, some a couple months, or even a year. It's all very dependent on who's involved. I think at this point in time I'm also very selfish, so I'm focused on getting as much as I can out of life right now. That includes experiencing things, sexual, friend-wise, in any way. I just find being single or not permanently attached helps those things.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:40 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
I like my personal space and not to mention I am a carefree guy that likes to explore lots of things WITHOUT the "assistance" of someone else.

Very few women are like that(carefree). No to say if I did meet someone like that I'd marry her.
What's the point of that...? If each one will do his/her own thing only, why complicate your living arrangements with a roommate?! Makes no sense to me.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:55 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times
Quote:
I hear MOSTLY women say this. I always think is there any other reason why someone would be single other than it being their own choice?

I think they say it because they think is sounds nice rolling off of their lips. It really does not make any sense.

What does it mean?
It means, they are not single because nobody wants them but because they choose to be.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:25 PM

64 posts, read 114,224 times
I've said this before, but it's usually to men who say stupid crap like 'you're too fine to be single, there must be something wrong with you'. When I meet someone who makes me want to change my status, I will.

Quote:
I hear MOSTLY women say this. I always think is there any other reason why someone would be single other than it being their own choice?

I think they say it because they think is sounds nice rolling off of their lips. It really does not make any sense.

What does it mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships